PDA

View Full Version : 24 hours of Lemons coming to Road America

03CVLX
02-19-2012, 01:04 AM
Looks like there is going to be a 24 hours of Lemons race at Road America this year. A couple guys on another forum I am a member of are big into these races and I have wanted to make it out to see one of these races for awhile but my schedule has never permitted the trip out of town. Its August 20th & 21st 2012

More info here.
http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

Here is the site of the guys that do alot of these races. They build some goofy but awesome cars.
http://www.speedycop.com

Josepy
02-19-2012, 01:12 AM
Team america fuck yeah

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

srt4eh
02-19-2012, 09:10 AM
A number of neon guys run in these and do pretty well.

BR3W CITY
02-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Events like these and the Grassroots $20xx challenge are pretty fun to spectate and participate in. For less than a grand you can participate with a team in a pretty cool event. I've considered doing it, but to me it take the "right" car. You need to do it with something weird, as a field of neons and civics ends up looking like a spec class.

The coolest ones IMO are the STRANGE. Caged bmw isetta with a cycle motor was cool.

03CVLX
02-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Yeah, read thru that second link I posted. Those guys build the strangest combos.

63 Thunderbird with a BMW V12 crammed in it.
Lancia Scorpion body mounted on a 93 Toyota Mr2 chassis.
And don't forget to check out Project G.L.C.O.A.T. :D

srt4eh
02-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Not all neons are "normal" lol

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc222/goddom/Racingshot.jpg
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc222/goddom/christiansittingonwing.jpg

michelle
02-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Should be a SHO or two there.

GHOSST
02-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Haha, that's an awesome neon! I need to catch one of these events, seems worth it for some fun.

TheRX7Project
02-20-2012, 06:37 AM
Damn I wish I was gonna be off for this!

That_Guy
02-20-2012, 10:24 AM
My brother and i where talking about getting a team together for this.. Sounds like all systems go.. We registered last night. Now to find a shitbox. He has an extra 240 at his shop that we may use.

WhatsADSM
02-20-2012, 10:36 AM
My brother and i where talking about getting a team together for this.. Sounds like all systems go.. We registered last night. Now to find a shitbox. He has an extra 240 at his shop that we may use.

It seems awesome. I was thinking it would be a ton of fun to participate in. Although my only gripe is that $500 seems too stringent... so much so that it makes me NOT want to do it as finding anything worth buying for less than $500 simply isn't worth it. If you don't already have a car you can use, you are basically fucked.

It also just seems like at $500 it is more of an exercise of figuring out what the judges will *think* you spent on it (i.e. what can you get away with).

Why not allow more money up front and be more particular on submitting proof that you built something for say $1000 or $2000. In the end you will spend FAR FAR more on safety/wheels/tires/fuel/brakes (all of which don't fall under the $500 rule) than $500. I wouldn't be surprised to see people spend 10x the car cost on all those items so its silly IMO to call it a $500 car.

BR3W CITY
02-20-2012, 12:07 PM
ya no one cares tho, i think thats why. Like all racing, its how ya cheat.

03CVLX
02-20-2012, 05:58 PM
From what I understand, most guys buy something odd on the cheap. Then sell off all the stuff they aren't using Interior trim, etc etc. Cause I guess every dollar you make selling stuff off the car can be put right back into the car for equipment. They also have links on the site for cheaper safety gear..

Al
02-20-2012, 10:51 PM
The $500 does NOT include any costs associated with safety and consumable/wearable components.

Simply put, you could buy a car for $499 and then spend 10k on safety gear and tires, yet still not break the rules.

PB86MCSS
02-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Been following the IROC Maiden build on thirdgen.org recently that they race in Lemons, among random posts on jalopnik when these races occur. Looks way fun but from what I've seen you sure can put a good chunk of money into the car after initial purchase price. Alot of items fall under safety components.

WhatsADSM
02-22-2012, 05:59 PM
The $500 does NOT include any costs associated with safety and consumable/wearable components.

Simply put, you could buy a car for $499 and then spend 10k on safety gear and tires, yet still not break the rules.

Yup. You can spend thousands on safety gear, the lightest wheel possible, and Hoosiers. But you are forced to only spend $500 on the car. IMO its silly. Its hard to find any car, let alone one worth racing for $500.

Been following the IROC Maiden build on thirdgen.org recently that they race in Lemons, among random posts on jalopnik when these races occur. Looks way fun but from what I've seen you sure can put a good chunk of money into the car after initial purchase price. Alot of items fall under safety components.

Yup, that's why I am saying it seems too prohibitive on the car itself.

I think ultimately it boils down to what Brew City says. You just gotta find good ways to cheat.

That_Guy
02-22-2012, 09:21 PM
if you look through the rule book its pretty extensive.