PDA

View Full Version : Soundproofing....Looking for Pro/Experienced Advice.

nismodave
02-08-2012, 11:14 PM
With a Baby on the way, and living in a condo, we are looking to soundproof the wall in between our unit and the other in the babys bedroom.

We do not hear them alot but when their kids are crying or yelling we can hear them a bit.

I guess Im being a little over courteus, but I want to do it.

Anyone here a pro insulator, or done any soundproofing work?

I know about Quietrock, but Im wondering if we should take down old rock, and put it up, or just layer over it.

Then there is this stuff... http://soundproofmyhome.com/dB2-4Walls.html

Any educated advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Wagonbacker9
02-08-2012, 11:20 PM
They make a product that you mount to the studs, and then mount the sheetrock to that, not screwing it to the studs reduces transmitted vibration. You have to remove the sheetrock that is there to install it. obviously with the sheetrock off you can install additional sound insulation in the wall as well.

pOrk
02-09-2012, 09:16 AM
What about having an insulation service come out and inject the walls with expanding foam, not sure of the cost but then you don't have to redo all the drywall?

CATNHAT
02-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Got any details on the existing demising wall construction? STC (sound transmission coefficient) is what your after. Also need to be concerned with the IIC (Impact Insulation Class) rating of the floor.

There are many ways to accomplish your goals. Insulation or sound "Batts" do very little in the way of increasing your STC.

Check out http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/applications may have something simple to use. Homasote is another good sound deadening board.

How much work/$$ are you willing to put into this project? Sound boards are pricey, but they work.

A buddy of mine is in Orlando right now for the International Builders Show, all the hot new products are there. I can ask him to get some literature on sound deadening if you want.

Yooformula
02-10-2012, 07:38 PM
if they have kids as well, why are you worried about how loud it may or may not be. most likely they wont even care. if they were old people, I would think it could be an issue but not an active family with kids.

wrath
02-10-2012, 09:54 PM
It's been a while, but viscoelastic adhesive (kind of like polyurethane for car windows) with QuietRock and recycled bluejeans insulation between the studs. Anything more than that is irritating and/or expensive. The best method involves also making it so you don't share studs with the neighbors.

I'm sure there are better methods now. It's been six years since I've last cared about sound. I would like to know what you end up doing because I'm going to do a bathroom remodel soon and I want to quiet it down (it's between two bedrooms).

brotherbenn83
02-13-2012, 08:25 AM
if they have kids as well, why are you worried about how loud it may or may not be. most likely they wont even care. if they were old people, I would think it could be an issue but not an active family with kids.

In this situation I would consider it just for the quietness on his side, to help keep it quiet enough for his baby to sleep. Of course the best soundproofing is a single family home.