PDA

View Full Version : GM couldnt get it right

spooln30
11-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Now this is safe?

http://m.jalopnik.com/5858690/chevy-volt-crash-test-fire-explodes-into-federal-investigation

GHOSST
11-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Well I blame Gov'ment Motors (said purposefully), and the Pres, for his need of greener vehicles asap. Like this whole electric car crap is going to solve all our problems.

Well.. I guess its a good thing people aren't lining up to go electric, or American electric at least...

Reverend Cooper
11-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Well I just hope that they get dragged threw court like Toyota did.There is actually a problem here unlike Toyota which was either wrong mats or driver error.

lilws6
11-12-2011, 08:42 AM
lithium ion batteries can be touchy. Look at the lith ion batteries they make for the rc cars yea they are powerful as hell but theres also a reason you have to charge them in a kevlar bag! Theres the risk of explosion with lith ions whether they are charged improperly or discharged to far they go boom :) so i could see the safty issue with lith ions on a bigger scale

lordairgtar
11-12-2011, 12:55 PM
OKAY! First, the car's battery pack lasted three weeks after its test. Second, GM has protocol to deal with a crashed Volt which NHTSA did not follow. First step in the protocol is to disconnect or remove the pack. In production cars sold to the public, the Onstar system will notify the company and a response team will come to properly deal with the battery pack. In the Volt, there is a liquid filled membrane which circulates cooling fluids to keep the heat generated by L/I batteries down. It also as well will warm up the battery pack in extreme cold to keep battery efficiency at peak. The battery occupies a space between the seat area and behind the rear seats in a "T" shape. In this car, the engine is only there to charge the battery when going long distances, not drive the wheels. I may buy one in a couple of years.

88Nightmare
11-12-2011, 12:58 PM
lithium ion batteries can be touchy. Look at the lith ion batteries they make for the rc cars yea they are powerful as hell but theres also a reason you have to charge them in a kevlar bag! Theres the risk of explosion with lith ions whether they are charged improperly or discharged to far they go boom :) so i could see the safty issue with lith ions on a bigger scale

Aren't those lithium polymer batteries you're referring to?

BAD LS1
11-12-2011, 03:37 PM
OKAY! First, the car's battery pack lasted three weeks after its test. Second, GM has protocol to deal with a crashed Volt which NHTSA did not follow. First step in the protocol is to disconnect or remove the pack. In production cars sold to the public, the Onstar system will notify the company and a response team will come to properly deal with the battery pack. In the Volt, there is a liquid filled membrane which circulates cooling fluids to keep the heat generated by L/I batteries down. It also as well will warm up the battery pack in extreme cold to keep battery efficiency at peak. The battery occupies a space between the seat area and behind the rear seats in a "T" shape. In this car, the engine is only there to charge the battery when going long distances, not drive the wheels. I may buy one in a couple of years.

This^^ they also are able to be sold in wi now too, sat in one at bergstrom when I bought my cruze.

VroomPshhTsi
11-12-2011, 05:48 PM
I sat in one at a car show. Seemed a lot smaller/cramped than I thought it would be. Time will tell how successful this car will be.

PB86MCSS
11-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Even if you don't pay for OnStar it will assist in a crash? Just checking.

Also, where in WI is this NHTSA facility? IIRC there is a crash test facility near Waterford and also one at the VA I know, a guy I know works at the VA location.

I also like how the term "explodes" was thrown into the headline, but the car didn't actually explode. Nice touch.

GHOSST
11-12-2011, 06:39 PM
I also like how the term "explodes" was thrown into the headline, but the car didn't actually explode. Nice touch.

Smear it like PB & J. The writer is probably a toyota fan.

Plum Crazy
11-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Even if you don't pay for OnStar it will assist in a crash? Just checking.

Also, where in WI is this NHTSA facility? IIRC there is a crash test facility near Waterford and also one at the VA I know, a guy I know works at the VA location.

Its in Burlington, its the old AMC Proving Grounds

DRK
11-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Well I just hope that they get dragged threw court like Toyota did.There is actually a problem here unlike Toyota which was either wrong mats or driver error.
lol ....you don't work for toyota do you?

Al
11-12-2011, 09:11 PM
It is amusing that so many people here blame the Gov for this issue. The real issue is the type of battery. Lithium-based batteries are far more touchy than nickel batteries.

Aren't those lithium polymer batteries you're referring to?

Both will do this. The Li-ion batteries are more prone to it.

88Nightmare
11-12-2011, 09:39 PM
They've been using li-ion batteries in cell phones and cordless phones for years, and I don't see those batteries explode like I've seen lipo battery do.

Al
11-12-2011, 11:27 PM
They've been using li-ion batteries in cell phones and cordless phones for years, and I don't see those batteries explode like I've seen lipo battery do.

True, but the size difference has a considerable impact on the outcome of this type of scenario.

FoxStang
11-13-2011, 10:35 AM
I may buy one in a couple of years.

You know you could buy two Cruzes for the price of one Volt? Seems like a pointless purchase to me, that is until the technology is matured enough to not require a government subsidy and be affordable enough for the common person to easily afford with out leveraging to the hills.

Rule of thumb, if it requires a government subsidy, it probably can't be successful on its own, and there's always an underlying reason for that.

Rocket Power
11-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Its in Burlington, its the old AMC Proving GroundsYep, I worked there for 8 1/2 years. Until about 2 years ago.
http://www.mgaresearch.com/

DRK
11-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Rule of thumb, if it requires a government subsidy, it probably can't be successful on its own, and there's always an underlying reason for that.

you mean like the airlines, trains, & farmers of america

brotherbenn83
11-13-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm more interested in the Volt that started on fire while charging. I'm glad the one I had in my garage overnight didn't start my house on fire...

FoxStang
11-13-2011, 10:08 PM
you mean like the airlines, trains, & farmers of america

Yep, in their current model, success can't exist, though, you can thank the government for a fair share of that.

DRK
11-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Yep, in their current model, success can't exist, though, you can thank the government for a fair share of that.

you do know that the gov. subsidies you also with tax breaks

FoxStang
11-14-2011, 01:35 PM
you do know that the gov. subsidies you also with tax breaks

Sorry, how naive of me to think that the government isn't the arbiter of my livelihood. Remind me to send a thank you for them allowing me keep my money.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

DRK
11-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Remind me to send a thank you for them allowing me keep my money.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

you may want to hold off on that thank you until BHO is done fucking it all up, you may end up with less then you planned.