PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Rings

BoosTT
11-30-2011, 06:34 PM
I popped the question about 5 weeks ago without a ring. I've gotten her a ring in the past and it was a nightmare, because her finger is a very small size 3. Rings can't really be resized this small, because they end up oval or the stones fall out. Anyway, she said yes and now we have the same issue again. So, what better place to ask for jewelry advise then a car fourm, lol.

We went to a few local jewelry stores. None of them were very helpful, since anything would need to be custom made or special ordered. We figure, if it's got to be special ordered why don't we just order it online and save. We wouldn't get to see the ring in advance either way and both offer return policys. Online sites like bluenile.com include certifications and have thousands of positive reviews.. Has anyone ordered any online jewelry stores?

And the last thought is getting a lab-made synthetic diamond. I'm leaning against this, but she is embrasing the idea. Mostly because she would just get a bigger ring (ie: not me saving any money). Has anyone seen these in person?

michelle
11-30-2011, 06:38 PM
One of my co-workers has one of those synthetic diamonds. It's absolutely huge - definitely in the too huge category, but I guess when it is your second marriage for both, go big and make a point of it. I'm certainly not a diamond expert, but I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference until she told me what it would have cost if it were real.

Congratulations on the engagement, by the way!

GOOD LS1
11-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Koehn and Koehn in West Bend. Stop in and ask for Jake.

Korndogg
11-30-2011, 06:45 PM
My wife's cousin works at Prokop Jewelers at Southridge. She may be able to help you out? They are super nice there and the won't just tell you what you want to hear. If you want more info PM me.

Crawlin
11-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Ask for Heidi at the Kay's in Brookfield Square(what used to be Ostermann's). That's where I got my fiance's ring. She is Tony's (Junk, Junky Giorgio) from this forum's Mom. Very nice and very helpful. Liz has normal size fingers, but somehow the band got ovaled out and they fixed it free of charge, and this is not 5-6 months after purchase. It was not one that they had "on the showroom floor", as I got to pick a setting from one of their people and then match it with the exact diamond I wanted(don't like the standard low-end cut/clarity/etc.. that most chains carry)

She was VERY helpful and even worked with me after my first choice I had buyer's regret and came back and changed it all up to a different style

BAD LS1
11-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Koehn and Koehn in West Bend. Stop in and ask for Jake.

+ 1 for this! Jake is amazing to work with as he super particular but will put in the work to find you the best deal on what you are looking for. He's super easy to work with and is great at anticipating and locating what you might be looking for. Best of all he is a car guy too!

They can also do rapid prototyping of custom rings too if that's your choice as well.

Korndogg
11-30-2011, 07:27 PM
I had to send my wife's ring back 3 times because Kay's couldn't get the enhancer to fit on both sides of the ring properly without it being off center even though this one was made for her ring to begin with. Two of the times it didn't look like they even did anything. I won't be going back to Kay's thats for sure.

I know it's different if you know someone but I just thought that was pretty shitty that I had to send it in 3 times at 2 weeks a crack. Twice were before the wedding and then we had to just deal with it until after the wedding and they finally got it right.

0TransAm0
11-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Go to harry glinberge from glinberge jewelry its on the 3rd floor of the wells Fargo building across the street from mayfair mall. I got a platinum ring with a 1 carrot diamond in the middle and 1 .65 carrot on each side for 2k... They can custome make anything and is good to deal with...he has a wall of pics of all the sports people that he made stuff for. And has been in ESPN magazine for his jewelry that he made...

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

PureSound15
12-01-2011, 01:02 AM
^+1 for Harry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

animal
12-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Mostly because she would just get a bigger ring (ie: not me saving any money).

With size 3 fingers, a grain of sand would look big :goof

Haha j/k. Good luck with the find.

WickedSix
12-01-2011, 08:35 AM
My wife's engagement ring was custom made at Tobin's in new berlin (deal with the father, the son just gave me a bad vibe) for the wedding band (she has two...its a symmetry thing) we shopped around to find a design she liked..then went online and found the same diamond bands for a better deal.... wound up finding them on Overstock.com for 1/4 of mall store price, same material total carat clarity etc.... my experience online was good...my experience making a custom ring at tobin was also very good. Do your homework....the diamond trade is one of the biggest scams out there and you will get taken if your BS dectector isn't tuned up and ready to go

Waver
12-01-2011, 11:50 AM
First off Congratulations! I got the setting done for my Fiancee's ring at Sharbuno Jewelers in Port Washington. They took the time to make sure it fit her perfectly, go over the different styles, took extra care in setting the Diamond (it has been in my family for over 120 years) and even appraised it for insurance reasons. Really great people to work with. They were recommended to me by Eric (xtremeteam). I am very happy with their work and will be going back there for the wedding band.

I wouldnt mess around with a ring from Ebay as you really dont know what you are getting, and you dont have a place to take it back to if there is something wrong with it.

1320PNY
12-03-2011, 07:05 PM
#1 - Go through a trusted jeweler, not the internet. Reason...you can inspect and verify the ring IS what you want before it becomes yours. Any reputable jeweler is not going to ask for more than 20-30% down on something they can resell (stones in your case). The ring obviously is "custom" and probably hit you for at least half before they bring it in.

#2 - I tend to stay out of the mall kiosks. I also tend to travel to smaller markets. I bought most of my stuff in Manitowoc and I have built a good relationship with "my jeweler". I suggest you find a jeweler you can use continously.

Ironically you came to a car forum for jewelry, but it's just like your car. The more mechanics and eBay deals you factor in the more expensive and frustrated your project becomes on a whole. Just find ONE jeweler that you like and work with them for ALL your needs. You will get better service and ultimately will be your best bet.

Gregor
12-14-2011, 10:00 PM
My wife is a A Class goldsmith and has built a ton of rings some from gold stock and some by parts that the customer has brought in. And in the end has never had any bad feed back.

Remember, you buy cheap and you get cheap.

Shameless plug..... Yeah she works at Jareds

Car Guy
12-15-2011, 03:54 AM
Oooooohhh, she works at Jared's......

wrath
12-15-2011, 05:32 AM
You can buy diamonds off Amazon and have a jeweler assemble them in a catalog band or build you a custom one. Precious metal and diamonds have a fixed price. Everything else is labor. What you get off Amazon is going to be great compared to what you see in stores in the <$6,000 range.

They're not a real jeweler if they have to "send it out". A good way to tell if they're a fly-by-night operation if they have to "send it out" to get it appraised.

A synthetic diamond looks fine (I can't tell) as well as sapphires and rubys (same mineral, different impurities). Any of the fake diamonds pretty much stick out like a sore thumb.

Buy nice stones, you can always have them plucked out of the band and put in a new ring. My wife's ring has a sizeable center sapphire from Sri Lanka her now dead step-grandfather cut. The band is worth maybe $200 is scrap gold but the stone is worth a new compact car. When she gets tired of the band we'll get the stones re-set.

nismodave
12-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Go see Bill Nordstrom at Norndstrom Jewlery in the Falls....Not a huge place, but has great diamonds and great prices.

BoosTT
12-31-2011, 09:01 PM
Update:

I bought the ring from bluenile.com. Everything went great! She got an awesome ring and I didn't pay too much. Theres no way I could have gotten the same ring locally for anywhere near the price I paid. Apprased value is nearly double what I paid. The band has 68 diamonds and it would have cost a mint in labor to build locally. Their diamond selection is great too... way easier to find a good diamond when they have 10,000+ to choose from. I would highly recommend bluenile.com. I guess the 3000 google reviews for bluenile are correct.

Ofcourse she has shown everyone the ring for xmas and I have not yet seen a nicer ring or a better diamond on other family members or friends fingers, seriously!

Crawlin
12-31-2011, 11:00 PM
Nice man! Congrats! It definitely did help with the shopping being able to see their prices for various things

Wagonbacker9
01-01-2012, 12:48 AM
Ofcourse she has shown everyone the ring for xmas and I have not yet seen a nicer ring or a better diamond on other family members or friends fingers, seriously!

That is well worth whatever you paid. lol. I got her ring for a steal (about 1/5 of appraised) and I've yet to have it outshined by anyone but her mom, who married a foot and ankle surgeon. lol

*SNOOP*
01-01-2012, 04:38 PM
I know im posting after the fact but, Gino at Paks jewlers. We sat down and designed my wife's ring from scratch.... Outstanding!!!