PDA

View Full Version : Free Floating Wood Floor....

awsomeears
11-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Who has installed there own and what product did you use, seems like there are a ton out there. Hobo is stocked to the hills as well menards, lowes and home depot !!!

Rule of thumbs and or big mistakes for those that have installed ?

17x15 living room

88Nightmare
11-13-2011, 10:06 PM
I put in a light cherry colored pergo floating laminate floor at my parents. Completed their living room, entry way, and coat closet in less than 8 hours. It looks fantastic. Easy to install, and I think a 25 year warranty.

PonyKiller87
11-14-2011, 09:01 AM
I did the whole lower 1100 sqft of my duplex last Jan. I used one of the cheaper brands at Menards. Got a hell of a deal picking it all up on new years day. I think when it was all said and done it cost me right around $1700.

The under layment or pad was actually more expensive than the flooring, but I sprung for the good stuff.

The hard part is trimming around the doors because you want it all to fit good with no gaps but sometimes its tough to do.

Oh If you have a really nice blade in your chop saw, go get a cheap one from HF, the epoxy coating on the top of most of these floors kills saw blades.

I'm sure I can think of more stuff, over all its not to bad. Starts out a little slow, once you get the hang of it you start flyin.

88Nightmare
11-14-2011, 09:48 AM
The pergo already had a pad on the bottom of each piece and since we were putting it over a wood subfloor, additional underlayments seemed unnecessary. Trimming around the doors was easy with an oscillating saw. Just flip a piece over so the finished side doesn't get damaged and run the oscillating saw into the bottom of the door frame and then your plank can slide right underneath.

awsomeears
11-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Awesome thanks for the info !!!

The home I'm buying needs only a few inside things and its set !!!

fly5150
11-15-2011, 10:04 AM
don't buy the cheepest crap, the thin pressboard stuff is a nightmare to deal with. The Pergo and the slightly nicer stuff is a plastic base and much easier to work with.

SouthSide1
11-21-2011, 07:24 PM
you get what you pay for in this stuff. the cheaper stuff is usually more of a pain in the ass to work with steep angles to lock in place and you cant jump the locks when u need to. for a laminate floor i would only use all loc its the easiest to work w and there locks are the best.

jbiscuit
11-22-2011, 10:15 PM
like said already you get what you pay for. HOBO usually carries the off brand laminate flooring. Spend the extra coin and either put in hardwood or buy Pergo. I put in Pergo in the last house. Cake to install with a good chop saw with a sharp blade. I put in Armstrong laminate in my parents' kitchen and that was a nice product also but way overpriced I thought. Lumber Liquidators has some nice hardwoods to select from. The only downside there is hardwood is super fragile....shows scratches, marring, dents etc. First time you walk on it with a stone in your shoe you'll be sorry. But it does add value to your home.

eltness350
11-23-2011, 03:55 PM
u def get what you pay for, im a flooring installer so if u need any other info pm me. but like stated also a jam saw makes the finished look better with the material underneath the jams, for mouldings i would suggest using pl and nailing them in instead of using the crappy tracks that come with transitions. my pops works at carpet town if you want quality stuff!!!

pOrk
11-23-2011, 04:41 PM
I don't like Pergo, your paying for a name there are better brands for less cash. Check out Flooring Super Center in at the Regency Mall or whatever it is in Racine, avoic hobo if you ever need more chances are slim they will still have the same brand / product and the prices there aren't much different then anywhere else.

jbiscuit
11-23-2011, 09:47 PM
^ no you aren't just paying for the name you are paying more for the product because it is quality. It holds up great, cuts well and the interlocking edges don't crack and break like some of the other cheap brands.