PDA

View Full Version : Shepard/Husky mix

Korndogg
12-26-2011, 07:44 PM
A couple years ago we basically fell in love with a german shepard husky mix but we couldn't get it at the time because of our apartments. But since we are in a house now we would like to get one. Does anyone know where we could look to find a puppy? We also wouldn't mind a husky or a german shepard puppy but we don't want to pay $3000 either for a pure bread. But if anyone has any leads please let me know!

Thanks!

michelle
12-26-2011, 07:47 PM
There was a German Shephard on Chitown a couple months ago.

http://www.chitownracing.com/forums/showthread.php?188720-4-month-old-german-shepherd-needs-home/page2

Korndogg
12-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks. Posted to see if the dog is still available.

Korndogg
12-26-2011, 10:20 PM
If anyone else has any leads also that would be great.

michelle
12-27-2011, 06:00 AM
I <3 rescues.

http://www.whitepawsgsr.com/
http://gsraw.com/
http://www.germanshepherd911.org/

CarrotTop
12-27-2011, 09:57 AM
MY friend has a horse out here.. And the lady that owns the place also breeds German shepherds

http://www.wix.com/okthoma/diamondacres#!german-shepards (site is brand new they still working on some of it but info is up)

pOrk
12-27-2011, 10:01 AM
We have a small shepard mix for adoption, check JR's Pups n Stuff petfinder website for more info. He is currently at our house if you want to check him out, 1 year old

Korndogg
12-27-2011, 10:23 AM
ok thanks everyone! I'm going to check these places out. Pork what is the name of that dog?

Prince Valiant
12-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Joe Cekosh (JC07SS or something) mom breeds GSD's. You may also want to ask Murray (WHATsADSM) too, both him and his inlaws he has a gorgeous GSDs and contacts.

As far as GSD's go, definitely go with a reputable breeder...hip dysplasia is sadly a common malady with this breed. Even when you go to a known good breeder who screens their breeding pairs/etc, it can still occur :(

88Nightmare
12-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Joe Cekosh (JC07SS or something) mom breeds GSD's. You may also want to ask Murray (WHATsADSM) too, both him and his inlaws he has a gorgeous GSDs and contacts.

As far as GSD's go, definitely go with a reputable breeder...hip dysplasia is sadly a common malady with this breed. Even when you go to a known good breeder who screens their breeding pairs/etc, it can still occur :(

Some pups will show signs of CHD as early as 8 weeks. Watch them run around and play. A GSD pup who runs around with their back legs together instead of moving them at least somewhat independently is a good sign they will have CHD in their future. If they "bunny hop" instead of striding, that is also a sign. People think it's an adorable puppy trait, and it can be, and since they will grow out of it people pay it no mind, however, CHD symptoms will almost definitely re-emerge later.

Other issues they can tend to develop is pinched nerves in their hips, which will cause both of their back legs to almost entirely shut down. It's sad to watch, and also very painful for them. Just keep an eye on it.

JC70SS
12-27-2011, 10:12 PM
I will ask my Mom if she knows of any pups for sale. BTW a purebread dog is not even close to $3000. Probably under a grand.

team beater
12-27-2011, 10:59 PM
My dad breeds huskies and mals, he just had a litter. Ill send pics in a min

Korndogg
12-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Thanks guys!

team beater
12-27-2011, 11:03 PM
http://www.snowpawshuskies.com/Husky_Puppies_Available.html
http://www.snowpawshuskies.com/
or
http://wildspiritalaskanmalamutes.com/girls.html
http://wildspiritalaskanmalamutes.com/

team beater
12-27-2011, 11:13 PM
pretty sure they offer a pretty good warranty as well

pOrk
12-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Supporting a breeder is just supporting the problem

The Shepard mix we have is named Colby and I think that's how he is listed on petfinder as well

88Nightmare
12-28-2011, 08:06 AM

The Shepard mix we have is named Colby and I think that's how he is listed on petfinder as well

Exactly. I love purebreds as much as the next guy, but the humane societies and independent rescue groups have SO many great dogs who need a good home. This time of year is the worst for them because you get people who buy a purebred as a gift and then end up having to give it away when they realize how much work it will be.

If you must have a purebred, find it at a rescue. There's plenty breed specific rescues, just google it.

Crawlin
12-28-2011, 08:27 AM
I have my purebred Husky, Pandora. She is very loving, but unfortunately the previous owners(the male) treated her like crap and she is very afraid of men. She can stand being around them, and especially loves little kids, but it has taken 3-4 months to get to that point, and at the slightest disagreement between Liz and I, the dog cowers and is afraid of me. Pandora had watched this other guy beat his ex-wife basically. Have tried sleeping next to it on the floor, have tried classes, have tried behavioralists, have tried that wrap that goes around the dog to "comfort" it. I can't even go by her to pet her without her trying to play keep away and stays away from me. She eventually calms down, and if I have a treat or a bone, she is all for being my best buddy. But it is tiresome and has taken a toll on us.

I guess what I'm getting at is, even though she's a purebred, she's from one of, if not THE top Husky breeder, her lineage is all Iditarod champions and we have all the lineage going all the way back, and she's been raced as a sled dog in short races, etc.... even with ALL of that, there are still issues that you will have to work through. We got her as a 2 y/o and it was to help this other couple out as they were getting divorced. Looking back, I'm glad we got her out of that home, but the pain of having "man's best friend" not want anything to do with you has been hard to overcome. She loves Liz like no other and will be right by her side at all times. Again, glad to have rescued her, but I wish I would have gotten one from the Humane Society. Niya, my shiba inu/husky mix from the Wisconsin Humane Society was the best dog one could ask for. Even in an apartment complex setting, you could just open the door, she'd go run and do her business and come running back into the house.

I hope you find one that fits your family Mark.

Prince Valiant
12-28-2011, 09:24 AM

What "problem" would this be?

Korndogg
12-28-2011, 09:38 AM
The first place I checked was the humane society. Both Milwaukee and Ozaukee. They just don't have what we want right at the moment. We aren't in a super rush to do this so it may take us a couple months or so to find the right one.

My dog is also skiddish but eventually she will warm up to someone and be their best friend. Something happened in her past though where she is very afriad of certain movements and object like doors. She has problems walking between a wall and a box or through a half closed door. At the same time though she doesn't ever want to be left alone. She follows us around the house all day.

88Nightmare
12-28-2011, 10:20 AM

There's many. Primarily over population though.

pOrk
12-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Colby: http://www.adoptapet.com/pet6631063.html

You're joking right?

Prince Valiant
12-28-2011, 10:58 AM
There's many. Primarily over population though.
Breeders contribute to overpopulation?

You're joking right?No. You assert that "supporting a breeder is supporting the problem" without defining anything. I'd like to know what problem your talking about, and it's causes.

88Nightmare
12-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Are you implying that breeders are able to produce dogs without increasing the canine population? I'm not saying they are the primary cause, nor the leading contributor, but still a contributor.

You know what they say... You're a part of the problem if you're not a part of the solution.

... Awaits lengthy response.

WhatsADSM
12-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Re: Above ^
So as a breeder you shouldn't be allowed to breed a dog because some people are irresponsible and can't handle a dog and/or because dogs in the wild reproduce? Goes both ways.

My $.02 (which isn't worth a ton on this subject). Purchasing a dog is always a crap shoot.

I've had a shepherd rescue that didn't work out and required FAR FAR more care than we were told and more than my wife and I could comfortable give, one basically perfect shepherd from a breeder, and now one great shepherd from a breeder that has a mild case of hip dysplasia (which BTW he showed zero signs of, unless under an x-ray).

Point is, I would be open to buying a "mutt" from the Humane Society, open to a rescue, and open to a well bred dog from a breeder. They all have their ups and downs, but no one should feel bad because they chose one of those options. IMO only reason you should feel bad is if you purchased from an irresponsible breeder (i.e. puppy mill).

To the OP (my $.02 is worth a little more here):
Shepherds are fantastic dogs, however I must warn you they are not exactly a good dog for a first timer (not sure if this applies to you or not).
They are extremely intelligent (which is good and bad), FANTASTIC with the family and kids, and basically good all-around dogs. I got this from some Police media or something, but I think they say it best when they say: The German Shepherd isn't the most intelligent dog out there, it doesn't have the strongest bite, can't jump the highest, etc. However it is #2 at everything, and they are EXTREMELY versatile dogs in that they are basically damn good at everything.

So yea I wouldn't hesitate in saying they are truly amazing dogs, that will be almost everything to you and your family: Best friend, entertainment, and protection.

Now on to the "bad":
- They require a TON of work, primarily when young. They need a lot of exercise and expect at least a walk or 2 a day. Beyond that though a German Shepherd (based on the breed) really wants a job, and wants mental stimulation. So you will need to play/train/mentally stimulate a shepherd everyday, otherwise they will find other ways of releasing their energy/boredom and none of them are good.
- Many Shepherds can be (in my eyes at least) a little OVER protective. Once they are older and out of puppy/adolescences they will begin to be wary of people/dogs that are not the family. So just be careful, as protecting is in their blood and they are VERY strong animals.

88Nightmare
12-28-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm not saying someone shouldn't breed dogs. There's no law against that. But when someone is simply seeking companionship and a family pet/house dog, a purebred just isn't necessary. There's plenty of good "mutts" that need homes and can be just as good of a companion, regardless of how impure their lineage may be.

Unless I am looking for a particular dog to perform a particular task such as hunting, agility training, protection... A purebred is not necessary, and often not worth the money.

Depending on breed, purebred vary in price from $400-$900 or more. Why pay that when there are fantastic dogs at rescues or humane societies for a fraction of the cost? Yes, some are mentally scarred from previous owners. They still deserve another chance.

WhatsADSM
12-28-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm not saying someone shouldn't breed dogs. There's no law against that. But when someone is simply seeking companionship and a family pet/house dog, a purebred just isn't necessary. There's plenty of good "mutts" that need homes and can be just as good of a companion, regardless of how impure their lineage may be.

Unless I am looking for a particular dog to perform a particular task such as hunting, agility training, protection... A purebred is not necessary, and often not worth the money.

Depending on breed, purebred vary in price from $400-$900 or more. Why pay that when there are fantastic dogs at rescues or humane societies for a fraction of the cost? Yes, some are mentally scarred from previous owners. They still deserve another chance.

Yup I absolutely agree. There are TONs and TONs of great dogs at the humane society that deserve another chance. "Pure" or not many make great family dogs.

The flip side of course is some don't and in my personal opinion the reason you buy a pure bred from a good breeder (other than a working dog as you mentioned) is because you have a much larger chance of getting what you are really looking for. For hundreds of years pure breds have been bred to not only look, but also act in a certain manner. Case in point, I will have a family by the next time I am looking to purchase a dog and would like a dog that is PRIMARILY great with family, great with people, and I can take anywhere.
Therefore I will be strongly considering a pure bred Golden Retriever, (English) Labrador, or take my chances on an older dog from the Humane Society. Thing is when I buy from a pure bred from a reputable breeder I know what I am getting myself into at least more so than a dog from the Humane Society.

88Nightmare
12-28-2011, 03:06 PM
I got an 8 week old black lab pup from the humane society, and he's a great dog. At 17 months, he currently has hip Dysplasia, an issue that could have happened with an AKC purebred. He's still a great dog, and as my girlfriends 70lb lapdog, his condition doesn't drastically affect his purpose in life.

I agree with your reasons behind having a purebred but at the same time, with enough patience and diligence, you can correct most behavioral flaws.

If someone doesn't necessarily have the time to work with a dog and make those corrections, then who's to say they'll have time to raise a purebred puppy? A puppy, pure or not, can be very challenging for those unprepared and have never raised a puppy before.

Prince Valiant
12-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Mike, it doesn't surprise me that you've backtracked off your original asinine assertion. Most of the overpopulation comes not from responsible breeders producing and surrendering too many dogs, but simply stray unspayed/neutered dogs breeding resulting in unwanted litters.

To glibly say "if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem" means nothing...then the "solution" is euthanizing dogs, and by rescuing them, you're "part of the problem." Heh...funny how that works, eh?

Point is, I would be open to buying a "mutt" from the Humane Society, open to a rescue, and open to a well bred dog from a breeder. They all have their ups and downs, but no one should feel bad because they chose one of those options. IMO only reason you should feel bad is if you purchased from an irresponsible breeder (i.e. puppy mill).Just about perfectly said...though I'd add "backyard breeders" to the mix of those one should generally avoid sourcing a dog from.

I can't stand the holier-than-thou "One should only rescue because blah blah blah..." mantra. As someone whose rescued young and very old dogs and fostered a number of others, as well as purchased from breeders, there are good reasons for doing either. One is not more moral, or necessarily better for everyone.

Fact of the matter is, most people surrender their dogs because of the dog being a poor fit for the owner/family. Some families are plenty adaptable and can take a wide range of dogs...for them adopting a mutt or otherwise might make great sense. For others, the predictable behavior characteristics of certain pure-breeds, or even mutt types (IE, collie/shepherd mix, retriever mixes, beagle mixes, etc all offer some reasonable predictability). Sure, as Murray points out, it's not a certainty that your pure-breed or mutt-type will behave a certain way, but I guarantee you won't end up with a border collie that sleeps 23 hours a day and needs nothing more than a pat on the head, nor will you end up with an old english bulldog that needs to be walked 10 miles a day lest he becomes destructive and poorly behaved.

Just like the decision to get a puppy or not...for many getting the older dog makes sense, for others, the fun and work of raising a puppy is part of the fun of having a dog. Sometimes people get bitter even though you rescued because you rescued a puppy when there were plenty of older dogs that need homes too...

Murray should also add regarding the GSD, as well as a husky or any mix thereof: Shedding. Both are heavy shedders. Though Murray's dog wasn't bad in that regard....

WhatsADSM
12-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Mike, it doesn't surprise me that you've backtracked off your original asinine assertion. Most of the overpopulation comes not from responsible breeders producing and surrendering too many dogs, but simply stray unspayed/neutered dogs breeding resulting in unwanted litters. To glibly say "if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem" means nothing...then the "solution" is euthanizing dogs, and by rescuing them, you're "part of the problem." Heh...funny how that works.

Just about perfectly said...though I'd add "backyard breeders" to the mix of those one should generally avoid sourcing a dog from.

I can't stand the holier-than-thou "One should only rescue because blah blah blah..." mantra. As someone whose rescued young and very old dogs and fostered a number of others, as well as purchased from breeders, there are good reasons for doing either. One is not more moral, or necessarily better for everyone.

Fact of the matter is, most people surrender their dogs because of the dog being a poor fit for the owner/family. Some families are plenty adaptable and can take a wide range of dogs...for them adopting a mutt or otherwise might make great sense. For others, the predictable behavior characteristics of certain pure-breeds, or even mutt types (IE, collie/shepherd mix, retriever mixes, beagle mixes, etc all offer some reasonable predictability). Sure, as Murray points out, it's not a certainty that your pure-breed or mutt-type will behave a certain way, but I guarantee you won't end up with a border collie that sleeps 23 hours a day and needs nothing more than a pat on the head, nor will you end up with an old english bulldog that needs to be walked 10 miles a day lest he becomes destructive and poorly behaved.

Just like the decision to get a puppy or not...for many getting the older dog makes sense, for others, the fun and work of raising a puppy is part of the fun of having a dog. Sometimes people get bitter even though you rescued because you rescued a puppy when there were plenty of older dogs that need homes too...

Murray should also add regarding the GSD, as well as a husky or any mix thereof: Shedding. Both are heavy shedders. Though Murray's dog wasn't bad in that regard....

Nothing I can really add here that Chris hasn't already said. Yea I was too ambiguous with my statement before. Only reason to feel bad is if you purchase from an irresponsible breeder, which isn't JUST a puppy mill but also a "backyard breeder" (that has little regard for the dog or the breed and typically has much lower prices than everyone else).

And yes both Shepherds and Husky's are both BIG TIME shredders. I kind of forgot since I got a little blessed with the younger GSD who got a recessive (but AWESOME and ironically a minor "fault" within the breed) trait of having slightly wavy hair. He sheds like a quarter of what the older GSD does. If you get a Shepherd or Husky expect that when not blowing their coat after petting for a few seconds you will end up with a hand of hair. When blowing their coat (2 times a year) you can quite literally pinch clumps of hair right off their body. So yea you will be vacuuming every week minimum assuming a single dog.

Crawlin
12-28-2011, 07:59 PM
That would be one of the issues I figured they were trying to get at. There are only so many breeders(IMHO). But there are a TON of backyard breeders and alot of them advertise on places like petfinder. They are just short of being categorized as a puppy mill. A proper breeder doesn't allow someone to just come on by and pick up their puppy. I figure it should be like a college application or a job application. You should see the contract and paperwork required from the breeder of Pandora. Legal documents stating you are not allowed to breed the dog you bought(to keep that breeder's lines clean) and legal penalties for not returning dog to breeder if looking to get rid of it. Those backyard breeders that you speak of are the cause of overpopulation. Those are where those strays are coming from alot more so than the humane society. Breeders only after the $ and not after the best for their puppies and the right fit for the family.

Again, just my opinion based on the limited things I've seen/experienced.

Ha, as for the blowing coat thing, it's rediculous but if you get one of those furminators it's awesome. And it takes more than just one time a week vaccuming with a husky, haha. One time keeps it off the carpet that night. If you don't want it on your clothes, figure 100/month in lint rollers, haha

88Nightmare
12-28-2011, 08:52 PM
To glibly say "if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem" means nothing...then the "solution" is euthanizing dogs, and by rescuing them, you're "part of the problem." Heh...funny how that works, eh?

My line you quoted is some variation of a tired line I hear tossed around way too frequently, so I thought I'd throw it out there again. It was sarcasm.

Moving on, I don't think that breeding and the purchasing of bred dogs shouldn't happen over rescuing dogs, however most people on this site seem to be after a friend, not a worker or sporting dog (aside from those who hunt on here), so given that fact, I could not justify the cost of a purebred. Plus with rescues and humane societies packed to the roof, why not adopt instead of feeding the demand for purebreds?

And I don't follow your logic. Yes, euthanasia is already used for controlling pet population... You must not read MADACC statistics. By adopting instead of purchasing a purebred thus increasing the demand for purebreds and having more and more litters being whelped, you can fill that vacancy in your home with a dog that already exists and is already homeless.

I can argue this for hours Chris... I'm on winter break and sit on a computer all day at work. I have lots of time and an opinion that won't change :)

On a side note, our next dog is most likely going to be either a GSD, Samoyed, or Malamute. And once we are ready to invite dog #2 into our home, it will come from a reputable breed rescue.

Prince Valiant
12-28-2011, 10:41 PM
And I don't follow your logic.
Why does this not surprise me? :goof

Okay, you're say the problem is "overpopulation"

If one "saves" or "rescues" a dog, the population does not change...it remains fixed, and thus as you termed it before a "problem." And as you (for some reason sarcastically) said...

Oh sure, you could try to say it'd reduce the number of litters produced...although, then by your logic, the overpopulation "problem" would show that the vast majority of dogs taken in via humane societies and at MADACC would be of these "purebreeds" or even designer breeds that all these breeders are producing.

Are they? I mean, I have no statistics to back me up, but most dogs I've seen at MADACC and at the humane society, but many, perhaps most, seem to be of the mixed or "accidental breed" bred, rather than purposely bred by breeders.

Of course, there is a persistent myth about canine overpopulation. Again, just casual observation, this doesn't seem to be the case...I live in Milwaukee, routinely go downtown and to the south side...I don't see hoards of dogs, running wild or otherwise. Is there really a pet overpopulation problem? Let's look at some actual examples of research:

What is the truth about pet overpopulation? How can we find it and, more importantly, how can we use it to our advantage? Dr. Al Stinson, Legislative Director of the Michigan Association for Purebred Dogs and the Michigan Hunting Dog Federation, has come up with a solution that has worked very well in his home state. More than ten years ago, he lobbied successfully for a state law that required every animal shelter to report to the state Department of Agriculture the intake and disposition of unwanted pets. Two years ago, Dr. Stinson hired a veterinarian to review the figures for a three-year period. To our delight (and, I confess, our surprise), the number of dogs euthanized had declined each of the three years. While nearly half of the dogs entering shelters were euthanized, that number (about 50,000 dogs) represents just over two percent of the Michigan dog population.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/Articles/LegislativeUpdate08192008Sure, the number of dogs destroyed seems high, but the reality is two percent is a very low portion of the overall population. A percentage like that can easily be explained by neglectful and careless owners who lose their dogs and don't care to find them, or simply surrendering them for any number of other reasons. Include in that percentage dogs that CAN'T be rehomed simply because they're unhealthy, sick, overly aggressive, or other reason that making rehoming a dog impossible.

The fact that I cite only the percentage euthanize doesn't represent all the other dogs that end up in shelters...but those dogs find homes, meaning someone wanted them, meaning that the number of people who want dogs roughly equals the number of dogs...meaning, there really isn't this "overpopulation" problem some animal rights advocacy push all the time. Sure...tug the at heart strings and get a donation or someone to adopt...but the facts don't support the claims.

As to your "everyone who doesn't hunt or whatever" doesn't need a purebreed...fine. Get what the hell you want, no one really gives a fuck. If you can't see the wisdom of selecting a dog with predictable traits and behaviors, and how this might work to some peoples advantage, well, that's your shortcoming, not other peoples.

On a side note, our next dog is most likely going to be either a GSD, Samoyed, or Malamute. And once we are ready to invite dog #2 into our home, it will come from a reputable breed rescue.They should build a statue for you, you hero you! I can see the headlines now

"MAN RESCUES DOG!"

:rolleyes:

88Nightmare
12-29-2011, 07:34 AM
I just read the first and last sentences of your overly worded post so for now all I have to say is: they should have built it months ago.

I'll give a better response after I wake up some more and drink some coffee.

michelle
12-29-2011, 07:57 AM
Yikes.

Hope you are able to find what you are looking for Mark.

88Nightmare
12-29-2011, 11:25 AM

I see what you are saying. And there isn't much of what you said that I can refute without some far reaching, which would just end up being flawed arguments anyway. I suppose my thoughts on the topic should be redirected towards those who operate puppy mills and do the "backyard breeding". The professional breeders I have met have some of the finest pups I have ever seen, and breed their dogs as healthily as possible, which I must respect.

Of the people I know, I feel that they are too quick to dismiss the prospect of purchasing their next pooch from a humane society as opposed to a breeder. Personally, I like the idea of adopting from rescues/humane societies, but on the other hand, I can't deny the fact that I love raising a puppy, and starting the obedience and teachings on a dog with a clean slate... I do realize bad habits in a mature dog can be difficult to break.

You offer valid points, and I can't ignore that. But on the same token, I still tend to source my dogs from the humane society. Even if I was searching for a purebred pup, I can't really afford purebred prices anyway, and I only own dogs simply for the companionship. As long as the dog likes to play, and can enjoy quiet time, it's a perfect dog for me. My budget doesn't allow for other potentially desirable traits such you speak of.

Ricky Bobby
12-29-2011, 10:41 PM
what the fuck happened in here, is there anything u guys wont argue about?????????????? Mark hope u find what u are looking for ill keep my eyes open for a wolf like u really want :P

that was a joke for all u others

pOrk
12-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Lol at wolf comment.

Chris, until you are volunteering your home and huge amounts of your time to some sort of rescue I am not willing to argue this with you.

As for OP, best part about mixes of those breeds is the fact that some will notables as much as othrs. The mix we have sheds about a 1/3 as much as one of out pitbull mix pups, we literally vacuume twice a day to keep the house in order as I hate dog hair on our stuff.