PDA

View Full Version : Where do you prefer to work... Big Company or Small?

BoosTT
01-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Vote!

Haulin' Oates
01-06-2012, 12:41 PM
I work for a small company and it's absolutely fantastic. Happiest I have ever been in a working environment.

wrath
01-06-2012, 01:34 PM
I've worked in medium and large type companies. I don't think I'd ever work for a small company unless it paid a metric shit ton. I prefer medium. Economy of scale and critical mass to make it but not the big company politics BS.

Neal Steffek
01-06-2012, 01:34 PM
I am in the 50-150 count, but I still consider it small. Oh, and I love it.

British_Ben
01-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Company I work for has over 10,000 employees and it's generally good. Buyouts/mergers and restructuring are the down sides. Upsides are decent pay, good benefits, annual raises and stability.

Having worked at a small-medium sized company before, I can say that I prefer a large company.

77thor
01-06-2012, 02:45 PM
I worked for a company with ~140,000 employees and I felt like a number :(

Crawlin
01-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Economy of scale and critical mass to make it but not the big company politics BS.

I like what he said... but in the business I am working in, it's not so much # of employees that make a difference since we work alot of subcontractor stuff.

Prince Valiant
01-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Worked for them all, all have +'s and -'s. Guess if a gun was being held to my head, I'd say the big, since it gives the most laterall and upward room to move...though my pay increased fastest in a small company.

-stew-
01-06-2012, 03:37 PM
My employer has, I think, 7,500 employees. Largest employer I've ever worked for. The world I live in there has prolly 100 people in it. There is petty in fighting and bickering, same shit I've dealt with at places with as few as four employees. The small places I worked paid shit and my bosses (the owner) always cried how broke they were as the climbed into their brand new trucks and left at noon to go racing or golfing, or charter fishing. Typical inter-departmental right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing goes on, effects me sometimes but doesn't really derail or stop what I'm doing. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. When time comes for me to pack up and leave, I will seek another large employer with a large fleet. This is my first job dealing with a fleet, and not being handcuffed by a customers wallet and or schedule is, for lack of a better word, liberating.

Josepy
01-06-2012, 07:20 PM
I have worked in all and the one I am at now being the smallest. It has been the best for me.

Holeshot
01-06-2012, 07:33 PM
I've work in all and I am happier here.

Genuine Parts Company
Public Company
Incorporated: 1928
Employees: 33,000
Sales: $10.5 billion (2010)

michelle
01-07-2012, 05:27 PM
I've worked in bigger districts like Wauwatosa. Went smaller with Germantown. Now I am at an even smaller district and it's definitely what I prefer.

Rocket Power
01-08-2012, 12:52 AM
I voted small, although I don't really work for a company now, but it is smaller.LOL
But the last place I worked at was small too. 40ish people at the location I was at, I would guess around a total of 100 between 3 places in 3 states.

Wagonbacker9
01-08-2012, 02:14 AM
I worked for big and small companies prior to my professional life everything from a ma and pa restaurant/bar to Briggs and Stratton, I enjoyed both. I learned the most about life from an alcoholic asshole I worked for for over 3 years. One of the biggest assholes I've ever met (god bless his soul), but there wasn't a single day I didn't respect him professionally. I have found in my professional career path that I basically have to be in a company large enough to justify the roles I want to fill... so I'm stuck with that.

TheRX7Project
01-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Bigger companies offer stability, smaller ones offer better recognition.

However both small companies I worked for ended up tanking, and I got laid off. I'm OK with working at a big company for the stability (and much better benefits). I do feel like a number though.

STANMAN
01-08-2012, 04:22 PM
I think the more interesting question would be union or non union. I have worked for both, both mid sized companies, I have a STRONG preference.

wrath
01-08-2012, 05:41 PM
I think the more interesting question would be union or non union. I have worked for both, both mid sized companies, I have a STRONG preference.

Few educated people under 50 are going to have experience with unions.

-stew-
01-08-2012, 06:27 PM

I think trades people are the only people that seek out union employers.

pnad
01-08-2012, 08:13 PM
I LIKE being a number to HR and upper management. I can get plenty of recognition from my direct manager and 'inside' customers or other teams. The small employer I worked for and my wife's current employer are both run by assholes and it infects the entire company. The nepotism is disgusting. Unqualified retarded family members put in high level positions and allowed to do nothing or fuckup on a massive scale with zero repercussions. Of course anyone who has an idea different than the 'family' is fired.

Worked at Snap-On Tools, SC Johnson and now Quad/Graphics. I also worked with Ben but was 'downsized' :-D The small asshole company I worked for went out of business a few years after I quit. Guess that Dick-Tater style management didnt work out so well in the end.

pOrk
01-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Stanman, lets hear it. I prefer NON-Union over Union, Unions protect the weak / lazy / unwilling and its harder for the had working ass kicker to move up since its always based on Seniority.

TheRX7Project
01-08-2012, 10:31 PM
I can't say too much on the union/non-union, however I will say I've seen several medium-sized businesses tank that recently went union. I haven't seen any non-union ones go under.

STANMAN
01-09-2012, 04:30 AM
Stanman, lets hear it. I prefer NON-Union over Union, Unions protect the weak / lazy / unwilling and its harder for the had working ass kicker to move up since its always based on Seniority.

This. I am the hard working ass kicker type, wanting to make my own destiny. I worked for a union for 10 years and all it brought me was grief and people filing grievences all the time. I never let it stop me, they were more funny to me. "He came and did my job, WAAAAAAA", well, if you would have been doing it, I wouldn't have had to come do it would I? 10 years in a non union shop, way different. Oh, you are actually a person who wants to learn everything and are willing to work, that sounds like someone we want to put on the fast track. Grievences vs. fast track, you make the call, lol.

British_Ben
01-10-2012, 08:48 PM
I also worked with Ben but was 'downsized' :-D

hahaha, yup. South Carolina is pretty nice this time of year though. :)