PDA

View Full Version : adult dog house training

Memphis
12-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Anyone have any luck or experience with house training older dogs? We are going to try and house train our two 8 year old labs to be more inside dogs than outside, especially with weather. They have been outdoor dogs all their lives. Any helpfull suggestions?

michelle
12-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Delilah and Scout were living outside when they came to live with us. I don't exactly know for how long, but at the beginning they both wanted to go outside a lot. They both love sleeping on the couches now under blankets, so they adjusted pretty quick. During the summer they would lay in the sun quite a bit and not want to come inside. When it's cold/wet, they come back inside quickly.

Scout took a little longer to get used to the "bathroom is only outside" thing, but Delilah never had a problem. Only suggestion I have is crate training. They are probably used to having their "safe place" outside, so give them the same inside. Delilah got used to her crate quick after I put a big dark blanket over it to make her feel more "secure".

Glad to hear they are coming inside! (:

Prince Valiant
12-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Usually what works best is to start them in smaller areas and keep them there to start. Dogs naturally don't like going in their own den, so if they identify their new enclosure (say limiting them to the kitchen or laundry room to start), they usually will try to hold off until they get outside.

At the start, frequent trips outside is recommended...so that when they do go, you get the praise opportunities. Once they start to get consistent in holding it until outside, you can lengthen the intervals b/w outside trips. Likewise, as they get it, you can also allow them more room in the house as you see fit.

Don't admonish them if they went while you were gone though...the only time to correct is catching them IN THE ACT. I've never minded catching a dog in the act because a quick "NO" and them get them outside does wonders for teaching them where they should go.

It takes patience, and I'll tell you, there will be more errors than you think possible...but they'll "get it"; once they do, all is good :)