PDA

View Full Version : Car Warranty Question...

srt4eh
12-11-2011, 06:47 PM
So....we bought a 2006 Jeep GC SRT-8 with about 60k miles. For peace of mind we'd like to buy a powertrain warranty....anyone have experience with this and suggestions on where to look? I see a number of online quote sites but not sure how reliable those warranties are. Thanks

Dr.Buick
12-11-2011, 07:19 PM
you can go to anydeal and buy one! I called mopar gave me a life time on the challenger powertrain only

srt4eh
12-11-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm assuming you mean any dealer? I suppose I could do that...just figured it would be easier to do it from home since the closest Mopar dealer is like 40 minutes away with no traffic lol

Car Guy
12-11-2011, 07:49 PM
I remember talking to John (Johnny2K) about an aftermarket warranty company he dealt with when he worked at Uptown. He claimed this company is great to deal with and stand behinds the warranty. I know for a fact many aftermarket warranty companies are worthless, be careful.....

Waver
12-12-2011, 10:52 AM
JM&A is the only aftermarket one that is worth a shit

brotherbenn83
12-12-2011, 11:20 AM
We sell JM&A at Boucher, as techs we like it because they pay us CP repair times to fix cars instead of warranty time like GMPP does.

BoosTT
12-12-2011, 12:15 PM
I had an aftermarket warranty from Easycare. I got it free, because the person who owned the car before me bought the warranty. I guess the price of the warranty was $2000 for 3 more years/36k more miles.

Really more of a PITA then its worth. Virtually all of the repair shops wanted me to pay for the repairs and then I get reimbersed from the warranty company. This worked ok, I guess. Another weird thing was that the warranty didn't cover shop supply fess. My warranty had a $200 deductable. This put most of the repairs into a gray area as in: I could fix it myself for $150 for bring it in for $200.

It would be pretty easy to work the system on a aftermarket warranty tho. The warranty company never sees your car, so if you modifiy it (ie: too much boost) and something breaks your covered. I had an issue with my AWD system that was somewhat along these lines.

I guess when it's all said and done the warranty saved me $3500 ish. BUT if I didn't have a warranty these issues would not have been resolved and I would have drove the car as is. A major issue was the gas gauge read 1/2 full when it was empty (X miles to empty was still accurate)... this was about $1500 to have fixed. No way it would be fixed if I had to pay for it. Other issues where minor leaks, again, could have been left un-repaired.

Car Guy
12-12-2011, 01:31 PM
JM&A is the only aftermarket one that is worth a shit

We sell JM&A at Boucher, as techs we like it because they pay us CP repair times to fix cars instead of warranty time like GMPP does.

I remember JM&A from my days at Venus Ford, never heard of a problem with them......

brotherbenn83
12-13-2011, 01:21 PM
It would be pretty easy to work the system on a aftermarket warranty tho. The warranty company never sees your car, so if you modifiy it (ie: too much boost) and something breaks your covered.

Aftermarket warranty companies have adjusters just like insurance companies do, just for scammers like you ;-)

BoosTT
12-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Aftermarket warranty companies have adjusters just like insurance companies do, just for scammers like you ;-)

Yup, they sure do... but you can still easily pull it off.

Car Guy
12-13-2011, 04:46 PM
The majority of aftermarket companies are only concerned with part, labor, and according to them 'unnecessary' costs. This is assuming you are not making claims for the same issue over and over. They act just like insurance companies with an automotive collision repair claim and will beat you up on everything.....