PDA

View Full Version : Homelite chainsaw, two thumbs down.

Russ Jerome
03-20-2012, 10:20 PM
They may make heavy duty models but the 14" I bought 2 years ago from Home Depot was trouble since day one. I bought it and had a hell of a time getting it started the year we moved in, wrote it off. Last year masterd starting it after 50 or 60 pulls but would get fuel starved and die during use. This year with a whopping 30 minutes run time since new the F-er locked up solid, expect rings melted during lean fuel. Sitting in my garbage can, $150 wasted.

Just a heads up for home owners, Homelite has plenty of hate words online now that I researched.

Cryptic
03-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Heavy duty my ass. The stuff you buy at Sears/Home Depot/etc is not the same shit that you get at an implement store like Speedway, Olson's,

Buy yourself a Stihl Farm Boss (18" chain) or man up and buy a Stihl MS 660 w/ 24" and 36" chain for big jobs.... or both

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-RaTeY9S4oto/T2lnzzPYwgI/AAAAAAAACvc/rjt-xbxyKsY/s800/2012-03-21_00-29-36_251.jpg
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/15470_194194943390_517443390_3174822_5595697_n.jpg

73MACH
03-21-2012, 12:40 AM
I have a Husqvarna 455 rancher with a 20 inch bar......badass. I put it through some stuff since I bought it. 30 some trees in my yard, 4 years of cutting fire wood which is about 8 full face cords a year plus cedar cutting for deer stands or furniture. You have to go with quality and background on these things. I wish I would have gotten a little smaller one and then put a bigger bar on it. Mine is heavy as hell after awhile. I love the Stihl's also. Both are reliable. Remember, as with anything else, you get what you pay for.

Hope your next one treats you better. Any warranty??

Car Guy
03-21-2012, 12:47 AM
Buy yourself a Stihl Farm Boss (18" chain)

THIS^^^. I bought my father one of these years ago and used it a few times. I knew Stihl was seriously nice stuff but was not expecting it to do what I was doing. I was like a kid in a candy store dropping and chopping 50ft+ hard and softwood trees like a hot knife through butter. I remember paying $240 and thought that was a steal for what I was able to do......

wikked
03-21-2012, 01:57 AM
I have a Rigid electric chainsaw (lulz), but I'll be damned if that shit doesn't cut through whatever I throw at it.
Still runs great after ~5yrs.

lilws6
03-23-2012, 09:39 AM
The homolite my dad bought a couple years ago is dead now i was tying to cut some trees down in the back yard that the snow dragged over and it wouldn't stay running to save its life finally have up after it flung the chain and dug around the back of the garage for the old swedish built jonsered i knew i had stashed back there been sitting fr about 6 or so years brand new bar and chain and still full of gas oops. That fuckers got more compression than my dirt bike lol got her fired up on aybe the 5th pull (no prime bulb) and barely had to touch the throttle to cut the thing was acually torqy if you reved it quick. i don't know if i'll be able to find parts for it any more since i don't know how old it is but thats what i'de use :) looks just like this http://www.best-chain-saws-reviews.good-stuffblog.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/jonsered-chainsaw-chains.jpeg

wrath
03-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Should have bought the Husqvarna 235e/240e. Worth the $200 it costs (can get it "on sale" with a carrying case for the same price). 346xp (2lbs lighter than a 460 rancher) is a nice saw also but I prefer my little 235e. Emissions make it a pain to start but it runs whether it's 0 or 80 outside. Plus I don't care if I hurt a $200 saw.

indyzmike
03-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Homelite was bought out by Ryobi. I had to order some gaskets for my Homelite Vac Attack blower and saw the Ryobi name in with Homelite.
I have a Poulon Wild Thing chainsaw and it has been a good saw for the little that I use it. Lots of the Sears chainsaws are also Poulon.

wrath
03-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Husqvarna, which used to be owned by Electrolux owns Poulan and Jonsered. Many of the Sears outdoor equipment are either Electrolux or Poulan.

stenchmiester
03-26-2012, 07:48 AM
too clarify the above post electrolux got bought out by ayp who husqvarna then bought out

husqvarna has been making everything from guns knives chainsawas sewing machines u name it since the 1800 a great home owner/semi comercial saw is a 45 -460 ranger it will handle just about everything the normal person would throw at it. russ if ur interested in a nice husqvarna or echo saw give me a holler got some great deals going on at my work

jbiscuit
03-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Just a side note that my Homelite gas weed wacker sucks major donkey balls also. WILL NOT stay running no matter what you do to it. Cleaned carb, adjust carb, choke, no choke, doesn't matter runs exactly the same. Will idle but then you give it throttle and it dies. Serious pile of shit. Probably 3 years old. Works great when new and then deteriorates immediately after each use. Going to buy a commercial string trimmer this weekend.

Horrors
03-26-2012, 04:18 PM
hope you will do same things again :)

Cryptic
03-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Just a side note that my Homelite gas weed wacker sucks major donkey balls also. WILL NOT stay running no matter what you do to it. Cleaned carb, adjust carb, choke, no choke, doesn't matter runs exactly the same. Will idle but then you give it throttle and it dies. Serious pile of shit. Probably 3 years old. Works great when new and then deteriorates immediately after each use. Going to buy a commercial string trimmer this weekend.

I own a Stihl weed wacker too. Destroys everything even at half throttle. I've already been through this owning crap that lasts a season or two.

jbiscuit
03-27-2012, 07:29 AM
^ I was looking at the Stihl weed wackers online and they get good reviews. I have a nice landscaping equipment dealers near me that I am checking out tonight after work to see what he's got. Carries Husqvarna, Stihl, Toro, Poulon. I'll pay $250-400 for a string trimmer if the thing lasts!

fly5150
03-27-2012, 07:54 AM
455 Rancher. Best Chainsaw I've ever owned. I have a Stihl trimmer that was decent, now a Honda four stroke trimmer that rarely gets above an idle for grass, its a beast.

Slow Joe
04-02-2012, 08:47 PM
I got my homelite Weed Wacker at the direct tool outlet, it's on season #4 without any issues... I feel like the refurbished stuff is better than the original... Maybe they work the bugs out? LOL

jbiscuit
04-03-2012, 10:00 AM
^ that thing is on borrowed time. One tank of bad gas or anything and it will destroy the carb making the unit junk. I found a replacement carb for my Homelite on Ebay that I have picked up so I can replace it and get the thing running again but I'm buying an Echo string trimmer to replace this one.

Haulin' Oates
04-03-2012, 12:07 PM
I had an older echo string trimmer and hated it. I think it was realistically 15 years old but I remember that stupid thing being impossible to start from day one.

Cryptic
04-03-2012, 12:30 PM
^ I was looking at the Stihl weed wackers online and they get good reviews. I have a nice landscaping equipment dealers near me that I am checking out tonight after work to see what he's got. Carries Husqvarna, Stihl, Toro, Poulon. I'll pay $250-400 for a string trimmer if the thing lasts!

Go all out and get the stihl weed wacker that you can change the implement on the end... so it can be a weed wacker, an edger, or small till.

Ricky Bobby
04-03-2012, 01:52 PM
I got my homelite Weed Wacker at the direct tool outlet, it's on season #4 without any issues... I feel like the refurbished stuff is better than the original... Maybe they work the bugs out? LOL
operator error i have one that was given to me starts on 3rd pull everytime and gas sits in it yr round have had it for 7yrs, not the most powerful bugger but starts and gets the job done. Wish it would blow up so i can get a new nice one but damn thing wont die. Only thing is i run synthetic oil in the gas(was given to me by a neighbor for his racing boat that he sold)

77thor
04-03-2012, 06:22 PM
One thing that I've learned over the years is to not skimp when it comes to buying a chainsaw.
Forget price, buy quality. I like Stihl.

WilliamZ
04-03-2012, 11:21 PM
You get what you pay for. My Honda mower and snowblower that I bought forever ago still run like new. Replaced them with newer models. The only trimmer I ever bought was a Honda. One had gotten stolen. I've only had Stihl blowers and a chainsaw. Stihl & Honda are what I recommenced based on my personal experience.

wrath
04-04-2012, 04:37 AM
I have an antique Ryobi line trimmer that I bought new 18 years ago at a place called Quality Farm and Fleet (now defunct) when I used to mow lawns for a summer job. Never done any maintenance ever. I think the key to buying crap is to see what it's made from. Some stuff is easily identified as junk. Some stuff is worth buying junk because it's disposable or cobble-able.

jbiscuit
04-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Echo and Stihl are the best string trimmers you can buy hands down. Every lawn care company in the area will use one of those two brands almost exclusively. Nothing wrong with the Honda or Tanakas either however....those work awesome as well.

jbiscuit
04-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Go all out and get the stihl weed wacker that you can change the implement on the end... so it can be a weed wacker, an edger, or small till.

Don't need it to do anything but trim really so I'll be getting one of the newer Echo SRM series with the steel driveshaft. Their i-starters are mega badass....don't even have to prime the damn thing half the time!

Slow Joe
05-13-2012, 10:33 AM
I think I may have jinxed myself... The weedwacker won't start... :rolf I haven't tried cleaning the carb or anything like that yet...

Oh well, it was only $39.

Horrors
06-13-2012, 05:18 AM
I think that's right!