PDA

View Full Version : attn Time Warner Cable employees

03CVLX
02-09-2012, 11:09 AM
I know there are a couple guys here who work there now,

I need to take my HD DVR box in and swap it out with one that works better. Have a couple questions before I do..

What is the best box out there right now? Which one breaks the least? I want to swap this once and never again LOL

Also, is there any easy way to copy the shows that are recorded on it now to an external hard drive. Or at least the list of shows to be recorded? one or two things that Id like to keep if its even possible.

If I go to the store and ask for a specific model number will they even give me that box or will I just get whatever they have.

Probably need to swap out the router we are renting also, its not a very good one imo.. barely have any signal from it being in the basement where it was installed. Probably upgrade to one of the new wireless N routers to hopefully boost the signal.

Ricky Bobby
02-09-2012, 12:36 PM
i would just call in for a trouble call that way they can swap ur box and router and set it up 4 u, i dont believe they will swap a router at the store usually will send a tech. Also cant request a special box it what tech or store have on hand at the time of visit. Also as far as i know there is no way to save any shows once box is swapped

Wagonbacker9
02-09-2012, 01:31 PM
you can save the shows, but not in any way that is legal, or user friendly. As for a list, use the "series manager"..

CannotPost
02-09-2012, 01:56 PM
i would just call in for a trouble call that way they can swap ur box and router and set it up 4 u, i dont believe they will swap a router at the store usually will send a tech. Also cant request a special box it what tech or store have on hand at the time of visit. Also as far as i know there is no way to save any shows once box is swapped

They wont give you a box you request, only what they have on hand. Yes you can swap modems/routers too. I go to the store in Mayfair, if you go on off hours it's a painless process.

03CVLX
02-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Got ya.

I guess I don't really care about saving what is already recorded. I know about series manager, but I wanted to transfer what is in series manager to the new box vs having to go thru and manually set each series back up again. It doesn't sound like that is possible though. I will probably stop at southridge and see whats what in next few days.

03Seville
02-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Got ya.

I guess I don't really care about saving what is already recorded. I know about series manager, but I wanted to transfer what is in series manager to the new box vs having to go thru and manually set each series back up again. It doesn't sound like that is possible though. I will probably stop at southridge and see whats what in next few days.

Still better off having a tech come out. Could be more to your problem than a bad box and the only way to really know is for a tech to check everything out.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

wikked
02-10-2012, 01:50 AM
If you had them saved on an external drive, such as the DVR Extender, I'm sure you could keep them.
My brother has one of those, well worth the $ if you watch a shit ton of shows.

03CVLX
02-10-2012, 09:54 AM
DVR Extender?? Where do you get one of those?

If you had them saved on an external drive, such as the DVR Extender, I'm sure you could keep them.
My brother has one of those, well worth the $ if you watch a shit ton of shows.

davidrab
02-10-2012, 10:20 AM
DVR Extender?? Where do you get one of those?

I've done some research on DVR Extender's (Western Digital, etc) because I think the storage capacity of my Scientific Atlanta 8300 HDC is pitiful.
From what I have read, the Extenders will not work with the TW SA 8300's here in WI so I'd be interested in what DVR your brother has Wikked.

Seems like the only way to get a better DVR is to get Whole House :(

WilliamZ
02-10-2012, 09:07 PM
The newer Cisco ones that I know you can get at the Mayfair location are the best ones according to a TW installer. Biggest Hard Drive and much better than the SA boxes.

wikked
02-12-2012, 08:29 PM
I've done some research on DVR Extender's (Western Digital, etc) because I think the storage capacity of my Scientific Atlanta 8300 HDC is pitiful.
From what I have read, the Extenders will not work with the TW SA 8300's here in WI so I'd be interested in what DVR your brother has Wikked.

Seems like the only way to get a better DVR is to get Whole House :(

He has the SA 8300HDC box, I dunno what you read, but it works :)

davidrab
02-12-2012, 08:39 PM
He has the SA 8300HDC box, I dunno what you read, but it works :)

Cool, I'm gonna give it a shot.