PDA

View Full Version : Small engine question

LEWETHETIGER73
11-10-2011, 07:37 PM
So can you run higher grade gas in a small engine? Like a go kart or mini bike. Or any fuel cleaners? I assume they should work but thought I would ask anyways. Thanks

BAD LS1
11-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Yes but to no advantage. Your avg L-head is about 8:1 cr which will not knock on 87 ever lol. Fuel system cleaners meant for a car has alot of solvents which can attack and swell rubber components that are not as robust as a car.

I assume you must be having a fuel system issue? Fuel deposits in carb? Poor running or something?

LEWETHETIGER73
11-11-2011, 05:57 AM
Poor running. I figured I would give it a shot of some cleaner or just a higher octane to see if there is any effect. Otherwise pull and clean over the winter. Which I will probably do but I figured only if I saw the results first.

michelle
11-11-2011, 06:15 AM
What kind of motor? Clean the carb.

BAD LS1
11-11-2011, 07:30 AM
The carb will most likely have to come apart to get all the high speed and idle circuit components cleaned by hand etc. today's reformulated (ethanol added) has a shelf life of about 30 days, granted it can prolong slightly in cooler temps. But it will breakdown quick and adhere to any metal components in the carb that has copper in its alloy makeup. Ethanol has an affinity for the copper molecule and hence green goo that forms on brass components etc.

Remember that a small engine spends 98% of its time running on the idle circuit, even though you perceive it to be wot as you are holding a throttle there. Even the slightest varnish build up will restrict air bleed or jet sizing and throw the calibration off and this taking smooth performance with it.

stenchmiester
11-11-2011, 08:21 AM
I recomend mid grade or premium just because when tjey are throttled the run beyween 3600 and 4000 rpm. Ethanol bases fuel has a 30 day self life and Is hazardous too vitan rubber in the fuel needles and diaphrams

michelle
11-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Adam's been using Seafoam in a lot of his tractors/small engines lately. He has so many and they are not started (used) very often. He's been happy with the results. He still cleans the carb and other components first.

stenchmiester
11-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Briggs sell an additive called fresh start and .Is the nonly prodyct We have found at work that actual work too jeep Ethanol fresh. Alsokeep the tank full too limit moisture

stenchmiester
11-11-2011, 08:32 AM
michelle seafoam Is a great cleaner but not a great fuel stabilizer. stabil brand-name doesnt work wtuth Ethanol Is 90 percent isopropyl. so Its like mixig vodka with monshine

michelle
11-11-2011, 08:41 AM
He empties all the gas tanks over winter, I should have added. It's more during the spring/summer/fall months. I don't think he's really using it as a fuel stabilizer, but as you said - a cleaner. I think they claim it stabilizes fuel for 2 years though....

stenchmiester
11-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Draining Is bad wih Ethanol. U never Get it agll out. So what you Miss áreas dowfb into varnish

michelle
11-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Well he doesn't have a choice if he wants to utilize the exposed basement for tractors he is working on over winter...

BAD LS1
11-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Rubber/plastic technology has gotten pretty good in recent years so the Viton rubber is now unharmed by ethanol, solvents are another story (swelling).

We do offer a NEW fuel treament with basically triple the anti oxidants to keep the fuel intact and its mineral spirts based vs alcohol based of that of competitors. But to compare older equipment carbs vs new EPA cert carbs is apples to oranges and using solvent additives like seafom is going to swell rubber parts like all the "o" rings in use now.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/sitecore/content/BASCO/Newsroom/News%20Articles/2011/01/New%20Briggs%20and%20Stratton%20Advanced%20Formula %20Fuel%20Treatment%20and%20Stabilizer

Do not forget that fuel is seasonal too... only buy what you will consume within a certain season.

We need more small engine threads, i love a good debate on them!

stenchmiester
11-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks Tom. I try my best too help. You do know more than me no doubt

BAD LS1
11-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks Tom. I try my best too help. You do know more than me no doubt

Not trying to undermine you man! this is just a topic i wish that would come up more!

michelle
11-11-2011, 01:31 PM
You like a good debate in general.

lordairgtar
11-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Would pressurizing a tank keep fuel stable longer? What would it take to pressurize a small engine tank?

BAD LS1
11-11-2011, 05:12 PM
No that will do nothing to stop the chemical breakdown of the fuel, not mention poses a saftey concern.

lordairgtar
11-11-2011, 05:15 PM
How do you figure? That is what Chevy does with the Volt. Tank is pressurized because fuel will be kept longer than in a normal car. The pressurization keeps it stable.

BAD LS1
11-11-2011, 07:57 PM
That's a $40,000 Chevy volt, we're talking a $120 small engine. Small engines are first going mainstream this year with evap controls that cars have had for 30+ years. This industry is far behind automotive. For now just use stabilizer to buy time or use up everything so you are forced to start with fresh.