PDA

View Full Version : Body Shop Recommendations?

Boostaddct
12-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Over the next few months I'm going to be looking into getting my daily driver and possibly project SC repainted....I've never had any bodywork or paint done professionally so I'm looking for input from BCM on some places to checkout. I'm just looking for a repaint...no color change or anything like that so I won't have to worry about jambs and everything. I've talked to 1 place in Milwaukee so far and to paint my Lexus GS400 factory blue he told me $5k....that seemed pretty high to me, but I guess I have nothing to compare it to. I've got the ability to do the prep(sand/mask/tape off) and get the dings repaired so I was hoping to find a body shop that would work with me and let me get it prepped and sanded and then they would take over and do the primer and base/clears.

Please give some names of places to checkout and if there is anyplace I should STAY AWAY from please let me know as well. Thanks!

DRK
12-03-2011, 03:34 PM
If you think $5k is out of line for a complete you may want to find someone who does it on the side. There's lots of labor and a ton of overhead in that business.

Boostaddct
12-03-2011, 03:53 PM
That's kind of what I figured....most guys say the most time consuming part is in prep and the spraying is the easy part....that's why I was looking to do the prep and then just trailer it to a shop with a booth and let them spray and finish it.

BlackLightning
12-03-2011, 05:51 PM
You could try Jim at authentic automotive. He does great work. http://authenticauto.com/

Irish
12-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Duffy @ Nagels. /thread

BR3W CITY
12-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Seems a lot of shops don't want to let you prep it yourself, because if they spray and anything doesn't go perfect, the customer has a tendency to blame the shop not themselves. Its easier to control the quality of the work leaving your shop, if you can account for all of the steps.

Car Guy
12-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Seems a lot of shops don't want to let you prep it yourself, because if they spray and anything doesn't go perfect, the customer has a tendency to blame the shop not themselves. Its easier to control the quality of the work leaving your shop, if you can account for all of the steps.

Damn we think alike, I was just about to post something nearly identical to this......

Boostaddct
12-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Yea I've had a few guys mention that as well....I'm not the kind of guy that is gonna be a prick about the finished results if it's something that can be attributed to poor prep. It will probably be best to find a guy who will do it on the side and has access to a spray booth.

SmokinRAM114
12-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Auto Body Care in New berlin.

BR3W CITY
12-04-2011, 02:00 PM
What about USpray, just paint the damn thing yourself.

FoxStang
12-04-2011, 08:13 PM
$5k for the whole car with materials and prep included on a GS? That sounds very reasonable, especially if its a shop that's known for good work and is reputable enough to stand behind it, though that should probably include the jambs as well.

As with most things, you get what you pay for.

Boostaddct
12-05-2011, 10:59 AM
What about USpray, just paint the damn thing yourself.

I've never sprayed a car before so I was a little nervous about that...I have a nice Devilbiss primer gun and I've done prep and primer before, but never sprayed anything. That might be what I end up doing though if I can't find a cheaper place to paint it....It just seems crazy to spend $5k on a daily driver car that will only be worth 5-8K in a year or two.

$5k for the whole car with materials and prep included on a GS? That sounds very reasonable, especially if its a shop that's known for good work and is reputable enough to stand behind it, though that should probably include the jambs as well.

As with most things, you get what you pay for.

I wouldn't mind $5k for a perfect job or a color change, but a respray job that doesn't have to be perfect isn't worth the 5K....I'll do some shopping around and hopefully find a good option.

BoosTT
12-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Why would you repaint a DD? Sell it and buy a different one.

Boostaddct
12-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Because I love the car as a daily....it's paid off and reliable...just want it to look new again plus I have a new front lip, grill, and rear lip that need to get painted and don't want there to be a color difference.

DRK
12-05-2011, 12:46 PM
I've never sprayed a car before.

...... a respray job that doesn't have to be perfect isn't worth the 5K..

The first sentence is why you believe the second

macco will shoot it for $1300 if it doesn't have to be "perfect" :)

Boostaddct
12-05-2011, 01:24 PM
The first sentence is why you believe the second

macco will shoot it for $1300 if it doesn't have to be "perfect" :)

Then maybe Maaco it will be....the $5k job wasn't a respray...it was full job with them doing all bodywork, priming, removing of all trim and bumpers, etc....I'm just looking for respray after bodywork is done...I looked into supplies and for PPG paint, primer, clear, reducer, and "most" supplies needed I was looking at $500...I was just hoping by posting on here I'd either find a body shop or maybe member who was looking for a side job....if I had a booth to use I'd definitely be more likely to try it...but unfortunately I don't...I'll have to check USpray though.

DRK
12-05-2011, 02:07 PM
I looked into supplies and for PPG paint, primer, clear, reducer, and "most" supplies needed I was looking at $500....

I have done this a time or two before and I think you've been misinformed. You may be able to get everything you need in OMNI for $500, but a 1/2 gallon of Color and Clear RTS alone will be around $500 using PPG global and about 20% more using Concept.