PDA

View Full Version : What hills are open?

Crawlin
01-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Since this winter has been absolute crap in regards to snowfall obviously, are there any hills that are open? Preferably close, not hours away.

Heading out to Vail again at the end of February with a group of friends. I have always snowboarded, even in teh backbowls out there. This year was thinking about possibly trying some skiing and have never done it. So was looking to rent some to see how easy the switch is and if it is feasible to do both out there.

Dr.Buick
01-12-2012, 09:12 AM
My kid is at sunburst everyday

theavenger333
01-14-2012, 12:13 PM
according to the snow report everyone is open. hill quality and amount of runs change daily. with this real snow and good temps i would assume alpine should be almost to full strength

Prince Valiant
01-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Transition from board to ski is a little tough...or so I've been told

Most find that snowboarding is initially easier to pick up, but then harder to progress...

ski's are initially harder to get going, but easier to progress in ability once you've "got it".

Never tried boarding, but as someone who more or less let a gap occur in my skiing long enough to effectively forget how to ski, it was humbling getting back out there...ask Cryptic how bad I was when I first got back on the mountain, lol. BUT, by the second time we were out in Aspen (and I had gone a few times in between), I was a whole different skier, and able to tackle most anything except moguls...those things still leave me flummoxed, lol.

Stick with it though...in the end, I think most are happiest skiing vs boarding.

Korndogg
01-14-2012, 01:20 PM
I loved skiing back in the day. I miss it. If skis weren't so damn expensive I would probably buy some and get back out there.

theavenger333
01-15-2012, 03:58 AM
chris i went from skiing to boarding (around the time i saw you guys on the hill a few times) back to skiing, then to the snowblades. if we go to west virginia or colorado again i use my board, the blades don't work for shit in powder. i had trouble switching to the board, but not learning to ski or switching back. i think if you were a skateboarder as a kid you tend to board. if you were a ice skater/roller blader you tend to ski.

Crawlin
01-15-2012, 07:14 AM
yeah I was a water skiier and roller blader and ended up still boarding, haha.

those were some fun times back at alpine. doing the "Out Cold" run down the mountain, haha.

just gonna end up picking up a new board. just hard to pick what kind because an "all mountain" board that will work good out there, I think is just too big of a board for our tiny hills around here

theavenger333
01-15-2012, 07:33 PM
"out cold" haha, nice. you mean dropping your pants and flying down?

Crawlin
01-16-2012, 08:52 AM
you know it! mooning the people on the lift, haha

That_Guy
01-16-2012, 09:05 AM
I went to granite peak this last weekend and it was awesome. Its been a while sense i have had any challenge skiing and i have to say there double black diamond is pretty close to a single black in utah. The tree skiing and ski cross type runs are just awesome. I cant justify going up to the u.p. unless they just don't have snow. Of course the porkies are always worth the trip.

TransAm12sec
01-16-2012, 06:14 PM
My father's going to Cascade tomorrow; I'll probably head there in the next few weeks. It's the nicest skiing within the drive, otherwise Sunburst seems to be up and down bull run repeatedly.

Powderhorn was the best trip this season so far; I'll probably go to Lutsen towards the end of the season.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-ash1/v61/191/49/13934428/n13934428_35971171_6374.jpg

michelle
01-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Taking the kiddos to Sunburst in a couple of weeks for a reward trip. Sounds like Little Switz is going to be open next winter too.

turbogarrett
01-16-2012, 06:48 PM
If you are on a budget and want terrain and snow that rivals a lot of what you'll find out west - http://www.mtbohemia.com/

Not sure I could ski well anymore after making the switch 15 years ago....

Prince Valiant
01-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Bohemia and Lutzen are both very well regarded...Lutzen stands well against most any mountain out east, Bohemia is considered a difficult mountain even by Western standards.

theavenger333
01-19-2012, 01:02 AM
i'll take granite peak in wausau over anything in the dells (not much further) as well as blackjack, powderhorn etc