PDA

View Full Version : Food pantry volunteering

CATNHAT
11-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Did my first food pantry volunteering today at 8th n Wisconsin. The wife and my 4 kids all went and all worked hard. Each had a specific task. I was in the kitchen doing dishes, cleaning, prep, garbage, etc. Wife was serving milk and coffee, oldest son was serving food and cleaning (hes 10) and my 6 year old was buttering bread and serving food, etc.

I have donated money, food, st.vincent depaul every other week, but nothing compared to this. Meeting people first hand makes a big difference and if anyone here has some spare time i highly recomend it.

Sometimes we forget how good we have it when we talk about our cars and such and our neighbors dont have food.

Step up if you can.

God Bless

SSDude
11-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Props to you for volunteering your time!

michelle
11-27-2011, 08:04 AM
Very nice of you to volunteer!

DirtyMax
11-27-2011, 08:32 AM
This is a great post. I had a similar Facebook reflection about a week ago along the exact same lines. I agree that it feels way more genuine than just making a donation of money.

lordairgtar
11-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Awesome you did this. When I lived in California, people with no food would come to our live in drug rehab center and ask to eat. We never turned anyone away.

CATNHAT
11-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Yeah it was a pretty good turnout, I estimate around 200 people. The food serving was from 11:30-12:30 and one gentleman showed up at around 1:15 after all the food was put away and the place was cleaned up. But 1 of the guys who works there and I opened the fridge, got out some food warmed it up and treated him to a nice warm meal and coffee.

That was a pretty good day.

Definitley will be doing more of this in the future.

88Nightmare
11-29-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm not familiar with what is in that area. What's the name of the facility you volunteered at?

michelle
11-29-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm not familiar with what is in that area. What's the name of the facility you volunteered at?

x2

I don't have much family around for Christmas Day, so I am interested in doing something like this as well.

CATNHAT
11-29-2011, 05:02 PM

"The Gathering" at 8th and wisconsin. Behind the st james church, in the basement.