PDA

View Full Version : Church & Religious thoughts..

badass88gt
12-12-2011, 01:39 AM
I have very little religious upbringing, my dad is Catholic and my mom is Jewish, we celebrate Christmas, I light the menorah and say the prayer for Hanukkah but that is about it. I have a basic knowledge of both religion's beliefs, my wife is Lutheran, again, not very "into it", but she has hinted that she would like to start going to Lutheran church services, I believe for her own personal reasons and to introduce religion to my 2 stepchildren.

I'm a bit conflicted on this, for a couple reasons, one being my "mixed" upbringing, the other being that I'm not at all her religion. Admittedly I know nothing about Lutheran beliefs, how they differ from Catholic, Jewish, etc. I really only light the menorah out of appreciation for my mother and grandmother (RIP).

I would like to support my wife, and I would like to send the right message to my (step)kids, but at the same time it is not "my" religion and I have a bit of a "betrayal/disprectful" feeling towards my parents and grandma. Any thoughts on how to handle this?

Thanks for reading.....Dan

GHOSST
12-12-2011, 02:42 AM
So stay true to your religion, and embrace hers as well. There's enough Jesus for everyone :). I imagine the main principles are somewhat the same, believing is believing.

Lash
12-12-2011, 05:14 AM
Go to a non-denominational church.

WickedSix
12-12-2011, 07:34 AM
I say visit them all. It's been my experience most congregations are open to people wanting to explore their Church.... It is my understanding that since Martin Luther is a reformation of the Catholic church many of the teachings and much of the structures are similar... Expose the kids to religion and let them make the choice if they want to persue it further. Going to church doesn't make you a good person, good people come from many different religious and non-religious backgrounds. Its more important to instill the values of being a good person than anything else, and I believe church is just a good structure for many people to learn that. The whole experience might help you understand your own religious background even better. The jewish religion, if nothing else, is a wealth of history and tradition. Don't underestimate the kids, I knew very early I didn't agree with some of the things the religion I grew up in taught. IMHO church should lift your spirit and re-energize you... it shouldn't be a chore.

pOrk
12-12-2011, 12:51 PM
They are all batshit crazy go big or go home with this one and go mormon or jahova. :)

animal
12-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Its more important to instill the values of being a good person than anything else

This.

Holeshot
12-12-2011, 03:17 PM
I dont know what to say. I was raised lutheran but have explored a few religions. I found that to be true to myself I have become Agnostic. I do believe there is a higher power and one must practice good values in order to have inner peace with oneself. You reap what you sow. Karma !

-stew-
12-12-2011, 03:19 PM
They are all batshit crazy go big or go home with this one and go mormon or jahova. :)

Eric hits a home run once again! Go all in, join them Fred Phelps crazies! I mean parishioners. :cool:

In for seriousnessly, I spent twelve years in Catholic schools and I am not Catholic. I'm Episcopal, it's like catholic lite. All the baisc teachings are the same, only difference I've ever noticed are some administrative things. Female priests, married clergy, divorce and remarriage are allowed, and they now allow gay clergy (something that has kept me from going back.) I say go, listen, participate as you feel comfortable. I don't know how close you are with the step kids, but if you aren't in full on father figure mode I don't think pushing your Jewish roots on them is a good idea, but exposing them to it cannot hurt.

animal
12-12-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm Episcopal, it's like catholic lite.

Do episcopalians believe that joe piscopo is the messiah?

wrath
12-12-2011, 05:24 PM
You don't have to go to church to have a relationship with your God(s). Do it on your own time and do it on your own dime.

If you need structure or anything else of the nature, religion isn't where it should be. It's a common reason and a common excuse for doing just about anything. And if fear or praise from your God(s) is reason enough for you to do or not do something, then you're screwed.

If you think God speaks to you, there is medication for that.

lordairgtar
12-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Episcopal Church is basically the Church Of England in America. I was raised Catholic and joined a committed community (Jesus People) in the 70s when I left home. My Girl friend is Lutheran and attends every Sunday except during car show season. I see the Lutheran Church as Catholic Lite...basically German Episcopalians if you want to use that analogy. Lutherans don't generally pray to, or venerate the saints and The Virgin Mary. I don't believe the Episcopalians do neither. In Christianity, there are many different beliefs and denominations. There are Christians who follow no denominations. There are even different sects of Jewish belief, mostly Orthodox, Reformed or one other that I cannot remember what they call themselves. There are even Messianic Jews who believe Christ is the Savior. Their belief stems from the fact that Christ was a Jew and did not officially create a new religion. You have to remember that before the birth of Christ, most Jews anticipated his coming as foretold in the prophetic writings of the Torah. During the time of Christ, most Jews refused to believe Jesus was the Christ because they were looking for a political messiah to free them from the shackles of the Roman Empire. I would suggest, as was said by others, you visit different churches, discuss options with your wife. This should not become a bone of contention between you two, although without understanding and patience, it could turn to that. Don't consider this a betrayal of your parent's beliefs. Please remember that they already have co-mingled the two beliefs into one family...and that ain't necessarily a bad thing. It has allowed you to see the two cultures. I wish you all the best and may God bless your family.

BR3W CITY
12-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Science!

Car Guy
12-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Always leave yourself open to explore new ideas regardless the subject matter/situation and do not be afraid to try something deemed 'different'. You will never know 'all' unless you know every aspect of something, not only what you were taught to believe. The second you become 'close minded' is the second you stop evolving. We all know what happens to anything that does not evolve.....

brotherbenn83
12-13-2011, 01:15 PM
No religion here, after spending 9 years in Catholic school. It all seems like a crock of shit to me.

Rent Religulous and watch it with her, that ought to get her to leave you alone.

Car Guy
12-13-2011, 04:55 PM
No religion here, after spending 9 years in Catholic school. It all seems like a crock of shit to me.

British_Ben
12-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Rent Religulous and watch it with her, that ought to get her to leave you alone.

Great documentary. Funny to boot.

lordairgtar
12-15-2011, 06:24 PM
When I was in the Jesus People communities back in the 70s, I was amazed at the strong commitment of some of the brothers and sisters. I've been in touch with some of them through the years and most are still strong in the Lord. In fact, many of the old "Jesus Freaks" are still working as ministers and missionaries. One just left to Ireland to start a church there.

gottwins?
12-15-2011, 11:54 PM
Repeat post...sorry.

gottwins?
12-16-2011, 12:00 AM

Yes.

I went to religious schools my whole life and I have the same opinion.

The FACT of the matter is, religious beliefs are personal ones. You don't need a middle man to communicate with god/gods or to show your love for him/them. If anyone tells you otherwise they have or have been brain washed with other intentions. Unfortunately if they are your step children it is a delicate subject that really depends on your relationship. I would say the more religions you know the better, and always give them free will to follow their own path. Religious beliefs should not be something that is taught, but something that should be shown so that you can make your own decision later in life.

With that said....Like stated above, trying to be a good person is the most important thing, nobody is perfect but the effort you put forth (even if you don't believe in any kind of religion) is appreciated by god or even by those around you.

Nick 1
02-12-2012, 02:25 PM
What did you decide ???

Firefighter Z
02-14-2012, 11:28 AM
We got kicked out of a Catholic Church because we never donated any money... I figured that they have enough, why would they need more? Only thing I couldn't wrap my head around was that they wanted me to donate $10.00 and in return they would give me a $10 gift card to Starbucks... OK, I'll just hang on to the $10 and save both ourselves the trouble of going through it.

But yeah I don't go to church no more because I'm always working and I don't want to be part of their Occult anymore.

Here is a quote from Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity; when many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion"

badass88gt
02-14-2012, 11:59 AM
We didn't decide anything really. She goes to church with the kids and the neighbors, I stay home and sleep in. She never has really asked me or been upset with me not going, she is fine with it. I did go with the family on Christmas, I will maybe go here and there but I won't be making it a regular thing and she is fine with that.