PDA

View Full Version : Facts about Wal-Mart...

-stew-
02-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Some interesting numbers. I've highlighted the more creepy and disheartening ones.

-Americans spend $36,000,000 at Walmart every hour of every day. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!
-Walmart is the largest private employer in the world and the richest company in the world.
-5000 stores worldwide in 10 countries. 256 stores across Canada employing over 60,000 employees.
-Walmart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.
-Walmart's highest paid executive earns more money in one day than a Walmart cashier earns in 4 years.
-Walmart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.
-Walmart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer and most can't speak English.
-Last year Walmart sold more bananas than any other item.
-Walmart is the largest company in the history of the world.
-Walmart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, keep in mind they did this in only 15 years. During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy.
-Walmart now sells more food than any other store in the world.
-Walmart has approx. 3,900 stores in the US of which 1,906 are Super Centers. This is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago.
-Walmart is the largest overall employer in the USA, and the biggest employer in 25 states.
-This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur At a Walmart store.
-90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Walmart.
-In 2000, Walmart was sued 4,851 times - about once every 2 hours.
-The value of product for Walmart passing through the port of San Diego each year is a larger sum than 93% of ALL countries Gross National Product (GNP)... and that is only ONE port... one way - that's how Walmart gets it's stuff.
-Of the 1.6 million employees, only 1.2% make a living above the poverty level.
-Walmart's head office is located and centralised in Bentonville. Due to this fact, there are more millionaires per square mile there than any place on Earth.
-5 of the richest 13 people in the world are members of the Walton family.
-28 hours a week is considered fulltime work at Walmart.
-The official US Government position is that Walmart's prices are no lower than anyone else's when compared to a typical families weekly purchases. That's the view of the statisticians at the Bureau Of Labor Statistics (BLS) responsible for calculating the Consumer Price Index (CPI).
-92% of everything Walmart sells comes from China. Another 4% comes from Chinese owned companies in the US or in third world Countries.
-2/3 of Walmart's workers cannot participate in its health insurance plan because of its high cost and huge deductibles.
-Walmart and MOST large companies, take out life insurance on its employees, without their knowing. If an employee dies, ALL the insurance moneys go to the companies. IE. An employee making $18,000 per year, dies, and the company might make as much as $1 million. Most often these moneys coming from what is commonly referred to as "Dead Peasant Life Insurance Policies" is paid out to executives as bonuses. A common practice, unknown by the average consumer.
-Walmart now averages a 'profit' (not sales) of $25 billion per year.

88Nightmare
02-23-2012, 09:25 PM
none of that is surprising to me. and I choose to not shop at Walmart.

GHOSST
02-23-2012, 09:39 PM
-Walmart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer and most can't speak English.
-Last year Walmart sold more bananas than any other item.

I believe some of it, but some of it I don't believe based off these two seemingly "personal" opinions by whoever put all this together.

We all know the lower end of society shops at Walmart frequently, but I guess it's not fact worthy if you don't bash a few minorities in the process of putting this detailed and researched fact sheet together.

Yooformula
02-23-2012, 09:57 PM
not surprising. I do love how people harp on the china crap but seem to forget that you cant walk through a menards, home depot or even target and not see more than half of their crap made in china either. IMO, menards has about the same chinese garbage as walmart. Keep in mind that ALOT of that chinese crap is the electronics which I bet accounts for a good deal of stuff.

I wonder what the ratio of full time vs part is and how that affects the poverty numbers.

Prince Valiant
02-23-2012, 10:02 PM
All this is quite simply, untrue. The statistics they cite seem pulled out of thin air more than anything...

*case in point* - their profit per minute does not compute to their stated yearly profit...or is even close.

likewise, the "Dead Peasant Life Insurance Policies" make zero sense. Its true, many companies may take out policies to be paid to them in case of death, but they are far from a million bucks. My companies takes one out to cover a shortfall on revenue I produce for a year, plust the cost of hiring/training a replacement. At a place like wally world, it probably only amounts to the cost of retraining a new worker and cost of temp replacement at worst.

Million dollar policies aren't so cheap that it pays to gamble against the insurance companies on everyone of it's employees, since the cost for all would be huge. Insurance companies specialize in assessing these risk and are going to be damn sure that they're paying out less than they are taking in.

This is likely the work of a dumb college kid (or OWS'er) who knows little about how the real world works, just that a segment of the population will simply believe what they want to believe.

WhatsADSM
02-23-2012, 10:44 PM
All this is quite simply, untrue. The statistics they cite seem pulled out of thin air more than anything...

*case in point* - their profit per minute does not compute to their stated yearly profit...or is even close.

likewise, the "Dead Peasant Life Insurance Policies" make zero sense. Its true, many companies may take out policies to be paid to them in case of death, but they are far from a million bucks. My companies takes one out to cover a shortfall on revenue I produce for a year, plust the cost of hiring/training a replacement. At a place like wally world, it probably only amounts to the cost of retraining a new worker and cost of temp replacement at worst.

Million dollar policies aren't so cheap that it pays to gamble against the insurance companies on everyone of it's employees, since the cost for all would be huge. Insurance companies specialize in assessing these risk and are going to be damn sure that they're paying out less than they are taking in.

This is likely the work of a dumb college kid (or OWS'er) who knows little about how the real world works, just that a segment of the population will simply believe what they want to believe.

I agree. I was skeptical for a while since some of it seems somewhat believeable. However the insurance thing at the end makes zero sense. It would be a certain losing proposition as PV pointed out since insurance companies specialize in making money on large quantities of policies. It would be a sure way to loose money for Walmart.

GHOSST
02-23-2012, 11:00 PM

Nice! Now that's believable.

Just wondering, were did you find that stew?

Rocket Power
02-24-2012, 12:41 AM
Just wondering, were did you find that stew?

Probably the union newsletter. LOL

WickedSix
02-24-2012, 07:29 AM
old news with extra added in....email chain started in 08...check out snopes.... the fiscal part is mostly true...they actually make more per minute than that...

personally why is any of it a bad thing? u have people working who might otherwise be sucking deep on the govment teat.... why do people hate that things come from china? they have a buttload of people who are willing to work for a pittance.... why is that surprising? remember the industrial revolution? we made a moral decision to provide 'living wages' and child labor laws.... why complain it's unfair trade when we made the decision to disallow the same practices?

it you don't like it don't shop there... the only place you have a mandate to spend your hard earned money is the Government... anywhere else is your choice...

animal
02-24-2012, 07:55 AM
I like walmart, most things are cheaper there. :)

Red dog is 12.68 for a 30 pack :goof

BoosTT
02-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Atleast some of the walmart employees deserve the wadge they are paid. Seriously, ask someone for help at walmart once. I can't feel too bad for something who graduated middle school, works slow with poor quality and does drugs on their off days making $11/hour.

Now if you have a ok education and are willing to work, GTFO of walmart.

Rocket Power
02-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Walmart has cheap ammo too. :)

-stew-
02-24-2012, 08:37 AM
I found that on orsm.net. (not work or kid safe)

GHOSST
02-24-2012, 08:56 AM
I seen remington assault rifles the other day for $1100 ish. I was like eh?

BR3W CITY
02-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Atleast some of the walmart employees deserve the wadge they are paid. Seriously, ask someone for help at walmart once. I can't feel too bad for something who graduated middle school, works slow with poor quality and does drugs on their off days making $11/hour.

I've worked harder for less, for what most of them are asked to do they should make minimum wage. I don't see why someone I can't find, who doesn't know anything about their own store, nor wants to...should make more than the law says they have too.

GTSLOW
02-24-2012, 11:36 AM

A liberal calling out a liberal. :wtf

SSDude
02-24-2012, 12:23 PM

Maybe a libritarian but not a liberal

88Nightmare
02-24-2012, 12:40 PM

I've worked harder for less, for what most of them are asked to do they should make minimum wage. I don't see why someone I can't find, who doesn't know anything about their own store, nor wants to...should make more than the law says they have too.

A friend's husband worked at walmart as a cashier and made $7.75 per hour. Not sure where you are coming up with $11....

-stew-
02-24-2012, 12:56 PM
[And what is it you do for a living? Werent you you complaining a while ago you don't have verifiable income?

88Nightmare
02-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Not everyone at Walmart is a slacker. A lot of them are though. Either way, a job is a job.

Crawlin
02-24-2012, 02:14 PM
I don't get it...
1 -people want things, but they don't want to pay the couple bucks extra for a local shop vs. a big box store. Not walmart's fault, its your own damn fault
2 - if they are the SINGLE largest employer IN THE WORLD, then you would think that they have the cost/benefit analysis done on what the wages they can pay are. Supply and demand. No one in the WHOLE united states is FORCED to work a specific job unless you are in prison. If you don't like your wage, if you don't like your tasks, if you feel you are worth more, then fucking move on. Get up off your ass and MOVE THE FUCK ON. Go apply at something else. I see a quite a bit of jobs on monster and milwaukeejobs, etc... Oh, you are having to compete with 100 others? Oh you don't have a GED even? Oh you don't have a resume or cover letter? Oh you can't verbally converse with the interviewer in an intellectual way?

Half the people in this world sound like the characters from Dumb and Dumber... "There are NO jobs out there." "Yeah not unless you want to work 40hrs a week, pffft"

What the hell man? People feel they are ENTITLED to so many things because the other half of the world has it and worked for it

Seriously, if all of a sudden car company "x" cut their costs so much that they could provide a product that was of equal quality as alot of other manufacturer's, knowing that they wages of the employees was half of other companies but still liveable, would you still buy their car at $5,000 for a 4dr 30mpg mid size sedan, or would you "hold true to your beliefs" and buy the $20,000 other option of company "y" that all their workers have an above average wage?

People are hypocrits. They talk about how this is all bad, but in one way or another they are supporting the same type thing in other companies, they just aren't as large so you dont hear about it. People always like to hate at what is easy to point out with facts that seem so out of this world to the "sheeple".

How many of you run out to Brookfield and shop at Grasch Foods and support a local company and a member of this forum, or do you run to Pick N Save or Sentry or similar even though prices are the same?

I have no sympathy for the consequences of what people's actions are and the choices they make. I have the live with the same consequences if I made those same choices.

VroomPshhTsi
02-24-2012, 05:25 PM
^Amen. It's a business. They are profitable. No one is forcing employees to work there. Shutup and move on.

Rocket Power
02-24-2012, 05:48 PM
I buy from smaller places when it makes sense, but I'm not going to piss away a bunch of money extra if I don't need to, especially if I get crap service for my money ie. shooters shop. On the other hand I buy nearly all my automotive stuff from a local small business, and have never ordered from Summit, Jegs etc. because I get the same stuff for a comparable price.

GHOSST
02-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Just watched Family Guy episode

"Hell Comes to Quahog"

Hahahaha, exactly. :)

Prince Valiant
02-24-2012, 07:12 PM

Maybe a libritarian but not a liberal
I never can tell if nate is just joshing, or is really confused, lol...

PB86MCSS
02-24-2012, 07:55 PM
^Amen. It's a business. They are profitable. No one is forcing employees to work there. Shutup and move on.

Also no one forces someone to shop there either. This and the above sums it up.

05caddyext
02-25-2012, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't agree about the no-one forces you to shop there thing. That may be true in our area, but in many markets in the U.S. Walmart forced out all the competition and you may have to drive 30 miles to go to another place if you don't like walmart. We have the advantage of plenty of competition around here, but a lot of places don't. That being said, I don't like Walmart at all, but I don't hate on what they do. They make a shit ton of money and they are good at what they do. Isn't this the whole idea of capitalism?

Russ Jerome
02-25-2012, 06:32 PM
I was turned away from Sams club while trying to buy a car battery because my annual ransom was due, got the same battery for like $10 less at Walmart...plus my kind of people wander wally world :)

GHOSST
02-25-2012, 06:43 PM
I wouldn't agree about the no-one forces you to shop there thing. That may be true in our area, but in many markets in the U.S. Walmart forced out all the competition and you may have to drive 30 miles to go to another place if you don't like walmart. We have the advantage of plenty of competition around here, but a lot of places don't. That being said, I don't like Walmart at all, but I don't hate on what they do. They make a shit ton of money and they are good at what they do. Isn't this the whole idea of capitalism?

I'm serious, watch "Hell comes to Quahog"

Superstore USA puts everyone out of business, the brewery, the deli, the newspaper route, the pharmacy, everyone, hahahahahahahaha