PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a house

flyin_blue_egg
12-29-2011, 06:03 PM
The wife and I are starting to look at houses in the area....We found one that we both like, but I'm unsure about the area. It's located on 92nd St. North of Burleigh. We're new to the Milwaukee area as a whole. How is this area in terms of crime etc. Thanks

Silver350
12-29-2011, 06:21 PM
I have a couple friends that live in that area, both never had any complaints. I actually looking at houses in that area as well as a few other cities.

awsomeears
12-29-2011, 06:22 PM
High taxes for what the area is and to close to hood rats.......

What ball park $ are you looking to spend, I'm closing on a home in Franklin next wednesday spending 12k more then what I wanted to spend as MAX but I'm getting so much more.... yea higher taxes but its a Nice Community with very little rentals...

Just my opinion of course..

03CVLX
12-29-2011, 06:23 PM
We don't have alot that goes on up in that area. Im a dispatcher for MFD. Almost all medical calls for most part. If you want you could PM me the address and I would do a history search of the address. It can tell me if we have ever been there and for what.

xxsn0blindxx
12-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Russ Jerome used to live over there and can tell you about it. From conversations with him, the area had gone downhill and wasn't looking to get any better.

Waver
12-29-2011, 07:28 PM
I grew up in that general area, not bad at all.....However awsomeears is right, taxes are higher in the city of Milwaukee. That is probably the biggest reason why I dont want to move back into the city.

Crawlin
12-29-2011, 08:20 PM
How's the math go, $2000/year in taxes higher = about $167/month which = $35,000+ more in house value you could get. Sorry, but I'm gonna make a longer drive and live in Pewaukee/Waukesha area compared to Milwaukee and have a better neighborhood, better schools, better home value, bigger house, pay more towards EQUITY, and a bigger yard. Too many upsides.

EDIT - This is just a generality, not speaking for EVERY area of Milwaukee obviously, but I'd still rather be paying more towards my equity than to the city for property taxes while having a greater chance of home value increasing a greater % as the market turns around.

Wagonbacker9
12-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Taxes alone chased me out of milwaukee county. For an equivalent mortgage payment (my taxes are escrowed) I basically had to whack 25K off of my budget just for crossing that line. Aside from that (as you're clearly aware) that entire area is VERY hit or miss as to the quality of the neighborhood. For the same money (tax payments factored in) I bought a house in menomonee falls, where I could realistically leave my door unlocked 24/7 without even worrying. And thats even ignoring the fact that a 160lb dog would greet anyone who decided to come in. I'm not saying its a bad area (even being familiar with most of milwaukee at least to some degree), I don't really know. No matter how good it is though, I can guarantee my neighborhood is safer. Those 2 parts together were enough for me to basically rule out milwaukee county entirely.

edit: basically +1 to everything crawlin said. Plus I ended up with an 8 mile commute. lol

pOrk
12-29-2011, 09:34 PM
I live on 110th and Capitol and I have zero complaints minus paying high taxes. I couldn't afford spending 200 k on a similar house in Waukesha

Wagonbacker9
12-30-2011, 02:35 AM
I live on 110th and Capitol and I have zero complaints minus paying high taxes. I couldn't afford spending 200 k on a similar house in Waukesha
I got 3br, 1.5ba, 1340 sq ft for substantially less than 200K. Though, the listing did start at 200, and my tax assessment is over that. Soft housing market is great for that.

97z2801ss
12-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Paid alot less for a house in new berlin, I did not want a house in milwaukee county

TransAm12sec
12-30-2011, 03:04 PM
http://www.mycommunitynow.com/policereport/

michelle
12-30-2011, 03:08 PM
http://www.mycommunitynow.com/policereport/

Oh wow, it's getting really rough around my area.

Description: A resident in the N128 W19400 block of Holy Hill Road reported her coupons are being stolen from her free paper in her mailbox at 6:08 p.m. Dec. 22. An extra police watch has been issued in the area.

Ricky Bobby
12-30-2011, 04:41 PM
A 24-year-old Milwaukee woman was arrested for theft at Kmart, 3201 N. Mayfair Road, at 12:19 p.m. Dec. 19. She had only been employed at the store for a month and several suspicious thefts had occurred in her checkout line. One Dec. 19, she scanned 34 items totaling $559, and then she rebooted her register, which voided the charges, and let the customer leave. She said she was paying back a loan from a friend in stolen merchandise

A 27-year-old Milwaukee man was arrested twice for drunken driving in the 200 block of East Chateau Place: the first time at 2:50 a.m. and the second time at 5:35 a.m. Dec. 22. The first arrest occurred when the man was seen driving without lights. His BAC was 0.12 and he was taken to jail. About 5:15 a.m., he was turned over to a "responsible party." About 10 minutes later, an officer involved in the first arrest saw the man get into his car and drive off, not wearing his seat belt. He was stopped and arrested again for drunken driving. He was also arrested for operating without insurance, driving while suspended, display of unauthorized plates, nonregistration, not having stop lamps and failure to wear a seat. His BAC the second time was 0.10.

A 63-year-old Brown Deer man was arrested on two outstanding warrants for battery and failure to support after he called police to report his car had been stolen from the 4500 block of West Dean Road at 4:20 p.m. Dec. 21. When police arrived, the man gave a false birth date and misspelled his name later admitting he did so because he knew he had warrants. His car was not stolen but found on the street where he had parked it.

just some random ones around milw lol

flyin_blue_egg
12-30-2011, 05:06 PM
How's the math go, $2000/year in taxes higher = about $167/month which = $35,000+ more in house value you could get. Sorry, but I'm gonna make a longer drive and live in Pewaukee/Waukesha area compared to Milwaukee and have a better neighborhood, better schools, better home value, bigger house, pay more towards EQUITY, and a bigger yard. Too many upsides.

EDIT - This is just a generality, not speaking for EVERY area of Milwaukee obviously, but I'd still rather be paying more towards my equity than to the city for property taxes while having a greater chance of home value increasing a greater % as the market turns around.

Due to my job with the county I'm required to live with in the county. Trust me. I have family in Walworth county and would love to move to waukesha cty.

CATNHAT
12-30-2011, 05:24 PM

^^this! I even did the extra gas vs taxes comparison and it was about a wash.

Crawlin
12-30-2011, 05:28 PM
I thought that was one of the things they got rid of, the requirement to live within the city for city employees? Caused a big uproar because the city knew a shit ton of people were going to be leaving.

That sucks though.

03CVLX
12-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Nope, it has not gone through yet. Actually havent heard anything about the residency bill in a long time. Im stuck in the city of Milwaukee only as a city employee. County employees can live anywhere in Milwaukee County,

Russ Jerome
12-31-2011, 09:14 AM
It's located on 92nd St. North of Burleigh.Thanks

The area has changed a lot in 20yrs, lived West of the area on 99th and Keefe just off parkway. 20+ years ago we would get free barracades(s) to have block parties, our kids filled the streets with toys and we all grilled all weekend. My last year there I was unable to get MPD to act on a strongarm theft and verbal threats from local hood rat renters, only after I referenced several AR-15's and full clips that I would handle the issue did the police move, they have plenty to keep them buisier just East of area.

Its sad because the area your looking at was a very afluent area, was the northern edge of a lot of beutiful homes from Tosa center north to that area. If you get it cheap fence it, get dog and teach the wife firearm safety and you will be fine.

BR3W CITY
12-31-2011, 10:28 AM
A reference to how the area has changed;
In "old milwaukee" 'Tosa was the hot shit. Big big vintage houses, some very cool victorian stuff with courtyards etc, much like parts of lake drive. My grandpa used to have an optics store on Lisbon (where 41 is, but wasn't then) and that was "the" area for upper management in downtown. As shit got worse (pick a reason, I won't get into it so it doesn't become a race card argument). There are still pockets of nice in those neighborhoods, old money, some jasidic jews who take very nice care of there property, marquette kids. Not where I would move tho.

Lash
12-31-2011, 10:31 AM
I used to live on 76th and Burleigh about 18-19 years ago. We moved out when I was in 8th grade. It was a great place to live when I was in grade school but was starting to go down hill even back then. You might be o.k. around 92nd if you're tucked into a decent neighborhood, just dont park your nice car on the street...lol.

pOrk
12-31-2011, 12:04 PM
lol at replies here

-stew-
12-31-2011, 12:34 PM
lol at replies here

Every reply here: "Nothing bad happens out side of Milwaukee County!"

pOrk
12-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Such a dangerous area to live, I guess I should buy more guns and train bigger dogs!

Korndogg
12-31-2011, 12:47 PM
I just moved to Milwaukee (82nd and Wilbur) and I'm happy so far. It wasn't my first choice but for a first house it's nice and the neighborhood is filled with cops and fire fighters. I didn't think taxes were too bad either compared to some of the suburbs around here. I was happy with anything under $4000 and mine were at $3680 this last year.

This is just our first house. We don't really plan on being here past 10 years or so. Eventually I would like to move out into the country but for now I couldn't really pass it up.

I know you're looking at north side and I'm talking south side but I just figured I would throw in my two cents.

-stew-
12-31-2011, 01:24 PM
^^^ I used to live in that area for a few years, may end up back there. Awesome neighborhood. Lot's of cool cars floating around there too.

Crawlin
12-31-2011, 03:57 PM
you guys make me laugh

flyin_blue_egg
12-31-2011, 08:06 PM
I thought that was one of the things they got rid of, the requirement to live within the city for city employees? Caused a big uproar because the city knew a shit ton of people were going to be leaving.

That sucks though.

I'm not a city employee and thus am not required to live w/ in the city of milwaukee. I do however work for milwaukee COUNTY and am required to live w/ in the county.

wrath
01-01-2012, 08:06 AM
The only place in Milwaukee County that seemed affordable and decent to me is Story Hill. The idea of living in a plain house on a postage stamp yard with constantly backing-up sewers... with taxes high enough to be able to buy a new subcompact car every year. All of that wouldn't be bad except you will probably end up with shit neighbors eventually and with those high taxes you get nothing but shitty roads, bad public transportation, and poor fire & police.

kornholio788
01-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Such a dangerous area to live, I guess I should buy more guns and train bigger dogs!

Lol right! That whole never feel dangered in my house thing is tough lol.

We live on 82nd just off of north in tosa. Great area. Taxes out the ass tho. But worth it imo if you can afford it. Peace of mind knowing that odds are the guy next to you owns a car twice what yours is worth and that there is no shit neighbors to have to worry about. Love this area.

LIZMO
01-03-2012, 08:44 PM
travis - that neighborhood is iffy to me, but thats me. i would look closer to hwy 100 or even in like greenfield area... theres random areas over by me that i wouldn't even consider.
on the bright side, id deliver pizza to you!

flyin_blue_egg
01-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Yea..after looking at it again it's a bit further north then we want to go....the private school we really want to send him to is on Janesville in hales corners, so that would be a long ass drive to get him to school (when the time came). Plus it would make the drive home to see family about a half hour longer.

LIZMO
01-04-2012, 09:38 AM
no it wouldn't, it would make it 10 minutes longer. it takes me 45 mins to get to nicks house from my work, which it would be the same for you if you were coming from 92nd and burleigh. just sayinggggg lol.

flyin_blue_egg
01-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Still, from what everyone is saying it's really hit and miss in that area now. Don't really want to deal with that. Plus we've found a few nice houses with bigger yards and are around the same price.

pOrk
01-05-2012, 06:57 AM
Still, from what everyone is saying it's really hit and miss in that area now. Don't really want to deal with that. Plus we've found a few nice houses with bigger yards and are around the same price.

Not sure what your price point is but look between capitol and hampton just east of hwy 100. Lots of big yards and pretty killer neighborhood, most of it is tosa

jbiscuit
01-05-2012, 01:39 PM
I just moved to Milwaukee (82nd and Wilbur)

my buddy greg is on the corner of 79th and wilbur with the 3 car garage. Great neighborhood

Korndogg
01-05-2012, 01:48 PM
nice!

flyin_blue_egg
01-05-2012, 09:32 PM

We've figured we can afford between $150,000-$200,000. But our prefered price would be around $170ish.

pOrk
01-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Want an indoor pool? One down the road for me tri level indoor pool for 200 but I'm sure they'll take less ;). Not much yard though

flyin_blue_egg
01-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Want an indoor pool? One down the road for me tri level indoor pool for 200 but I'm sure they'll take less ;). Not much yard though

That's the prob. I would much rather have a smallish house (3 BR/ 1-2 baths), 2 car garage (attached or not don't matter) and have a yard that I can fence in to let my kid and my dog play around in. Plus I don't want the hassle of maintaining a pool, be in inside or outside.

Rocket Power
01-06-2012, 06:11 PM
We've figured we can afford between $150,000-$200,000. But our prefered price would be around $170ish.If I had that money to spend, I wouldn't spend it in the city of Milwaukee and their stupid wheel tax.