PDA

View Full Version : Ford Fusion Thoughts?

jamest
11-20-2011, 08:13 PM
I am in the market for a newer mid-size sedan. I will be test driving one tomorrow but was wondering if anyone has/had owned one. Any input would be appreciated.

Slow5oh
11-20-2011, 08:21 PM
they can take a beating thats for sure, do some nasty burn outs too, but as for regular driving not much input from me lol

SSDude
11-20-2011, 08:35 PM
We had an 07 and now a 2010. Both with the 4 cylinder manual trans. Great power for a sedan. Good balanced handling car. 33mpg @70mph all day

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

awsomeears
11-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Awesome all around car !!!

Drove my bosses a few times...

88Nightmare
11-20-2011, 09:02 PM
my friend has a 2011 fusion s with the 4 cyl and manual transmission. First year he is already at 22k miles, runnin good for him

I've driven it a few times and it drives nice, but I don't like the radio/hvac controls. The hvac controls are low on the center stack and angled downwards... definitely do not like.

BAD LS1
11-20-2011, 09:53 PM
^^^ not to mention the 8 million buttons on that center stack, trying to I.d. them from the radio functions are tough w/o taking eyes off the road. I had a new one as a rental, thought it was a decent car otherwise (4cyl,6 speed auto) looks nice, felt as good as a GM product to me.

BR3W CITY
11-20-2011, 11:52 PM
my fmr boss had one as his company car. Rode pretty nicely, was quiet, and had a pretty legit amount of power. I was actually fairly impressed with it, for what the company leased it for.

DynoTom
11-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Swags 63 has one and I know he REALLY likes the car ! I almost bought one too and in my research on them found they were rated very good cars...

spooln30
11-21-2011, 01:30 AM
felt as good as a GM product to me.

LOL Thats not saying a lot.

Overall they are ok. I had 4 that came in the shop I used to work at. 3 were 6 cyl and the other was a 4 cyl. They have the typical premature front end link replacement. I did notice that two of the 6 cylinders had rear main oil leaks. They both had under 30k. Actually I've seen that pretty often on Fords 6 cyl engines.
I personally would never buy one but if I by chance won one I would probably drive it for a little while.

noeggs4u
11-21-2011, 07:46 AM
I have 2012 4 cylinder and love the car. Nice ride and power is not bad.

Waver
11-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Good car, reliable, comfortable. Great ratings. Other cars you might want to look at that are on the same line are the Mercury Milan and the Lincoln MKZ......

FoxStang
11-21-2011, 02:21 PM
LOL Thats not saying a lot.

Overall they are ok. I had 4 that came in the shop I used to work at. 3 were 6 cyl and the other was a 4 cyl. They have the typical premature front end link replacement. I did notice that two of the 6 cylinders had rear main oil leaks. They both had under 30k. Actually I've seen that pretty often on Fords 6 cyl engines.
I personally would never buy one but if I by chance won one I would probably drive it for a little while.

C'mon now, you've been on these boards long enough to realize that GM is the pinnacle of design and quality.

Back to the main topic:
The few people I know that own them love them, great daily driver with pretty good gas mileage. I have really yet to hear anything bad about them.

88Nightmare
11-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Good car, reliable, comfortable. Great ratings. Other cars you might want to look at that are on the same line are the Mercury Milan and the Lincoln MKZ......

Instead of an MKZ why not just buy a Fusion SEL for what, 6 grand less? Same engine, same transmission, different sheet metal and badges.

jakedrew
11-21-2011, 03:42 PM
mother in law has a 07 with 40k on it. Not one issue ( wish I could say that about my 04 v8 explorer).

It sucks in the snow. New tires are going to cost her as much as my explorer tires. lol

Overall I think it is a great car. Smooth riding.

Good luck

DirtyMax
11-21-2011, 04:07 PM
My wife had an 06 and loved it. 50K trouble-free miles and all I ever did was oil changes and fuel-ups. Great MPG, handled well, and was comfortable ride. A very practical car! We sold it because we wanted to get her into an SUV.

xxtremeteam
11-21-2011, 04:18 PM
07 fusion se sport 4cyl,5spd great car like all have said 80,000 miles and just oil changes, one set of tires and rear brakes all around great car, only issue I have is my 6 disc cd player has 2 cds stuck in it and wont eject or take new ones or play whats stuck but I have the ipod hook up and use that

Waver
11-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Instead of an MKZ why not just buy a Fusion SEL for what, 6 grand less? Same engine, same transmission, different sheet metal and badges.Mike, with all due respect, I believe you have the Z confused with the Milan. For starters, the Z comes with a 3.5L v6 vs the 3.0 that is in the Fusion. The MKZ also comes with heated and cooled seats standard, better looking alloy wheels standard, and the list goes on. The price difference is about 3k different in the used market. The MKZ does also have a better resale value. If you want to get a Lincoln but want to spend a Fusion price, look at the 06 Zephyr.

88Nightmare
11-21-2011, 09:55 PM
It's more than 3k. A friend of mine picked up. 2010 mkz used with 24k miles for about 25k out the door.

Later that day, I found a 2010 fusion sel with 18k miles for $18,900 at a local dealer. So if the difference is .5 more liters, ventilated seats, and different wheels, I think I'd keep the extra 7k. You're getting a better resale value because you paid more for the thing in the first place lol

Prince Valiant
11-21-2011, 10:00 PM
You're getting a better resale value because you paid more for the thing in the first place lolMore accurately, there aren't a bajillion MKZ's in the rental car fleet that distort the supply of the car in the used car market either.

Resale value has more to do with how many are sold to rental car vendors than anything else imo.

Slow Joe
11-21-2011, 10:03 PM
I had a '06 Fusion SEL 4-Cylinder Automatic, I loved it. Great car... Unfortunately it was a little too big of a car for my wife so we traded it in. Put 25k on it with no problems. Currently have a '11 Fusion V6 SEL AWD for my company car. Excellent Car! Lots of power. Haven't had a single issue in the last 14k miles. I've actually contemplated more than once trading my 9-5 in for one. And I really like my 9-5 so that says a lot! They're solid cars, comfortable, and well built. Even on a long trip it's still a good ride.

88Nightmare
11-21-2011, 10:09 PM
More accurately, there aren't a bajillion MKZ's in the rental car fleet that distort the supply of the car in the used car market either.

Resale value has more to do with how many are sold to rental car vendors than anything else imo.

That still doesn't justify the price difference over a fusion. A lot more cash for not much in terms of car.

88Nightmare
11-21-2011, 10:23 PM
case in point:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=310233301&dealer_id=67771&car_year=2010&systime=&doors=&model=FUSION&search_lang=en&start_year=2010&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=certified&distance=100&min_price=&rdm=1321935166281&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=2006&end_year=2012&make3=&showZipError=y&make2=LINC&certified=y&engine=6+Cylinder&dma=MILWAUKEE&feature7=leather+seats&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=53154&sort_type=priceDESC&model2=MKZ&max_price=&make=FORD&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=87&standard=false

2010 MKZ 14,590 miles for $30,995

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=309411491&dealer_id=1032922&car_year=2011&systime=&doors=&model=FUSION&search_lang=en&start_year=2010&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=certified&distance=100&min_price=&rdm=1321935166281&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=2006&end_year=2012&make3=&showZipError=y&make2=LINC&certified=y&engine=6+Cylinder&dma=MILWAUKEE&feature7=leather+seats&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=53154&sort_type=priceDESC&model2=MKZ&max_price=&make=FORD&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=41&standard=false

2010 Fusion Sport 6,398 miles for $24,138

Similar features, the fusion even has sync. Hell, the aside from the seat color, the seats even look very similar (similar stitching). Fusion has half the mileage.

My mistake on the engine though, the SEL can be 2.5 4cyl or 3.0 V6. The sport is the 3.5.

So again, steep difference for a cool-my-ass-down feature, wheels, and a better resale.

I've driven my friends 2011 Fusion S base model with the 2.5 4cyl 6 speed manual. I like it. Drives real nice, comfy, drives smooth even on crappy roads. He hasn't had any issues with the car that wasn't his fault (he popped a tire). Gets good mpg, and even for the 4 cyl, it's peppy enough for a mid size car. I wouldn't mind having one, I just didn't like the center control layout and positioning. If you're cool with that, then I'd say its a good choice for vehicles.

Prince Valiant
11-21-2011, 11:27 PM
That still doesn't justify the price difference over a fusion. A lot more cash for not much in terms of car.Sure it does.

For a 2010 MY car, there simply aren't that many privately owned cars, or off lease vehicles in the used car market relative to what was sold new...UNLESS of course, ex-rental cars. Not too many MKZ's are used in rental agencies, while fusions are bought (and sold) in droves by hertz, thriffty, dollar, etc, etc.

Just look back through the ages at some of the cars that had among the worst resales...for the most part, you'll find a STRONG correlation b/w the cars with poor resale values and their propensity to be used by rental agencies. A few years back when most rental agencies used almost exlcusively american cars (ie neon, fusion, cavaliers to sebrings, malibu's, contour to intrepids, Impala's, Taurus) people always lamented at their poor resale versus those of the foreign makes...who sold few if any cars to rental agencies.

As a matter of fact, when Sergio Marchionne wanted to improve the resale values and enhance the image of chrysler products, one of the first acts was to stop selling as many cars to these rental agencies to help reduce the impact on the resale value....which was a sore point to buyers of their new cars.

88Nightmare
11-21-2011, 11:36 PM
So to summarize, if I give up cooled seats, "better wheels" and take on the stigma that fusions are used as rental cars, I can have a car of equal quality and have most features as the "classy" Lincoln for $7,000 less?

The mkz might have a Lincoln badge on it, but to me it's just a fusion.

Prince Valiant
11-21-2011, 11:49 PM
So to summarize, if I give up cooled seats, "better wheels" and take on the stigma that fusions are used as rental cars, I can have a car of equal quality and have most features as the "classy" Lincoln for $7,000 less?

The mkz might have a Lincoln badge on it, but to me it's just a fusion.Whatever reasons people have for getting a lincoln over a ford, it is what it is.

It's like when people talk about the "importance" of great teachers, blah blah blah...yet we have mult-millionaire movie stars and sports players, right? Which is more important, and which is better compensated? Why doesn't that make sense?

But of course, which is more important? Gold or Water? You'll die MUCH sooner without water right? But which is worth MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more?

hrrrrmmmm. Prices aren't always what we think they should be....but there are reasons for them.

88Nightmare
11-22-2011, 06:40 AM
Chris, I like you, but you're digging way too far into this. This isn't one of those situations where there's more than what meets the eye. This situation, there's definitely less...

wrath
11-22-2011, 10:58 AM
The 4 banger ones sound like an angry Corolla and makes the car feel cheap, just like all the other 4 cylinder midsize sedans. I was always afraid it was going to blow up and take out my feet, like the Ecotec G6/Aura/Malibu. The V6 SEL ones are nice but the fuel economy is rather poor.

If I got a Ford Employee discount instead of a GM Employee discount, I'd definitely buy a Fusion. It's a nice car for the dollar, just like the Malibu.

If you're looking at a Lincoln and you're not getting an employee discount of some kind, you're farking nuts. I'm sick of working on Lincolns with failed everything, cladding falling off, et cetera. They are pieces of shit.

Waver
11-22-2011, 11:53 AM
If you're looking at a Lincoln and you're not getting an employee discount of some kind, you're farking nuts. I'm sick of working on Lincolns with failed everything, cladding falling off, et cetera. They are pieces of shit.

I am not going to argue with you on this one considering I dont know the situation that has you working on them nor the years/models of lincoln you are working on, because admittedly, a lot of the older ones are big piles of shit. Cant tell you how many 90's early 2000's Town Cars and Continentals that I have seen where the most random shit is falling apart, as well as the air ride/ect. However, can some of that be due to customer neglect as well?

wrath
11-22-2011, 01:51 PM
I am not going to argue with you on this one considering I dont know the situation that has you working on them nor the years/models of lincoln you are working on, because admittedly, a lot of the older ones are big piles of shit. Cant tell you how many 90's early 2000's Town Cars and Continentals that I have seen where the most random shit is falling apart, as well as the air ride/ect. However, can some of that be due to customer neglect as well?

Aviator, 03-06 Navigator, Blackwood, and 07 Mark LT. My favorite is electrical problems and every single one of them has had power seat issues and body cladding falling off, especially the four second-generation Navigators I've worked on. We won't talk about the deflated-ride or all sorts of trailering equipment issues. The only time I end up working on them is after the dealership pissed away a bunch of money and it still wasn't fixed. Wife's family members just can't say no to fscker only rolls downhill "luxury" products. Honestly, go buy a Cadillac. Same extremely poor resale only it will make it to a 100k before it falls apart. And the Cadillac will pass a gas station once in a while.

88Nightmare
11-22-2011, 01:59 PM
To be fair, I've seen gm vehicles like Yukon denalis and trailblazer ss's have auto ride systems that fail. Compressors fail, air bags fail... None of it is invincible.

Waver
11-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Aviator, 03-06 Navigator, Blackwood, and 07 Mark LT. My favorite is electrical problems and every single one of them has had power seat issues and body cladding falling off, especially the four second-generation Navigators I've worked on. We won't talk about the deflated-ride or all sorts of trailering equipment issues. The only time I end up working on them is after the dealership pissed away a bunch of money and it still wasn't fixed. Wife's family members just can't say no to fscker only rolls downhill "luxury" products. Honestly, go buy a Cadillac. Same extremely poor resale only it will make it to a 100k before it falls apart. And the Cadillac will pass a gas station once in a while.

To be fair, I've seen gm vehicles like Yukon denalis and trailblazer ss's have auto ride systems that fail. Compressors fail, air bags fail... None of it is invincible.

Likewise, I have seen the same thing on both brands as they come in here on trade. The seat issue was common on 2nd gen navigators, and as far as air ride....if only it was as good as the systems on Semis.....however nothing is perfect. Since these vehicles are coming in on trade to you, it is very fair to say that it is because of how the previous owner took care of them... Hell, those invincible caddys that you talk about, have come in, passed safety, and then right after the porter cleans them the nothstar engine blows up....All vehicles are junk. It all depends on what day your junk was built and went through QC as well as the way you maintain it if it lasts longer or not.

Slow Joe
11-22-2011, 07:50 PM
My V6 AWD Fusion gets 25+ MPG Average... I'd say that's pretty good for V6 and AWD... Especially since my 9-5 gets around 25-26 MPG avg and it's a FWD 4-Cylinder Turbo...

jamest
11-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Thank you for all of the input. Hopefully will make a decision on one soon.