PDA

View Full Version : Nursing Home Opinions/Suggestions

michelle
12-31-2011, 01:43 PM
After visiting with my grandfather earlier this week, I would really like to transfer him to a more local and quality nursing home. His Alzheimer's, unfortunately, requires extra security than the group home he was in could handle. He is currently in a nursing home 2.5-3 hours north. I'd like him to be closer and be in a more quality nursing home that can work with him and keep him active. It's too heartbreaking to see him just sit in a chair all the time. He's in great physical health, it's just the Alzheimer's.

Any suggestions and opinions of places to look at or ones to avoid? I have been reading reviews online, which is helpful, but figured maybe some people on here have experience too. Ideally, I would like to see him in the Washington or Ozaukee County areas.

SSDude
12-31-2011, 03:47 PM
I've always heard good things about www.cedarcommunity.org/

Josepy
12-31-2011, 03:50 PM
I've always heard good things about www.cedarcommunity.org/

It is a very nice place and I know numerous people who work there.

michelle
12-31-2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks! I will contact them and look into Cedar Grove or the Friendship House. Unfortunately, many of the places I have spoken to have a longer waiting list.

Ricky Bobby
12-31-2011, 04:25 PM
if the place is good prob will have a list if the place is shit like most of the ones ive seen prob not

nismodave
12-31-2011, 05:01 PM
Winchester Place in Horicon.....My Grandmother is there and they have excellent care.

Xephona
12-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Lakeland nursing home in Elkhorn Wi. I used.to work.there and there is good resident/can ratio, dedicated wing to "mental" care. In fact one woman there with memory issues has a dedicated CNA with her 24/7 walking with her. She literally wants to walk all day and they accomodate very well.

michelle
01-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the additional suggestions! I have a few to check out in person this week. It will be really nice to have him closer.