PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Gallbladder problems?

Flicktitty
11-15-2011, 04:31 PM
For the last 2 years or so after i eat i shit almost immediately. Though it doesn't happen after every meal, but most. As of the last 3-4 months i have had chest/back pain in the upper right hand area of my chest. So i finally went to the Dr. and he ordered me to have a ultrasound.

Fast forward to Yesterday i had an ultrasound, the Dr. called a few hours later with the results with "sludge" in my gallbladder, He has now ordered me to have a HIDA scan. So i am awaiting the appointment for that. He said this is the last thing that needs to be done before it is removed.

just wondering if anyone else has had problems or have had any of these things done in the past?

animal
11-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I know 5 people that had theirs removed with stones. If you're getting "attacks" like the pain under the ribcage, its prolly only a matter of time before you're gonna be under the knife for gall bladder removal. JMO based on multiple family members that have had it happen.

awsomeears
11-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Wow ....

Just 5 days ago I took my crying girl friend into the ER for serious chest pains ( she's a tuff girl so I was quite scared ) and I guess the Dr. said plenty of people have gallbladder stones but most never move, apparently hers move and got restrictive....

Previous day her back was hurting, so the symptoms were similar

Prince Valiant
11-15-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure if the crapping is directly related to your gallbladder or gallstones, but I guess it could be. What I'm saying is that it's medically normal to have an urge/need to go shortly after eating. For those that eat more, the more likely this is to be true.

BUT, the pain you're talking about does fit the classic referral pattern for gallbladder/gallstone pain. Usually upperright quadrant of the abdomen, upper back, b/w the shoulder blades. The next question is, do you get attacks? Spikes in the intensity of your discomfort? Does it relate to your eating? And does the types of food you eat (fatty vs low fat) and volume seem to correlate to the intensity of the attacks?

When it comes to ultrasound interpretation, I can't help you there. As far as my trainning goes, I'm only aware of when to be suspicious of possible gallstones/gallbladder attack, not to diagnose them per se, so I don't know the meaning of "sludge" in the gallbladder. My guess is that it could mean that the bile ducts are blocked or somewhat so, so this may indicate the presence of gallstones...though I would have thought they could be visible, this might be an indirect sign of them.

I will say that while your story would raise suspicion of gallstone or whatnot, it's not a "slamdunk" type history...IE, it doesn't possess all the hallmark signs....just hints of several of them. That said, this isn't uncommon for gallstones/gallbladder attacks, and it's not uncommon to get the runaround until a definitive diagnosis is made/surgery performed for a period of a month or two in these less than hyper-acute/non-emergency type cases.

Flicktitty
11-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Prince, Do you have any knowledge of the Hida (Hyda) Scan?

I have noticed i am effected more by fatty foods and usually have to go to the bathroom within 5-15 minutes of eating.

Prince Valiant
11-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Prince, Do you have any knowledge of the Hida (Hyda) Scan?

I have noticed i am effected more by fatty foods and usually have to go to the bathroom within 5-15 minutes of eating.Not really familiar with it...looked it up and it seems to be an imaging study particularly suited to detect gallbladder function though. So it does seem to be among the most definitive imaging study they have out there. If that's what they're recommending, it should clear up any doubt one way or the other.