PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Fuel pump.... SBC fuel psi questions ?

awsomeears
03-19-2012, 05:14 PM
If I were to use a Mechanical Fuel pump on my 400sbc what kind of fuel pressure is normal ?

I see most Mech. Pumps are between 6psi - 7.5psi Max with shut off.

I will be using two brand new Holley 450CFM designed for tunnel ram setup, my 400 sbc is a very mild build nothing like a race motor that needs a ton of fuel...

With a Mech. pump it would be real easy to run lines with in-line filter and T to carbs DONE !!!

or do I need to have a regulator after the Mechanical Pump as 6-7.5 is to much for the holleys

http://www.holley.com/12-834.asp Just an example

Irish
03-19-2012, 06:10 PM
N/A 4 psi.

If you use a bone stock pump with no regulator I think you will be okay. If an aftermarket pump produces 7psi, I would regulate it (insert Nate dog) just to be on the safe side. That's just me though.

I have never run dual quads so I am not sure if an unregulated pump feeding two carbs would have a loss in pressure.

Prince Valiant
03-19-2012, 09:33 PM
never a horrid idea to run a regulator anyways...you could run a single inlet to a dual feed...

bikedad
03-20-2012, 08:57 AM
I'm running an electric fuel pump to my carbed SBC. I regulate the pressure down to 6PSI. Any higher than that and you risk leaking past the seats in the carb and it will flood.
Holley makes a cheap regulator that works well for your mechanical pump.
As stated above it's not a bad thing to stick an FPR in line.

Irish
03-20-2012, 09:27 AM
I think I have a new regulator in the garage. It's yours if you want it!

WickedSix
03-20-2012, 11:36 AM
depending on how period correct you are wanting to get...I have a regulator...electric fuel pump....fuel filter..aluminum line and braided line and all AN connectors sitting in the garage $150

this kit but with aluminum line and the fiting to connect to the aluminum line along with some braided for flexible connections

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-PUMPKIT7A/

Sprayaway Fox
03-27-2012, 10:01 PM
T off wherever you want. Holleys books say the PSI you state is fine. The Brocks like a lower PSI for street use. Even a stock pump will do, but if you go aftermarket you will definitley be fine.

jbiscuit
03-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Never more than 6psi with the Edelbrock carbs. The Holleys are about the same. Regulate it to be safe