PDA

View Full Version : Wanted 12V starter for 10HP Tecumseh engine

PonyKiller87
01-03-2012, 09:06 AM
I have a generator with a 10HP Tecumseh engine on it that I want to add electric start too. It has the provisions for it, its just not there.

If you have something that might work or an old lawn tractor that is dead that I could steal some parts off of that would work...

stenchmiester
01-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Kevin I have one name a price

PonyKiller87
01-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Damn, I completely forgot you do small engine stuff. I'll give you a call later.

stenchmiester
01-05-2012, 08:52 AM
I need the engine number hm 100 or hh 100

PonyKiller87
01-05-2012, 10:10 AM
The generator is in my storage unit, I'll have to stop and get the model number later tonight. I'll text you with it later.

What else do I need to make the system work? Battery, start switch, solenoid,... what about charging the battery? would the engine already have something for that?

Thanks for the help.

BAD LS1
01-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Prob gonna be an HM100. Have you 100% verified there are teeth on the flywheel? All HM blocks came with the mounting bosses on the block and a cover over the starter bubble, but 99% of generator specs did not come with a toothed flywheel. When I used to work at Mother T, and took countless calls about this exact thing, primarily on Coleman generators. The other question was if there was a muffler to make it quieter lol.

A charging stator if it were present would have a wire coming out from under blower housing mounting plate right by the starter mounting boss. Again another special flywheel with magnets needed. Best to find a scrapped HMSK100 snow engine with an alternator and rob it of everything you need, obviously not the 120V starter lol, that won't help you much w/o 120v ac power.

PonyKiller87
01-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Hmm, I guess I will have to look closer at it. I figured being that the cover and holes where there everything else would be, but I guess not.

A new engine wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, this thing has been sitting for at least 10 years without running. I know the carb needs to be over hauled as the choke is seized.

As for the muffler, I found some stuff online about using a stock sport bike muffler to quiet it down. Got the mufflers cheep on ebay, just need to get it running before I go bolting them on.

BAD LS1
01-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Lol the muffler will make a small dent in the noise, the engine it's self is the bulk of the DB from that mill

PonyKiller87
01-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Oh I know it will still be loud even with the muffler. Depending on how tolerable it is I might build an enclosure for it to kill the sound.