PDA

View Full Version : Should cops have an age limit?

Flight_740
08-29-2004, 02:25 PM
I was just wondering what you all thought. Should cops have a certain age limit before they are allowed to become officers? It seems like the only cops that have ever given me a real hard time were the young ones. It's like they have a huge ego to protect. I'm 23 and I don't feel like Im mature enough to be a cop.

Anyways, if so vote yes. If not vote no. What age do you think is fair? Im going to say 30-32 years old.

Silver350
08-29-2004, 02:48 PM
I thought that you had to be at least 21 to become a cop. I thought I heard something with the law being you must be 21 in order to carry a side arm. I dont know if that is true now a days

Cryptic
08-29-2004, 05:28 PM
I'd say:

if below X age... they have to be accompanied by another older/experienced officer. Which is probably how they do it anyways I would hope.

Pig Pen
08-30-2004, 12:05 AM
I'm 23...

Typically you have to be 21 to become a cop/in order for pd's just to take your application. But, some places, especailly about 2 hours north of here, they hire you as young as 18 if you have at least 60 college credits, but then your parents have to sign a waiver to allow you to have a gun, something places down here don't have the time to deal with seeing as how cops up north make a woping 9.60 and hour, and the ones down here start at about 20 to 25 an hour, then a huge pay increase after you've served for 5 years.

The job is nothing more then common sense, maturity, and being able to maintain a level of civil mindedness. Though, I have to say, there are alot of times the last part gets thrown out the window, especiall when your on an express way and people don't give up room or slow down and you have to jump the safety wall, which I've done twice now...

jbiscuit
08-30-2004, 08:48 AM
25 is a good age I think..anything less and you don't respect them. You are right though, the young ones have ego issues at times

Teufelhunden
08-30-2004, 09:43 AM
I wonder what the inspiration was for this thread? Hmmmm....

Flight_740
08-30-2004, 10:18 AM
I wonder what the inspiration was for this thread? Hmmmm....

Absolutly none. Just some conversation.

mustangbrandon
08-31-2004, 10:11 PM
You may think it has something to do with them being young, it actually has more to do with experience. Just think how you would feel the FIRST time you walk up to a car by yourself, the FIRST time something dosen't go right...

It takes many times for them to start to feel "comfortable" and even then they can't. I know no one is slamming them but my sugestion would be to try and walk a mile in their shoes before you "beat up" on them. These people chose to put themselves in harms way every day they go to work... Unfortunatley some of them let things go to their heads but for the most part I think there aren't too many issues. The departments all have a pretty good screening process today and "loose cannons" are few and far between. Just try and keep in mind what they go through and remember, someday you may need one...

...this has been a public service announcement from MustangBrandon, we now return you to your regualr posting... :party:

GHOSST
09-01-2004, 01:40 AM
Wanna find out who the cops are? I'll be one, and we know Pens one, anyone else want to confess?:goof

MilTownSHO
09-01-2004, 03:16 AM
Wanna find out who the cops are? I'll be one, and we know Pens one, anyone else want to confess?:goof
I confess... :3gears:

fireguyrick
09-01-2004, 03:45 AM
I am work with the police alot, and most of them are very well put toghether. But even I get the occasional ass hole from time to time....mostly though they are with the State patrol. On my old FD we dealt with the local sheriffs department alot, and some of them just did not care....typically the ones that have been on the dept along time.

You could by all means say that a Firefighter or Paramedic should have a minimum age limit, personally I DO think Paramedics should have one, at least for expierence...I have known 19 year old paramedics in the past that were just as cocky as a young cop, but I would be more afraid of them than a young cop.

So yes, their should be a minimum age limit, and their more or less is one at this time. And whom ever made the comment about walk a mile in their shoes....you are 100% right.

Rick

Flight_740
09-01-2004, 09:50 AM
Oh, im not trying to bash anybody. I just think someone with that kind of power should be older and more mature.

scubastang
09-01-2004, 02:05 PM
I'm 23...

Typically you have to be 21 to become a cop/in order for pd's just to take your application. But, some places, especailly about 2 hours north of here, they hire you as young as 18 if you have at least 60 college credits, but then your parents have to sign a waiver to allow you to have a gun, something places down here don't have the time to deal with seeing as how cops up north make a woping 9.60 and hour, and the ones down here start at about 20 to 25 an hour, then a huge pay increase after you've served for 5 years.

The job is nothing more then common sense, maturity, and being able to maintain a level of civil mindedness. Though, I have to say, there are alot of times the last part gets thrown out the window, especiall when your on an express way and people don't give up room or slow down and you have to jump the safety wall, which I've done twice now...

quick question - do you guys really have "quotas" to meet for writing tickets (either tickets period of moving violation tickets?)

I ask because what would happen if a cop was really into vechicles/racing etc on the side like you and let a lot of nice cars go with warning just to be nice? Would he get into trouble for letting too many people off or not meeting a quota? (obviously if the car is doing something that really warrants a ticket then give it but the little stuff you know?)