PDA

View Full Version : CLEO approval being dropped.

SSDude
12-09-2011, 05:46 PM
News for all you gun nuts

CLEO Requirement to be Discontinued (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1262166_CLEO_Requirement_to_be_Discontinued__Has_a nyone_heard_about_this_.html&page=1&anc=bottom#bottom)

For enthusiasts of NFA-controlled firearms (e.g., machine guns, short barrel rifles and shotguns, suppressors), the requirement to get the local chief of police or sheriff's approval on the required Form 1 or Form 4 has been a problem. Started at the inception of the National Firearms Act, the idea was to get the person in front of the chief or sheriff - who was expected to know the "problem children" in his or her jurisdiction - to keep wackos from getting these special weapons. In the 30s through the 70s, that was potentially appropriate: there was no national computer database available at all hours to get criminal histories.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1262166_CLEO_Requirement_to_be_Discontinued__Has_a nyone_heard_about_this_.html&page=1&anc=bottom#bottom

Wagonbacker9
12-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Interesting. I have thought about building a 300 Blackout/Whisper, at which point this may be worth doing.

fivonut
12-09-2011, 10:42 PM
WI law still requires a letter of approval from your local CLEO for machine gun ownership. Will make life easier for SBR, SBS and Suppressor ownership!!

Mudd Runner
12-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Looks like I may finally make my short barrel coach gun

Crawlin
12-10-2011, 09:39 AM
still would rather do the trust way so I don't have to wait longer for the FBI database checkup. Seems that it cuts down about a month or two from the ar15 topics about it.

Mudd Runner
12-11-2011, 07:45 AM
Ive thought about doing the trust im just not sure how to go about it.

WI_Dave
12-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Ive thought about doing the trust im just not sure how to go about it.

x2

Crawlin
12-11-2011, 08:12 AM
I have an attorney that you can call and talk to about it, or email. It's not "my" attorney, just who I was recommended to talk to off of ar15.com in the Wisconsin section

The trusts are usually $600-700 if I remember right

Reverend Cooper
12-11-2011, 05:22 PM
you will not get away from a cleo signing and or fingerprinting as well

Russ Jerome
12-13-2011, 08:21 AM
I would love to legaly tincker with home made silencers, have made a few somewhat functional ones but always destroy them after testing just to be safe. I admit that now knowing I don't have anything laying around :) they can use silencers legaly in other countries to hunt, be nice for squirrel hunting.

TheRX7Project
12-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Been wanting to build my new AR into a suppressed SBR...

WI_Dave
12-17-2011, 09:27 PM
you will not get away from a cleo signing and or fingerprinting as well

Even with a trust? I thought that was the whole reason to use a trust.

Anyone know someone who got Clarke to sign one? Can you go over him to the DOJ?

Coops Brother
12-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Even with a trust? I thought that was the whole reason to use a trust.

Anyone know someone who got Clarke to sign one? Can you go over him to the DOJ?

A trust does not need CLEO sign off, just prints. Also, WI law requires Class 3 Dealers to have a one time CLEO, one letter of authorization, one time is all the dealer needs. (The WI law appies to machine guns only.) My understanding is in Milw. Co. the CLEO is not giving letter to the dealers for machine gun transfers, meaning Class 3 dealers in Milw. Co. can't even get a machine gun transfered to them without the CLEO letter.

I will believe they dropped the CLEO signature when they send me the updated forms....