PDA

View Full Version : Waukesha County

Silver350
03-04-2012, 10:27 AM
So I am looking into purchasing a house and I was looking at Waukesha for one of the area. However I am not too familiar with Waukesha, but is there any areas I should stay away from?

BoosTT
03-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Downtown is very "Spanish speaking". Further west is best. I also prefer north of i94. I would avoid the areas around uww, as I don't predict that are is getting nicer anytime soon.

BoosTT
03-04-2012, 10:50 AM
IMO, Delafield and hartland are the best areas. I lived in muskego before... it was just OK.

Lash
03-04-2012, 11:29 AM
I like mukwonago. Lived in New Berlin... liked that too. Its pretty centrally located. I wanted more land though. Pewaukee is nice too. Anything outside of the city of Waukesha will be nice.

bikedad
03-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Wales, Genesee area is nice. No city sewer or water but isn't a problem really.

Ricky Bobby
03-04-2012, 12:42 PM
stay outside of waukesha if u can

STANMAN
03-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Yeah, Delafield is where I grew up, it has made leaps and bounds since then, but it is still a nice "small" town, Pewaukee is also nice, both are crazy expensive now (they weren't when I grew up there, lol). Genesee, Wales, Eagle, North Prarie, Dousman are all right around there and much cheaper to live in. Plus, if you have kids, they will go to Kettle Moraine school systems which are pretty decent.

Cryptic
03-04-2012, 01:49 PM
no complaints about New Berlin.

jbiscuit
03-04-2012, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't want to live in Waukesha honestly. Delafield, Wales, Pewaukee etc are all the areas you would want to be in. Nothing wrong with Milwaukee County: Tosa, Oak Creek etc. Just be prepared to pay mega taxes for a tiny lot

Silver350
03-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Yeah its been a tough thing is trying to figure out where I want to go. I would really like to be closer to work but I don't have that kind of cash to get in one of those houses.

OxmanWI
03-04-2012, 10:18 PM
New Berlin is nice, but love Menomonee Falls.

Wagonbacker9
03-04-2012, 11:05 PM
stay outside of waukesha if u can

Unless you're familiar with the area, I have to agree. Its very spotty...

New Berlin is nice, but love Menomonee Falls.

Agreed. Very happy with the falls.

michelle
03-05-2012, 05:59 AM
I liked when I lived in New Berlin (right on the NB/Brookfield border), mainly because of the convenient location to everything. I love living out in Washington County again (I grew up here). The longer distance to drive places is worth the open space and less restrictions.

UnderPSI
03-05-2012, 12:38 PM
New Berlin = High taxes. Town of Waukesha/Vernon = Low taxes

My parents have a 1,400 sqft house on one acre in New Berlin and I have a 3,200sqft house on 4 acres in Town of Waukesha and my taxes are cheaper than theirs by over $400

WickedSix
03-05-2012, 12:48 PM
what would you say west of st paul, north of bluemound, south of 59? there are really nice areas over by nagel in the hills..and cruddier ones up by UW sha.... st paul may not be the best quidelines past hwy 18....

Crawlin
03-05-2012, 02:28 PM
there are some nicer neighborhoods in waukesha, and even around UWW despite what Boost says. South of UWW around Waukesha North high school is where I grew up. All 250-300k 4bdr/3car garage type houses in that 2500sqft range with yards large enough for kids playing, nice neighbors, no crime, etc... But you can definitely find a nicer house in Pewaukee with lower taxes though. Getting into downtown waukesha, yeah that gets a little crummy. Friend from high school just can't sell his house still he bought dirt cheap. The immediate area around UWW is all older ranch style houses, plenty of friends grew up in that area. Lots of new development areas off meadowbrook rd area. Still further away from "problematic" than places around Waukesha South high school. Could even go further away out X or 59 and be around Waukesha West. Lots of newer houses out that way. My parents new house in Sussex/Lisbon area is a bit north for most people's liking, but dirt cheap property taxes.

delafield and hartland are definitely nice, but you accept the "lake country" style property taxes that go along with places like Legends of Brandybrook and Bristlecone Pines. It's not like they pick those two property development areas to have high taxes and those alone. Parents were just looking in those two areas and same size house was twice as expensive property taxes as where they ended up buying in sussex area

jbiscuit
03-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Im gonna venture a guess here and say Scott isn't looking at homes in Brandybrook or Bristlecone Pines :rolf

86GUTLASS
03-05-2012, 07:35 PM
I moved out of the city of Waukesha .We lived in a 2bed 2 bath condo.Bought a house in Oconomowoc 4bed
3 bath,almost one acre corner lot and our taxes only went up 350 bucks.

I would stay out of the city of Waukesha

Silver350
03-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Yeah I have now come to the conclusion that waukesha isn't were I want to be either. I wouldn't mind moving to the Falls but I haven't been able to find a house in my price range out there.

VroomPshhTsi
03-05-2012, 10:31 PM
I think Waukesha is big enough where there are plenty of great places to live. Yes there are some so-so neighborhoods but I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

PB86MCSS
03-05-2012, 10:45 PM
I thought New Berlin was one of the lower tax rates especially for how good the location is, IMO. I love the location of being in StAllis but we plan to move further out, probably Waukesha County at some point for more space among other reasons. I was born and raised in Muskego and am somewhat partial to that city but would feel a bit weird living there and possibly having kids go to the same school(s). I personally wouldn't move somewhere purely on the tax rate.

Wagonbacker9
03-06-2012, 01:39 AM
Yeah I have now come to the conclusion that waukesha isn't were I want to be either. I wouldn't mind moving to the Falls but I haven't been able to find a house in my price range out there.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/N91W17601-Saint-Regis-Dr-Menomonee-Falls-WI-53051/40647810_zpid/

This is around the corner from me, same floorplan as my house too. I paid 162, and I have more updates, plus a glassed in porch added on. My taxes came in at 2700

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/N91W17694-Saint-Regis-Dr-Menomonee-Falls-WI-53051/40647799_zpid/

Thats another one in my neighborhood, I think thats closer to accurately priced.

lilws6
03-06-2012, 08:23 AM
weve lived here in an apt in waukesha for almost a year and i've had no problems at all in the neighborhood we're in. i've left all kinds of stuff in the back of my truck from dirt bikes to pedal bikes all were there in the morning. its a quiet neighborhood few familys with kids i can hear in the yards. theres also two houses around the corner from me for sale i might look at lol. I'm just off michigan and grand if that gives you an idea the location

MyP71Vic
03-06-2012, 12:10 PM
We bought our house in Brookfield almost a year ago now for just $130k. It was in great shape and needed no repairs at all. We just moved right in and started to change a few things just to match our taste but there are deals around from foreclosures. Watch Zillow.com for any in the area you are thinking of going to. That is how we found our house. Good luck on your search! It will be stressfull and drive you crazy at times but in the end it will be great if you buy smart!
-Nick

brotherbenn83
03-08-2012, 08:20 AM
I wouldn't want to live in Waukesha honestly. Delafield, Wales, Pewaukee etc are all the areas you would want to be in. Nothing wrong with Milwaukee County: Tosa, Oak Creek etc. Just be prepared to pay mega taxes for a tiny lot

I can't speak for tosa, but I know the Oak Creek schools are awful. With the abundance of apartments and the "underprivileged" kids that get bussed in, the schools are overcrowded and out of control. Also like was mentioned the taxes suck. My house is on a bigger lot and similar size with equal appraisal values of my father-in-law's house in the OC. My taxes are $3300 (Muskego) his are $5000.

jbiscuit
03-08-2012, 07:08 PM
^ Scott doesn't have kids so the school system doesn't directly apply to him in this instance

wrath
03-08-2012, 09:11 PM
xxxsnowblindxxx (sp?) lives in the perfect 'hood. Close to everything, already built out so you don't have to worry about multi-family housing sprouting up any more, and in a target location to help prop up prices.

I made this map years ago:
http://wrath.com/temp/livingarea.png
Basically, the best bang for the buck (assuming you value your commute time and to-the-store time) is between Moorland and TT, the red line and I94. South of 94, towards 124th gets crappy fast. South of the train tracks also sucks, if you don't like waiting for trains. The whole Madison to MacArthur area of Waukesha is fairly nice but it is chucked full of people underwater on their mortgages. And there is evidence of "South Waukesha" creeping in.

I probably drove by 350 houses over the course of 3 years, went in to about 50, researched (including going to the courthouse) about 15, and made an offer on 8 or 10. It depends on what you want to spend and what you want.

PureSound15
03-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Wrath is quite possibly the strangest member of this board.

Thank you, Rainman, for your map. Now... How many toothpicks?

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Korndogg
03-08-2012, 10:53 PM
http://blogs.psychologytoday.com/files/u15/Rain_Man.jpg

PureSound15
03-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Wauk Wauk Wauk Waukesha Waukesha ... Waukesha county

BoosTT
03-09-2012, 09:50 AM
wtf lol.

wrath
03-09-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm not going to deny that I'm a wee bit off my rocker when it comes to housing. The hilarious part is that all the research I did was for naught. In the greater Milwaukee Metro Area, it took 2.5 years longer than I thought it would for housing prices to correct to where they should be.

If I were looking for a house now, I'd take a hard look at Town of Brookfield, south of Bluemound and east of 164 area. I haven't kept up on it but I'm sure the Town/City of Pewaukee and Village of Pewaukee Student Council rejects is going to haunt it for years otherwise that would be my next choice.

This house being for sale again made me laugh a little:
http://www.shorewest.com/homes/1240559_METRO-2109_Rambling_Rose_Rd-Waukesha-WI-53186-2821

-stew-
03-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Wrath is quite possibly the strangest member of this board.

But the more you read his posts, the more you realize he's right. And that is a huge, obscure, area to decide you want to live in.

michelle
03-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Washington County has some great schools......

http://media.jsonline.com/images/SCORES28G-color.jpg