PDA

View Full Version : 98 Cavalier 5 speed super cheap awesome winter beater great MPG!

Moparjim
11-07-2011, 10:13 AM
My daughter cannot afford to keep her car, so I am repoing it lol and need it out of my driveway before winter.

98 Cavalier, the newer generation motor I think 2.2l, 5 speed, runs great, drives great. I will have to look at mileage but its like 150K or something along those lines. Pretty clean, some rust spots on the driver's street facing side previous owner street parked it. Overall looks pretty good, purple with factory aluminum rims, no dents just wear and tear. Interior is in nice shape as well. Everything works lights heat etc. Gets great mileage, ready to drive. Only issue is I replaced the clutch slave and master awhile back and never could get the thing bled enough to totally 100% disengage. It drives fine, she's been driving it for months it just has to be kinda clunked/stuffed into 1st and reverse a bit since it must be spinnning the input shaft a bit while your stopped, once your rolling you hardly notice it. The clutch is perfectly fine, no slippage, etc and it looked great when I had it apart. I suspect either it needs to be bled more or maybe I got a crappy new slave or master. The parts are warrantied and would be free if the new owner wanted to pull the trans again, I just haven't gotten around to doing so and as I said the car does indeed drive fine. Search for a thread on here for more info I posted about it back when I did it.

Priced to sell at $900 OR OFFER emphasis on the OR OFFER I really don't want to move it around my driveway all winter while shoveling, and I really don't want her to bug me to drive it all the time when she has no money to pay me back for the original car purchase or for insurance or gas lol.

Car Guy
11-07-2011, 08:29 PM
REPOdad......:rolf

Moparjim
11-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Even more fun i asked her for the title and keys last noght so i can be ready to sell it and found out she never registered it and transferred the title. After having a lengthy discussion as to how we cannot sell it since it is already filled out with her name as the purchaser and how she shouldnt be driving an unregistered vehicle for 8 months etc i had to send her to the dmv this morning to register it just so i can sell it. Conveniently as stated she has no money so i forked over the $100 but told her that is her birthday present since it is indeed her birthday this week.

I feel like birds have it right lol at this point i feel like its time for this bird to be tossed out of the nest and forced to fly on her own...

Moparjim
11-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Ps still for sale and obviously more annoying by the day. 750 would take this thing. Scrap cars are going for 500. This is a good runner and driver great mileage. I forgot i think it even has a decent cd player deck.

88Nightmare
11-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Even more fun i asked her for the title and keys last noght so i can be ready to sell it and found out she never registered it and transferred the title. After having a lengthy discussion as to how we cannot sell it since it is already filled out with her name as the purchaser and how she shouldnt be driving an unregistered vehicle for 8 months etc i had to send her to the dmv this morning to register it just so i can sell it. Conveniently as stated she has no money so i forked over the $100 but told her that is her birthday present since it is indeed her birthday this week.

I feel like birds have it right lol at this point i feel like its time for this bird to be tossed out of the nest and forced to fly on her own...
A title is only $69.50

Ps still for sale and obviously more annoying by the day. 750 would take this thing. Scrap cars are going for 500. This is a good runner and driver great mileage. I forgot i think it even has a decent cd player deck.

I'm interested in the car, but with the clutch problem you describe, is it safe to assume it's going to need a new master & slave?

Moparjim
11-08-2011, 06:59 PM
No clue to be honest. Search for the other thread about it Russ thinks maybe Im just not getting it bled right. I bled the heck out of it like 25 times though its not rocket science. Parts are warrantied for a year and would be free if you felt like pulling the trans to replace em.

Meanwhile my daughter has been driving it just fine for months it hasn't gotten any worse. She is also pretty much a princess so if she can deal with it a normal person would barely notice it lol. It basically is just clunky/grindy if you don't snap it into first or reverse from a stop. Once your rolling you don't really notice it and the clutch feels pretty normal as far as pedal engagement and it doesnt clunk/grind into other gears once rolling. It acts like it is still just dragging the clutch spinning the input shaft the slightest slightest bit when your stopped and have the pedal pushed. Come look at it if your interested and see what you think.

Moparjim
11-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Oh and title is 69.50 plus taxes on purchase price plus $5 counter fee etc. Even on a $500 purchase price the taxes were $25+.... Hence it was $96 something.

I've owned close to 100 cars, 10 currently...not my first time to the dance lol.

88Nightmare
11-08-2011, 07:35 PM
people are still paying sales tax on private party auto sales??

anyway, I probably won't have time to check it out until Friday. I will pm you closer to the end of the week

Moparjim
11-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Sounds good and yes i still pay. I have never been able to get away with it being a gift or whatever.

Moparjim
11-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Sold!