PDA

View Full Version : Furniture Shopping..... Your Experience ?

awsomeears
11-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Well its time to go Furniture Shopping.........

Let me here your Good/Bad Experience !

Anyone work in the industry ?

:thumbsup

michelle
11-20-2011, 03:42 PM
My sister works for Crate and Barrel, but lives in Minnesota (used to sell furniture at the one at Mayfair). Expensive furniture though.

There is an Ashley's up by me (near Cabela's). Not impressed with quality. Some of the couches/sofas looked okay, but none of the wood pieces are worth it.

88Nightmare
11-20-2011, 04:28 PM
We bought a rather large sectional couch from American. Special ordered it with a particular type of fabric and color along with a matching ottoman on wheels that opens and contains storage. One of the sections on the couch contains a pull out mattress. We paid a pretty penny for it, but it's gorgeous. Great quality, excellent warranty. It has 4 sections that form a giant C. Could probably have 7 people on here comfortably, but I'm sure it could hold 8-10.

pOrk
11-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Craigslist is best, furniture is expensive as balls and only lasts a few years anyhow

nismodave
11-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Cash and Carry in West bend.

srt4eh
11-20-2011, 07:27 PM
we went to Ashley Furniture down here in Louisville and had a great experience - good times

awsomeears
11-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Cash and Carry in West bend.

I googled it, have a site but its real plain...

Dave can you tell me more about this place, past purchases ?

wrath
11-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Steinhafel's in Pewaukee/Waukesha on Redford road has gotten a lot of our business. Decent quality for the price unlike Ashley. It's definitely no Art Van.

Crate and Barrel is like Ethan Allen, 70% is Made in China junk that looks nicer than Pier 1.

Recently purchased an Ikea Ektorp sectional that is OK.

awsomeears
11-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Steinhafel's over here in Greenfield had a TON of stuff.... we will head to Pewaukee because its three times the size....

PureSound15
11-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Almost all of my furniture is from Colder's in Delafied. Love all of it and the prices were great if we went on a a spend a dollar get a dollar kind of deal.

Al
11-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Crate and Barrel is absolute $hit. Their fit and finish is horrible. Every time someone I know purchases something from them, I have to reengineer it so that it will actually fit together.

For the same price as Ikea and CB, you can buy authentic, historical American furniture. You can easily find it at resale shops

Anyone work in the industry ?

I build furniture. My preferred styles range from Shaker to Hepplewhite. The tools I use are a combination of modern power tools and traditional hand tools. I emphasize the use of traditional joinery and avoid fasteners unless absolutely necessary. You can expect the highest quality and reasonable prices from me. Norm Abrams is my hero.

What are you looking for?

awsomeears
11-20-2011, 11:32 PM
Sofa with L attachement, love seat, kitchen table that has hidden leaf w/4 chairs.......

Just started looking and am blown away whats all out there...

CarrotTop
11-21-2011, 10:33 AM
www.lovesac.com direct link to the sactionals(sofas) http://www.lovesac.com/sactionals.html

They have store in mayfair. I have one of there supersacs(giant bean bag chair but filled with memory foam)

Im looking to pick up one of the couches either blackfriday or cyber monday(last year they did 75% online for few mines then every other few mines went down a %). Local stores this year doing 30% first hr then 10% rest of day. No updates for online deals yet.

But they also make some nice couches which can be changed around with no effort what so ever(as they come in sections) And the colors are endless can swap the covers out and change the whole look also custom covers can be ordered.

If you looking for something that you can change around into different sofas/chairs etc. This be for you.

BoosTT
11-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Steinhafel's in Pewaukee/Waukesha.

Theres an american right there too. These are the places I would start. Kinda weird how Steinhafels has a "poor" section inside (the closeout area, but they sell non-closeout items there too).

jbiscuit
11-21-2011, 08:47 PM
We have a Steinhafels couch and loveseat and it was falling apart after 6 months. All their furniture is marked up junk. Stay away from Ashley also...that furniture is less expensive but even shittier quality! Not too many choices nowadays for quality furniture!!

nismodave
11-21-2011, 08:53 PM
I googled it, have a site but its real plain...

Dave can you tell me more about this place, past purchases ?

Its mostly Ashley Furnature.....They do not Deliver.....But thier prices are Very Good....Im going to be buying a Sofa and Loveseat from them soon.

Slow Joe
11-21-2011, 11:20 PM
We have a rocker recliner loveseat and reclining sofa from American, over a year old. Good stuff. TV stand is from American. Sectional is from Steinhafels, once again a quality piece. Everytime we try to shop Colders, even with the dollar for dollar program I either can't find what I want for a reasonable price, or just can't find what I want. We almost bought a bedroom set at Ashley over the weekend. Quality construction (dovetailed pannels and solid wood), but it just didn't fit. Realistically my thought is find what you like, and just watch for quality... As for furniture not lasting a long time, maybe it's how you take care of it, or if you bought a cheaper set to begin with? We bought our bedroom set off CL 3 years ago, it's solid wood and is well over 15 years old, and is still solid so we're putting it in the guest room...

Oh and make sure to check Steinhafels clearance center, way in the back though in the "dock sale"... We've had good luck back there...

88Nightmare
11-21-2011, 11:41 PM
My parents recently replaced their living room furniture set (a love seat, sofa, and large chair with ottoman) that was originally bought new back in 1993. Held up great. Withstood a cross country move, 4 different dogs, kids jumping on it. This summer they just decided it was time. Furniture can last awhile if it was built well to begin with.

Al
11-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Sofa with L attachement, love seat, kitchen table that has hidden leaf w/4 chairs.......

Just started looking and am blown away whats all out there...

I can built that table, but I'm still meddling with chairs. If you see a nice, solid maple or other domestic hardwood table, but you would rather have solid mahogany, let me know.

But before anything, talk to a mod on the forum. It would not be right for me to do any business through the forum without going through them (commission).

Plum Crazy
11-22-2011, 11:10 PM
I went to BILT RITE in Milwaukee. Paid alot, but the quality is excellent. I got a Dining room table, 6 chairs, a couch, recliner, Chair and a half and an ottaman. Stuff holds my fat ass just perfect.

Car Guy
11-22-2011, 11:29 PM
+2 for Bilt-Rite unless the quality of their stuff has changed over the years. Brad, the entertainment center at the house on Allerton, dad's entertainment center (the one he just gave away), and the corner curio cabinet I bought mom for X-mas (the one she still has) all came from Bilt-Rite.....