PDA

View Full Version : The WAC

Korndogg
03-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Wisconsin Athletic Club....

The wife gets a discount here so we decided to join up and try it. We went in there and signed up today and took the tour. Anyone a member here? Like it or hate it? We've never joined a gym before so we're going to see how we like this place and go from there.

We will mostly go to the Greenfield one. New machines and all of that. Seems like a nice place.

I will also take any gym tips haha.

Yooformula
03-12-2012, 02:40 PM
my wife worked there for 8 years.the discount was nice for the family and pool usage but the gym overall is geared towards the much older crowd imo. music sucks, old people everywhere gossiping and wasting time on machines.for those that like more heavy weights, they are limited on plates, benches and racks. did i mention they have akot if oldies there? groups of them playing cards...lol

animal
03-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Gym tip: go to the gym.

Sounds funny, but, this ^^ is the best tip you'll ever get in regards to starting a gym membership. Easy to say, hard to do long term for most people.

Korndogg
03-12-2012, 02:44 PM
haha yeah I did notice a lot of old people there. Were doing month to month so it's not like we have to stay there. I don't care about the music, that's why they make iPods :p

I already told the wife if we don't go a decent amount, I'm cancelling it.

-stew-
03-12-2012, 02:51 PM
I will also take any gym tips haha.

Grunt when you get your swell on.

Korndogg
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Grunt when you get your swell on.

Well that's a given.

BoosTT
03-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Place is so-so. Too many old naked dudes just hanging out in the locker room for me. (Pun intended).

Korndogg
03-12-2012, 03:14 PM
lol yeah...I noticed that when I did the walk through...... Basically we're just a couple of gym beginners. The wife wants to do cardio and classes. This was her idea so it's mostly for her. I just want to do cardio and some weights. I don't need anything too extreme. I would like to get more in shape for mountain biking lol. And I wouldn't mind building some more muscle since I'm a skinny fucker. I figured if we really got into it and needed more, we could just go to another gym eventually.

Prince Valiant
03-12-2012, 03:27 PM
I don't need anything too extreme. Dude, have you seen yourself lately?

Crawlin
03-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Well your diet is gonna be a bigger impact on being a "skinny fucker" compared to just going in and lifting some weights.

So research what may need to change in that aspect

Good luck, have fun, keep at it.

Korndogg
03-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Dude, have you seen yourself lately?

LOL. I meant I'm not looking to get huge. And yes I know my diet plays a role in it. I'm doing this more to get into shape than to get bigger. I just figured since I'm there I might as well use the weights too and maybe get a little bit bigger.

I'm 6'1" and 175 sooo yeah lol.

Cryptic
03-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Place is so-so. Too many old naked dudes just hanging out in the locker room for me. (Pun intended).

I was a member there like 6 or 7 years ago. There was an awful lot of that then too. Other than that, it was a descent gym. Nothing else was really available close by other than the YMCA which is too damn crowded.

I'm a member at Gold's now. I never go. Wasting money.

Ricky Bobby
03-12-2012, 06:34 PM
mark i say u go 3 times and then hang it up unless mandi drags u by the nads im with andy belong to golds and just dont go no excuse but no motivation

03CVLX
03-12-2012, 07:44 PM
What are the rates you got at WAC? I know you get a discount any idea how much difference there is between with and without?

Car Guy
03-12-2012, 07:48 PM
I toured the WAC on HWY 100 just south of Greenfield about a year ago. Seemed nice and being open 24 hours is a HUGE bonus in my book. There is a pool, hot tub, can't remember about a sauna or steam room. The only reason I did not sign up is Bally's gave me a free membership for a year.....

Jeff
03-13-2012, 02:34 AM
I've been a member there for a long time probably closing in on 10 years. Yes the music sucks (again iPods) and yes there are a lot of old men there standing around naked and talking. For the most part I like the gym nothing that I can really complain about, it's all about the time you go in. I've always been 2nd or 3rd shift so it's easy for me to go in and get out without waiting too long. Only gripes I have are at the peak times it is very busy which makes parking a real pita. I normally go to the one on Watertown Plank or the Northshore one, both of which I really like.

J-Bru-Ha Z-28
03-13-2012, 01:24 PM
I have been a member for the better part of 4 years. I went to Bally's for about 3-4 months when I moved to South Milwaukee, but got out of that deal in a hurry even at the expense of drive to the WAC. The WAC on HWY 100 and Edgerton (just south of the Hale interchange) just got ALL brand new equipment this past January. I would agree that there were a lack of plates in the past but there are plenty to go around now. All the cardio equipment and workout machines/stations are new and are on par with their Northshore and Tosa locations (don't know about the other locations since I have not been to them).

I don't know about Gold's but everytime I drive past on my way home from my workouts after work it seems like there are people damn near parking on the streets to get in that place. So to me it seems like that place would be over crowded, but I could be wrong.

I would say that for the price (Wife's Discount) you won't find a better bang for your buck when you consider all the classes, equipment, events, and parties you will have access to not to mention the multiple locations. I may be wrong on this too but I heard that the membership to the Gold's Gym on HWY 100 is only good for that location.

Korndogg
03-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Just got back from the hwy and edgerton one and so far we like it a lot.