PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel Ram Experts ( anyone local )

awsomeears
12-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Any local Tunnel Ram experts you know of ?

I went through a crash coarse on my buddys 327 with tunnel ram and ( 2 ) Holley 450's and seems pretty straight forward about power valve and vacuum -2 and what not. But I have no problem doing the work and getting it all installed, just would like a Tuning Hand that has been down this road...

From the bench reading I have seen some prefer ( 2 ) de-tuned Holley 450 without power valves
Or the Holley 390's

Its all new to me, I love it !

Can anyone suggest a General Hot Rod board ?

badass88gt
12-21-2011, 05:52 PM
YellowBullet.com

jbiscuit
12-21-2011, 06:48 PM
seriously why are you ditching the mechanical fuel injection????

awsomeears
12-21-2011, 07:55 PM
seriously why are you ditching the mechanical fuel injection????

It is awesome looking no doubt about it...

It is NOT practical on the street what so ever !!!

Its nostalgic as hell but I want to drive this car to a local show and to Iola and back down to power tour in chi-town, tunnel ram is still era correct and more user friendly..

Theres a reason you don't see them on daily driven hot rods..

awsomeears
12-21-2011, 08:01 PM
The radical change this system goes through during warm days and cool fall days was nuts, temp, humidity effect this system on a drop of a dime. It was not fun burning up a gallon of gas in 5 mins of driving with my eyes burning on a cool day, the fuel pump is on a 2:1 ratio and never changes. the pills are already set so there is NO tuning on the fly if needed.

WickedSix
12-22-2011, 08:18 AM
mechanical fuel injection is awesome looking....but tuned for one condition WOT.... I still love the look of the velocity stacks.... but if you want to cruise and actually drive the car.... the tunnel ram is much more suited to that duty

The only tunnel ram I've ever worked with seemed to be tuned just like you would any other carb vehicle just twice as many jets, vaccuum springs, squirters, etc

DR.FORD
12-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Let me know when you are ready to set them up for tuning.
Jim 414-483-8850

-stew-
12-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Four dueces with stacks. /thread

awsomeears
12-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Let me know when you are ready to set them up for tuning.
Jim 414-483-8850

Jim I will shoot you a call when there mounted...

Actually Big Bill & Pete brought you up in a conversation about tunnel rams....

Jim the only 2 question I have before I spend some $$$

Do you think two Holley 450's on a 9:75:1 compression roller 400 small block chevy is to much ?

&

Do you have any past history with a specific brand of Tunnel ram... Wieand seems to be the ticket from other forums

Good friend of mine ( You know him) Joey The Wop's T-bucket has a lumpy 327 and he is running two 450's and seems to have no issues Street Driving or WOT

I'd like to find a vintage tunnel ram of some sort...

Jim thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule...

awsomeears
12-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Four dueces with stacks. /thread

I'd like to find real Copper ones...

DR.FORD
12-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Jim I will shoot you a call when there mounted...

Actually Big Bill & Pete brought you up in a conversation about tunnel rams....

Jim the only 2 question I have before I spend some $$$

Do you think two Holley 450's on a 9:75:1 compression roller 400 small block chevy is to much ?

&

Do you have any past history with a specific brand of Tunnel ram... Wieand seems to be the ticket from other forums

Good friend of mine ( You know him) Joey The Wop's T-bucket has a lumpy 327 and he is running two 450's and seems to have no issues Street Driving or WOT

I'd like to find a vintage tunnel ram of some sort...

Jim thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule...
The two 450's will work with tuning- remember these are mechanical secondary with no accelerator pumps on the secondary side, so some tuning may be involved because of possible stumble. The CFM is correct, but I've been known to put more carb on a combo than needed! I have a set of 600's off of my Talladega we could try on it, just for shits & grins! They have the vac. sec. equalizer and work great.
I have worked with many brands, and they will all act differently depending on combo. Get what you like- they pretty much all do the same thing.
Jim

awsomeears
12-26-2011, 10:15 AM
And from the reading I have done and speaking with others of random forums I'm on, allot of guys are very similar about the stumble/lean these 450's have...

The reason they get the hesitation (lean bog) is because they do not have secondary squirters so they don't receive much pump shot. By going to the 50cc accelerator pumps it gives a higher volume pump shot and eliminates the lean bog

Seems like the general recommendation by many is a 50cc ....

Interesting stuff :thumbsup

frank_zappa_is_dead
01-03-2012, 02:40 PM
I had a T-rammed 396 that ran 660 cfm center squirter holleys wich were designed to be used on a t ram. Hence no power valve big pumps ect. I played with the jetting alot and finnaly got it run pretty damn good. Personally id run two 500 carters on it.