PDA

View Full Version : Winter tires.

HY35F2T
11-22-2011, 10:50 AM
I mentioned firestone winterforce tires for the girl friends car,its a grandam.But im not sure if its actually needed around here?For some reason i dont recall there being snow on the ground all the time in waukesha.Obviously when it first falls but i wanna say 5hrs after its pretty cleaned up.Also has anyone driven with winterforce tires on a sedan car?196/65/15 is the size that would be going on her car.

03CVLX
11-22-2011, 11:02 AM
I run 4 snow tires on my Crown Vic all winter. It is a major improvement in the cold months in my opinion. Granted I have Rear wheel drive, but they are a amazing in snow. I wouldn't drive without them. I have Nokian Hakkapelitta RSIs now, but my next set will be Winterforces. I have heard lots of good about them.

Prince Valiant
11-22-2011, 11:50 AM
I mentioned firestone winterforce tires for the girl friends car,its a grandam.But im not sure if its actually needed around here?For some reason i dont recall there being snow on the ground all the time in waukesha.Obviously when it first falls but i wanna say 5hrs after its pretty cleaned up.Also has anyone driven with winterforce tires on a sedan car?196/65/15 is the size that would be going on her car.I had them for both my grand cherokee and my honda insight.

Basically got them for the GC since they were so inexpensive. The insight got 'em because I felt they needed them.

Here's the thing...yep, even with bad storms, pretty much within a day the roads are usually clear, though side roads might take longer. But, it's not like it always snows when it's convenient to wait for the roads to clear. Can't tell you the number of times I've gone into work and had to drive back in significant snow...or, I simply had to go to work despite inclement weather.

With the insight it made a car that had no business being in the snow into a virtual snowmobile. I could stop MUCH better, turn much better, drive with far more stability even in the rut/furrows of heavy wet snow without upsetting the balance of the car too much. To say night and day difference wouldn't do it justice the difference snow tires made.

DurtyKurty
11-22-2011, 12:15 PM
With the insight it made a car that had no business being in the snow into a virtual snowmobile. I could stop MUCH better, turn much better, drive with far more stability even in the rut/furrows of heavy wet snow without upsetting the balance of the car too much. To say night and day difference wouldn't do it justice the difference snow tires made.

^^ x2

I have them on my Ranger and Vic. The fact that they are so inexpensive makes it a no brainer. Amazingly good in snow.

JC70SS
11-22-2011, 01:32 PM
I have them on my TL. I push the car as hard as possible in snow and can't seem to get myself into trouble. I wouldn't dare do it with regular all-seasons.

HY35F2T
11-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Found them on tirerack for that size for $280bucks for all 4.Think im more excited then her as ive always had just all seasons.

Wagonbacker9
11-22-2011, 03:16 PM
You will be amazed by the difference. I'll never run all season tires on a car.

VroomPshhTsi
11-22-2011, 05:23 PM
This is my first winter with winter tires. Will wait and see how they do (Blizzak WS70).

BadAzzGTA89
11-22-2011, 05:54 PM
This will be my first winter with snow tires on the Buick they are also winterforce!!!

HY35F2T
11-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Im just waiting for it to really get cold out.Anyone put theres on yet?Weather is suppose to be really nice out this holiday week too grrr.

Car Guy
11-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Winterforce are not like Blizzaks or similar. You can use them in warmer weather and not significantly affect tread life. This is another reason why I am a huge fan of Winterforce tires.....

HY35F2T
11-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Winterforce are not like Blizzaks or similar. You can use them in warmer weather and not significantly affect tread life. This is another reason why I am a huge fan of Winterforce tires.....

Thats one thing i was worried about because we all know how one day it can be 6inches of snow out then a week later 40* and sun.whats the average life span of these tires?

Car Guy
11-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Hard to say exactly but I have seen them go 50k+ if everything on the vehicle is 'right'. However, they lose significant effectiveness driving in winter weather with about 1/3 tread remaining.....

HY35F2T
11-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Id just like to get 2 winters out of them.Not to mention she maybe puts 30k miles on in a year max and thats driving to crivitz 3 -4 times a year.so figure 6k miles tops in winter.So yeah i guess they should last gonna order them this weekend and get an alignment done too just did ball joints so should be all set to get.Either way these will be better then the bf goodrich t/a something, that farm n bard sold her they were horrible in the snow.

WickedSix
11-23-2011, 07:37 AM

This.... I ran them on my s10 that MoparJim nows owns for several winters....put them on end of september through may... the set I had were used when I got them and I put another 40k on them and they were still usable when Jim bought the truck. Definitely a tire I would purchase again.

WI_Dave
11-23-2011, 08:04 AM
This will be my first winter with snow tires on the Buick they are also winterforce!!!

My gs is like night and day with winter tires and without in the snow. I will be putting mine on next week sometime.

Prince Valiant
11-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Id just like to get 2 winters out of them.Not to mention she maybe puts 30k miles on in a year max and thats driving to crivitz 3 -4 times a year.so figure 6k miles tops in winter.So yeah i guess they should last gonna order them this weekend and get an alignment done too just did ball joints so should be all set to get.Either way these will be better then the bf goodrich t/a something, that farm n bard sold her they were horrible in the snow.The GC was the first and second winter drags champion w/ 2 year old winterforces that had gone through a summer and a half of wear...2 winters won't be a problem.