PDA

View Full Version : Federal Tire

DerangedPony
03-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Do any of you guys have experience with Federal Tires? I'm looking for a set of summer tires and I've heard good things about their SS-595 and 535 models plus they are super cheap ($311 shipped for a set of 205/50r15). Also, anyplace in the area sell them? It's either these or the Yokohama S.drives.

http://www.federaltire.com/en/index.php

Car Guy
03-20-2012, 01:43 PM
I have no personal experience with either tire but knowing tires like the back of my hand the Yokohama wins easily.....

WickedSix
03-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Only experience with federals was in the early aughties. Sold them as the bargain option after Kuhmos increased prices along with their popularity....not a horrible tire...soft compound...crappy wear....but ultra cheap.

Still have a set of their truck tire on a flatbed..10 years later..no complaints

Haulin' Oates
03-20-2012, 02:21 PM
The federals used to be popular, and maybe still are, with the drifters. They usually don't like sticky tires and burn them up fast so cheap is important. If you get them report back, I have been curious about them myself.

WhatsADSM
03-20-2012, 02:31 PM
FWIW, I hated my 595s when I had them I few years ago.

I guess I don't know what you are planning to do with the car in question. If it is just a daily driver, then yea getting a cheap summer tire is an okay idea. You don't really need anything crazy.

But if it is anything performance related then tires are not something I recommend skimping out on. A Dunlop Z1 Star Spec, Bridgestone RE-11, Yoko AD08, or even Kumho XS have dramatically more grip than the tires you are considering. For the price it will be hard to beat the performance of the Star Spec.

DerangedPony
03-20-2012, 05:17 PM
FWIW, I hated my 595s when I had them I few years ago.

I guess I don't know what you are planning to do with the car in question. If it is just a daily driver, then yea getting a cheap summer tire is an okay idea. You don't really need anything crazy.

But if it is anything performance related then tires are not something I recommend skimping out on. A Dunlop Z1 Star Spec, Bridgestone RE-11, Yoko AD08, or even Kumho XS have dramatically more grip than the tires you are considering. For the price it will be hard to beat the performance of the Star Spec.

I will be using them for DD and a few autocross events in H-stock. I was considering the Star Specs but I wasn't sure how they would be for a daily drive and how long they would last on the street. Also, after buying our first house, I am on a budget so I'm not sure if I can justify $80 more for the Star Specs (over the S.Drives) if they are not going to last very long.

WhatsADSM
03-20-2012, 05:53 PM
I will be using them for DD and a few autocross events in H-stock. I was considering the Star Specs but I wasn't sure how they would be for a daily drive and how long they would last on the street. Also, after buying our first house, I am on a budget so I'm not sure if I can justify $80 more for the Star Specs (over the S.Drives) if they are not going to last very long.

If you are just going to an auto-x to have fun and don't really care to be competitive then sure use whatever you want. Federals, or S drives will drive the car around cones. You could probably put winter tires on and still have fun, although you won't be fast.

Star Specs are considerably stickier than the federals or the S drives. They also will wear sooner. I have had them on my last 2 cars and have no problems with them, but I don't expect them to last longer than maybe 10k maybe 15k at most (which is still MUCH better than cruising around on R-comps). You can't have it all you will always have to balance price, performance, and longevity.