PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare on the new interchange last night. (semi dropped load)

GTSLOW
11-28-2011, 10:34 AM
So I’m driving back to Madison last night and I'm going through that new tunnel by the airport and run this giant steel ring over which is covering 65% of the lane. There was no way to avoid it since there was cars in the left lane so I immediately pull over and what do I see 3 other cars with a sheriff. So I get out and sprint to the sheriffs car to tell him the shit is still in the road can you please get someone out there to clear it. Head back to my car to assess damage and 2 more cars go by with both right tires and wheels completely destroyed.

Turns out a semi had lost part of his load going around the curve and just kept going only to be pulled over just by the Loomis off ramp. I was probably the luckiest one out of the 7+ cars out there. My front wheel is completely destroyed along with the front tire and the back tire has a huge gash. The other cars were not so lucky having both wheels and tires completely destroyed. It seemed that only large wheels/thin side walled tires were affected. There was a brand new Acura TLS that’s wheels were just completely fucking destroyed shit was wack. I woulda took pics but of course my battery was dead on my phone.

I have the trucking company’s information/trucks plate/etc. but the sheriff said till wait till the AM because the driver is going to do one large claim for everybody with the insurance. I also exchanged information with some of the other drivers just in case. Anyone ever dealt with anything like this?

Oh and it turned out to be these machined steel O's that were probably 3-4" thick (if not more) and probably 4' in radius with a cut out in the center.

Sorry for bad grammar I'm working on a few hours of sleep

http://county.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/Groups/cntySheriff/sheriffnews/112711Semilosessteelrollsintra.pdf

Semi Loses Steel Rolls in Mitchell Interchange
Milwaukee, WI – A semi traveling on the south to west ramp in the Mitchell Interchange at about 8:15 p.m. lost several steel rolls, each weighing 1,000 pounds, from its cargo.
A sheriff’s deputy stopped to assist a disabled vehicle and the driver indicated road debris caused his tire damage. A second vehicle stopped to report similar damage. Deputies located two rolls of steel, each weighing approximately 1000 pounds, 3 ½ feet wide and four inches thick, in a lane of traffic and closed down the lane until the rolls could be removed. Five cars sustained tire and rim damage from going over the debris. A tow truck removed the steel rolls out of traffic, along with a third roll found in the median distress lane. The lane was closed for about 35 minutes.
The operator of the semi was located by a deputy, and cited for Failure to Secure Load, Spilling Load on Freeway, and Improper Tie-Downs.

WhatsADSM
11-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Holy shit that SUCKS! I've very interested to see how this gets settled.

WickedSix
11-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Contact your insurance company, give them the info, they should go after it for you ..... there is a name for it but it escapes me at the moment....

pnad
11-30-2011, 03:38 PM
You should have no issues getting paid. I once hit a huge piece of retread off an gas tanker and made out pretty well on the repairs

GTSLOW
11-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Still waiting for the milwaukee county sherriffs report to post..............

GTSLOW
12-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Sheriff report added to first post.

brotherbenn83
12-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Wow! That IS bad grammar!

GTSLOW
12-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Holy shit that SUCKS! I've very interested to see how this gets settled.

Everything was settled today. $1289 - 2 Tires, 1 Wheel, Bumper Cover, Emblem, Paint, & Labor. Car goes in on Tuesday! :D

Wow! That IS bad grammar!

:rolleyes:

BoosTT
12-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Doesen't sound like much $$ to me. Have the insurance pay for a rental car too.

GTSLOW
12-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Doesen't sound like much $$ to me. Have the insurance pay for a rental car too.

That's what I get for having shitty tires :punch:

GTSLOW
12-16-2011, 01:32 AM
Well the cars back and looks great! No more holes in the front bumper! They matched the CGM color perfect as well. Oh and no cost obviously the trucking insurance paid for everything.

Prolly gonna take it back there before I leave to get the trunk holes filled.