PDA

View Full Version : *** Road Salt Report ***

Car Guy
12-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Until now the weather has been great, relatively speaking. I believe this is one of the nicest fall seasons in a very long time. However we all know the 'white stuff' is coming and I'm not referring to snow. I am referring to the ridiculous amount of road salt used in our area. This thread is meant to alert everybody of any road salt usage in our area. Usually the first roads to see salt are interstates and second main state roads. I travel from Brookfield to the airport area on a daily basis and will update this thread if I see anything. Feel free to post up likewise.....:thumbsup

animal
12-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Heh, i saw plenty of salt down already in all different places...

michelle
12-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Yep, had salt here back in early November after a morning of this:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/302612_763863571318_219700023_36832117_1870242066_ n.jpg

Russ Jerome
12-02-2011, 11:22 AM
94/43 southbound over the bridge, clouds of salt thats drying and airborn this afternoon, looked like a rainstorm at 10:30 this morning.

WickedSix
12-02-2011, 11:43 AM
41 from g-town to oshkosh....salted

-stew-
12-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Who gives a shit? Its winter. They salt the roads. If you're gonna be prissy and cry if your car gets salt on it, PUT IT AWAY FOR THE WINTER. In two weeks all the roads are gonna be salted, so who gives a shit? /rant

WickedSix
12-02-2011, 12:27 PM
I give about 4 shits a day.... I heard thats pretty normal

BR3W CITY
12-02-2011, 01:06 PM
I still don't get the salt thing tho.
Example; I've been to CO about 6 times, and I'm going again next week. They only use sand, and their snow is 200% what ours ever is. Sure, the sand still has an abrasive effect on un sealed bearings etc, but it seems that the overall effect is less than that of salt. Even if its only your daily driver, no one WANTS to have damage done to their car. I wouldn't drive my 66 in the bad shit, but I'm not excited to get salt on ANY vehicle I have. Besides, I'm tired of having to worry about aluminum wheels corroding.

Car Guy
12-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Thank you for the information Russ and WickedSix, much appreciated. I am still driving the summer car due to my current situation but will put it away when heavy amounts salt hits the roads everywhere. I would have my car stored already but the inconvenience of watching for salted roads outweighs the alternative at the moment.....

Who gives a shit? Its winter. They salt the roads. If you're gonna be prissy and cry if your car gets salt on it, PUT IT AWAY FOR THE WINTER. In two weeks all the roads are gonna be salted, so who gives a shit? /rant

Well fucking excuse me for trying to get a heads up out to people WHO ARE STILL DRIVING THEIR SUMMER CARS, like myself. What was I thinking posting an absolutely stupid waste of time thread like this? I do not follow the vast majority of bullshit on this forum but now see why many people think you are an asshole. I sincerely pity you and your negative outlook on life. Do yourself a favor and refrain from spreading negativity onto other people, your life will be better off as a result.....:thumbsup

P.S. Don't bother replying to me this thread or sending me a PM. I will no longer see your posts (ignored) and will delete any PMs from you without reading them. Thanks for putting me in a shitty mood all of sudden, have a wonderful day!!! :)

Car Guy
12-02-2011, 01:26 PM
I still don't get the salt thing tho.
Example; I've been to CO about 6 times, and I'm going again next week. They only use sand, and their snow is 200% what ours ever is. Sure, the sand still has an abrasive effect on un sealed bearings etc, but it seems that the overall effect is less than that of salt. Even if its only your daily driver, no one WANTS to have damage done to their car. I wouldn't drive my 66 in the bad shit, but I'm not excited to get salt on ANY vehicle I have. Besides, I'm tired of having to worry about aluminum wheels corroding.

The difference between CO and WI is the snow in CO melts after a few days and in WI snow stays on the ground for weeks at a time. I moved my cousin to Denver, CO from Phoenix, AZ mid-January of last year and learned the difference within an hour of arriving in CO. We drove straight to an apartment complex my cousin was considering and the lady who assisted us made a comment before walking to the unit. She warned us to be careful of slipping on the ice/snow packed ground and said "we got 1-2' feet of snow almost three weeks ago and the temperature has not been above freezing since". Not knowing at the time the difference between CO and WI winters I was confused as to why that was worth mentioning. My cousin has been there almost two years and said a foot of snow will fall one day and be completely melted within a few almost all winter long......

DRK
12-02-2011, 02:31 PM
The difference between CO and WI is.

Some politician, the head of DOT, etc., has brother or cousin that's selling the salt to the state or they are getting a kick back somewhere. Salt and especially the brine solution is worthless below 15* which is half of Dec.,all of Jan., and half of Feb., which is when they dump moutains of that shit.

The roads are white here

Car Guy
12-02-2011, 02:48 PM
I know for a fact politics is also a reason but the climate is too. The same thing would happen in CO if the climate 'allowed'.....

GTSLOW
12-03-2011, 02:00 AM

:rolf seriously this thread made me lol

Reverend Cooper
12-03-2011, 06:55 AM
that post about an post in a thread you called a thread but is a post,made me lol

GTSLOW
12-03-2011, 10:23 AM
that post about an post in a thread you called a thread but is a post,made me lol

:rolf your failure to understand English makes me laugh. I was simply agreeing with stew saying this thread was silly thus the quote.

Coop get back to your recall walker petitions. :goof

Reverend Cooper
12-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Least i didnt get beat by a 4 cylinder or shall we say graped.

Car Guy
12-03-2011, 11:52 AM
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=383&d=1214037416

All this rain should wash any salt off the roads assuming more salt is not laid down if/when the temp drops before the rains stops. After this system passes the weather looks all clear but cold until next weekend when a chance of snow if forecasted.....

jbiscuit
12-03-2011, 03:37 PM
No salt down here in Mt Pleasant! I intend to drive my car yet again tomorrow :)

GTSLOW
12-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Least i didnt get beat by a 4 cylinder or shall we say graped.

:rolf I'm sure that's what exactly happened. One sided stories are just that one sided.

Reverend Cooper
12-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Yeah thats why I will let the video do the talking

CATNHAT
12-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Yeah thats why I will let the video do the talking

Lets see the video!

Reverend Cooper
12-03-2011, 08:52 PM
its up

Car Guy
12-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Back on topic we are.....

Can anybody believe how nice this weather has been? OK I know temps this cold are not technically 'nice' but two years ago we had 20" of snow by now AND temps this cold. More unbelievable is there is no snow forecasted for the next ten days, crazy stuff in my opinion......

73MACH
12-11-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm taking my car out to do some errands today because it's so nice out!

jbiscuit
12-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Lots of cars out today!! Saw a super nice 70 Chevelle at the gas station and a 32 ford roadster on highway 20. Then saw a super nice mid-30s ford pickup and a 69 Roadrunner!

PureSound15
12-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Takin mine out for a bit today.

Love being able to store it at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbiscuit
12-11-2011, 03:38 PM
^ Same here!!! 44 degrees down here today and was great driving it around. This week looks promising also. Might have to take it to work even. Its a bitch warming up dual quads though without a choke in this weather lol

Ricky Bobby
12-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Hear ya on that j mine was a bitch today till it started pissing fuel then I stripped the fuel bowl FUCK

Car Guy
12-17-2011, 08:18 AM

jbiscuit
12-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Salted the roads early this morning down here so mine is done for the season now. Time to tear into it to make ready for spring!

Car Guy
12-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Yup the salty balls were everywhere today.....

feltes94
01-16-2012, 02:55 PM
i heard they are putting those stupid liquid salt stuff and it eats brake lines and stuff like crazy

-stew-
01-16-2012, 03:14 PM
i heard they are putting those stupid liquid salt stuff and it eats brake lines and stuff like crazy

Calcium Chloride. 1/4 cup of it will ruin a boot in 24 hours. Feels awesome on the skin and down right amazing in the mouth, eyes, nose, and ears.

Wagonbacker9
01-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Calcium Chloride. 1/4 cup of it will ruin a boot in 24 hours. Feels awesome on the skin and down right amazing in the mouth, eyes, nose, and ears.

I think this is why they put it on roads, not people.

My car was still out 2 weeks ago, running errands for a transfer case swap in my buddy's truck. Last weekend I got my truck back up and running. Thanks to yoosef, it still looks sparkley and shiney (under the cover).

-stew-
01-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Seen a lambo in Chicago tonight.

AQggo3AfP30