PDA

View Full Version : Buying Pre-Owned with warranty....

awsomeears
03-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Never thought I would consider buying from a dealership, well really its for my Girl Friend...

Financially we are just fine and the big picture is here, she needs something dependable, something newer and something safe. She drives an easy 60 miles each day....

We can go out and pick up a used car for 5k with 90k-130k miles and be happy but there is no warranty as that's obvious...

What places offer a REAL warranty on a factory pre owned car or how every the terminology is worded ?

Don jacobs... Rossen rossen rossen ....

????

Something as simple a Kia Soul with a 10/100,000 warranty would be perfect for her that is lets say a YEAR or TWO old, just using this as an example so the years may be never made prior to 12'

03CVLX
03-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Pretty much every larger dealership in the city is gonna offer an extended warranty on their used cars. A couple very important things to watch out for are..

Starting point of the extended warranty. GM and I think Ford Factory extended warranties start at the inservice date of the vehicle, so if its a two year old vehicle and you buy a four year extended warranty you just gave them cash for two years you lost instantly. Same with the mileage. If its got 25K on it and its a 100K mile warranty you only have 75K miles of warranty left.

Also Watch what kind of deductible they are trying to get you to sign for, I try for 0 Deductible on everything I buy, but I have seen some dealer warrantys be as high as you being responsible for the first 500 bucks.

I and my family and some friends have gotten all of our cars from Boucher Lincoln in West Allis. They have a warranty that starts the Day you sign the papers. So you actually get what your paying for. Get the Platinum if its available on whatever you pick, we have had great experiences with that particular warranty.

03CVLX
03-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Also be careful with Kia and Hyundai. ONLY the FIRST owner gets the 10 year/100K mile warranty, once it is used they slash it in half to 5 year/60K warranty. UNLESS you get it at a Kia or Hyundai dealer and buy it Certified.

Also as far as I am aware, if you want to buy a certified car, you gotta get it at whatever dealer sold it new. A Honda Dealer can't certify a Toyota, and if some slick salesperson tells you otherwise, hes playing games. When my parents got their last car they were looking at a Ford at the above mentioned dealer and they couldn't even Certify that. Only Mercury or Lincoln if we wanted Certified from there.

Crawlin
03-19-2012, 05:52 PM
buy a certified car that has a FULL certified warranty. that way its all through the factory and you don't have to pay extra for a "powertrain wrap" if you are actually wanting a full warranty.

a 2011 or 2012 jetta or something.

I'm in the same boat. I have a whole spreadsheet of different types of cars. I even assigned "quality points" based off of price, certified warranty, dealership's trade value for my car, annual fuel cost compared to my car, insurance cost compared to my car, resale value 3 years from now, etc.. It's WAAAY overboard, but it was fun to look at it all.

You could buy an Accord, but it only has the powertrain warranty, but the additional cost to make it bumper to bumper warranty would put it at the same price of a different car like a Volkswagen CC

Then some of the certified interest rates.

I was looking at a Volkswagen CC. BUT, compared to a standard 3.9% rate at landmark lets say, you can find a '09 Mercedes C300 with a longer bumper to bumper certified warranty and with a 1.9 for 66 months, and you could be within $15-20/month in payment and have a nicer looking car. Same thing for like an Audi A4.

Just make sure you look at the WHOLE picture.

The 10/100,000 is only for the original owner, otherwise you are purchasing a used car and it's only 5/60 powertrain(i believe, don't know what has changed in the past couple years)

Crawlin
03-19-2012, 05:56 PM
I and my family and some friends have gotten all of our cars from Boucher Lincoln in West Allis. They have a warranty that starts the Day you sign the papers. So you actually get what your paying for. Get the Platinum if its available on whatever you pick, we have had great experiences with that particular warranty.

That's called an "additive term" warranty and it's for vehicles that are already outside of 35,000 miles(yes 35, not the standard 36 of a factory)

It's based on the JM&A group/Fidelity warranty company that most of the large dealergroups in wisconsin use(heiser, boucher, wilde, russ darrow, etc..)

if it was a car under 35,000 miles, then you are back to the aftermarket fidelity warranty starting at the "in-service date" of the vehicle

certain places only allow their warranties to be sold, like Toyota only allows TOYOTA warranties to be sold.

03CVLX
03-19-2012, 06:02 PM
That's called an "additive term" warranty and it's for vehicles that are already outside of 35,000 miles(yes 35, not the standard 36 of a factory)

It's based on the JM&A group/Fidelity warranty company that most of the large dealergroups in wisconsin use(heiser, boucher, wilde, russ darrow, etc..)

if it was a car under 35,000 miles, then you are back to the aftermarket fidelity warranty starting at the "in-service date" of the vehicle

certain places only allow their warranties to be sold, like Toyota only allows TOYOTA warranties to be sold.

Hmm, ok they never told me that. Although I know my Mom's Montego had around 25K on it when they bought it and somehow they got us the "additive term" warranty. I guess Im not sure how that worked now.

awsomeears
03-19-2012, 06:33 PM
GOOD INFO !!!

Thank you !

Crawlin
03-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Hmm, ok they never told me that. Although I know my Mom's Montego had around 25K on it when they bought it and somehow they got us the "additive term" warranty. I guess Im not sure how that worked now.

i'm sorry, i should have been more specific as there are many different ways to go about it like you said.

the additive term is if the vehicle is out of manufacturer's warranty. so it could have less than 35k miles, but is older than the term limit.(not EVERY CASE obviously, like you said)

03CVLX is correct though, definitely figure out which way it goes. Different warranty companies do it differently.

You could be sold a 3 year 36k mile warranty, and it starts at 36k miles. That's how Volkswagen's certified warranty works. the 2/24k starts at the end of the original 3/36 where GM advertises its 5/100k.

but like i said in my first post, if you look at the right car, you may not have to worry about paying for an extended warranty because it already comes with one.

03CVLX
03-19-2012, 07:16 PM
i'm sorry, i should have been more specific as there are many different ways to go about it like you said.

the additive term is if the vehicle is out of manufacturer's warranty. so it could have less than 35k miles, but is older than the term limit.(not EVERY CASE obviously, like you said)

03CVLX is correct though, definitely figure out which way it goes. Different warranty companies do it differently.

You could be sold a 3 year 36k mile warranty, and it starts at 36k miles. That's how Volkswagen's certified warranty works. the 2/24k starts at the end of the original 3/36 where GM advertises its 5/100k.

but like i said in my first post, if you look at the right car, you may not have to worry about paying for an extended warranty because it already comes with one.

Ah, now that makes total sense. It was an early build 05 bought in late 08 or 09 but had super low miles. It was beautiful until it got totalled!!!

Flicktitty
03-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Liz bought a 2009 Toyota Corolla from a ford dealership and got the extended warranty (up to 128k? miles) we were leary about it but after reading and hearing about a few issues these cars have we thought might as well get it. Since then the car needed a new water pump, and a rear wheel bearing/speed sensor. the Warranty was about $1200? and so far the warrenty has paid for everything 100% totaling up to about $800 or so now. the Deductible she has is $0 so it's not that bad.

Waver
03-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Tom, as far as certifying a Ford......we can only certify certain ones....

Pm sent.

Car Guy
03-20-2012, 01:53 PM
80% of aftermarket repair warranties are worth as much as your finest outhouse wallpaper from the 70s. If (!) the repair is covered there is a good chance the job will not be done properly and with worthless parts. Coincidentally a thread about this same subject was posted on another forum I frequent. This is the BS I'm talking about with aftermarket repair warranties, not all, but most......

http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=121813

Waver
03-20-2012, 03:41 PM
80% of aftermarket repair warranties are worth as much as your finest outhouse wallpaper from the 70s. If (!) the repair is covered there is a good chance the job will not be done properly and with worthless parts. Coincidentally a thread about this same subject was posted on another forum I frequent. This is the BS I'm talking about with aftermarket repair warranties, not all, but most......

http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=121813
I disagree......There are some good ones out there, like factory certified and ones from Fidelity (spelled wrong probably). Factory certified ones require you use OEM parts, and Fidelity has stipulations built in to make sure the job is done right (like paying the techs better than most warranty companies, use certain parts of name brand or oem quality, impromptu visits to the service centers that are performing the work.....)

VroomPshhTsi
03-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Liz bought a 2009 Toyota Corolla from a ford dealership and got the extended warranty (up to 128k? miles) we were leary about it but after reading and hearing about a few issues these cars have we thought might as well get it. Since then the car needed a new water pump, and a rear wheel bearing/speed sensor.

A 2009 Corolla already needed the water pump replaced?

03CVLX
03-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Tom, as far as certifying a Ford......we can only certify certain ones....

Pm sent.

Ok, Its possible that may have changed, or they just really wanted to sell us the Mercury version, LOL Back when we were looking they said they couldn't do it at all.

VroomPshhTsi
03-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Does the certification ever stay with the car? Toyota said their certified used cars have the certification tied to the VIN so you could sell it private party to private party and still have the warranty.

03CVLX
03-21-2012, 04:44 AM
Most warranties are transferable. So most likely yes. But I THINK some require the previous owner to make the transfer into your name. I have seen people cancel their extended warranties to get a prorated check back when they sell it also. Toyota certified may be based on the vin, im honestly not sure. I think the safest bet would be to double check with Toyota to be sure the warranty is live and stays with the car once it is sold.

BoosTT
03-21-2012, 08:16 AM
After market warrantys are just not worth it. I had one for a few years. It worked ok, but if you can do minor repairs yourself there is no point to having one. For example: you need to change a sensor. It's easier to just do it yourself then drop the car off, make the claim, pick up the car, etc.

Flicktitty
03-21-2012, 08:21 PM
A 2009 Corolla already needed the water pump replaced?

yeah it seems to be some issue with the waterpumps on those cars, Toyota has since made an updated waterpump so the issue should be gone.

Waver
03-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Does the certification ever stay with the car? Toyota said their certified used cars have the certification tied to the VIN so you could sell it private party to private party and still have the warranty.Yes, certified warranties are tied to the vin number of a vehicle. Ford family vehicles records it under their "oaisis" system. It allows us to pull service records that were performed at any Ford/Lincoln dealer in the country.

After market warrantys are just not worth it. I had one for a few years. It worked ok, but if you can do minor repairs yourself there is no point to having one. For example: you need to change a sensor. It's easier to just do it yourself then drop the car off, make the claim, pick up the car, etc.
A lot of the issue with after market warranty claims is the hassle of getting a claim done. A lot of that is because not every service center is affilliated with the warranty provider. If you get a warranty from a New car dealer, and then get the vehicle serviced there, you should have no issue. You can find out what service centers deal with the coverage on the providers website.