PDA

View Full Version : Places that buy jewelry?

Crawlin
03-11-2012, 10:40 AM
What are the places around here that do that? Have the old engagement ring. Just don't want it obviously. Still together but wouldnt ever want to give her the same ring and its been too long to return it.

So to the important part - what places are the best to do this?

Car Guy
03-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Give Robert Haack on 76th & Layton a try.....

Irish
03-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Might be a good idea to sell the gold for weight value and sell the stone/stones seperately as loose diamonds. Maybe you might get more out of it?

Crawlin
03-11-2012, 11:30 AM
i would sell seperately, so thanks for the idea on that.

Irish
03-11-2012, 11:35 AM
i would sell seperately, so thanks for the idea on that.

You're welcome Chris, anytime broski!

JC70SS
03-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Good luck! My Mom had a 3ct diamond she sold when my Father passed 2 yrs ago to the high rollers place across from mayfair mall above Wells Fargo bank. You don't get shit resale wise I will tell you that.

PureSound15
03-11-2012, 10:47 PM
^ Harry is a good guy I was just there on Friday.

Good place to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crawlin
03-12-2012, 07:03 AM
yeah I understand I won't get what I paid for it, but if its only going to be 50% of what I paid, then I'll just sit on it and upgrade later.

I'll have to try these places and just see what happens

Cryptic
03-12-2012, 09:23 AM
there's a moral to the story here...

Crawlin
03-12-2012, 11:03 AM
which is what?

don't sell your prized possessions?

Liz and I are still together, we just chose to take a step back and wait. I just would never give the same ring back to her, or to anyone

Prince Valiant
03-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Liz and I are still together, we just chose to take a step back and wait. I just would never give the same ring back to her, or to anyoneWell, wish you two the best of luck...relationships are hard. They aren't nearly as intuitive as we believe them to be...

good luck on the sale, but also consider that perhaps keeping what you've got (at least the diamond) and getting a new ring/setting in the future might work out better too. Since diamonds are very overpriced and you already paid for and are likely not going to get too much back for it...maybe a custom designed piece in the future?

WickedSix
03-12-2012, 12:10 PM
keeping the diamond would be good as they are artificially inflated and they have the ole gentlemans agreement not to buy diamonds from joe blow at the same prices they charge for them... the rings and setting are always closer to the actual precious metal values

J-Bru-Ha Z-28
03-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Give Robert Haack on 76th & Layton a try.....

I would give them a try...IMO your best best would be to use what you have as a trade like you were upgrading. You will most likely get more value out of it rather than selling it outright. Most places are sitting on alot of inventory right now with gold so high and the economy where it is at, they will work with you more if you are there to make a purchase rather than just to sell your current ring.

JC70SS
03-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Chris I would say you are not going to sell it back to a jewelry store for 50% of what you paid. They are just scammers. Maybe if you take it back to where you bought it and tell them you plan to buy a different stone in the future.

Crawlin
03-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Joe,

you were absolutely right. I mean I understand markup, but DAAAAAMN.

Ryan,

Harry was great and told it like it was, and I appreciated that. Just sucks what "how it is" actually is

Car Guy
03-17-2012, 01:45 PM
The people controlling the jewelry market have such a control on pricing they should be charged with a crime, but you know how that goes.....:rolleyes:

Irish
03-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Just sucks what "how it is" actually is

Details?

Crawlin
03-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Well, I was basically offered 1/7 of what I paid for it.

There's retail, then there's wholesale, then below that is where they'd buy from the public, because why pay the same as what they can get it from their distributors for.

He was cool as hell about it all, and gave me recommendations, and what I should expect to get out of it if I sold it to the public.

Then explained the "trade value" thing for most major retail chains.

Just disappointing. I honestly feel as if my Busa was stolen from me, that's how it feels.

Lesson learned. Told the woman not to expect an engagement ring again even if we decided to get married later. She understood after hearing about this all.

Prince Valiant
03-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Told the woman not to expect an engagement ring again even if we decided to get married later. She understood after hearing about this all.Just do what I did...find the biggest, gaudiest cubic zirconium ring you can find and give that to her.

PureSound15
03-18-2012, 08:08 AM
The people controlling the jewelry market have such a control on pricing they should be charged with a crime, but you know how that goes.....:rolleyes:

Yep. Definitely a crime to money ...

Sounds like a frustrating situation, Chris. Glad Harry helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car Guy
03-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Yep. Definitely a crime to money.

More so how the money is made......