PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist etiquette

Russ Jerome
11-07-2011, 01:35 AM
a: When you sell something remove your ad, if you dont at least reply to people who inquire about your item..

I e-mail a guy who had a few week old ad, offerd 100% of asking and said I can pickup at his schedule.
No reply I go back and continue my search...the poster has removed his ad without a simple "sold" reply :(

Wagonbacker9
11-07-2011, 02:20 AM
I've found that on craigslist whether buying or selling, 75% of the parties involved are douchebags. Start with low expectations, and every once in a while you'll be pleasantly surprised.

SSDude
11-07-2011, 05:48 AM
I've found that on craigslist whether buying or selling, 75% of the parties involved are douchebags. Start with low expectations, and every once in a while you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Same here!

BR3W CITY
11-07-2011, 10:48 AM
I hate folks who just email you something like;

"Interested in it call me 555-555-55555", I don't even bother anymore, as the 3-4 times I have responded its been an idiot. Either its a scam # that has some goofy area code, or the person doesn't even know which vehicle they emailed you about.

Also, don't email me or call me and ask really stupid questions that are all covered in detail in the ad. I understand if you want to see it, or have a question about a model or options etc but damn have some common sense.

3rd, the bottom feeders that feel like the world owes them one. I don't care what has happened to you in life, none of it requires me to sell you a car for 1/2 of asking price. I don't care if your kids can't get to school, they were probably going to be delinquent anyway.

LEWETHETIGER73
11-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Don't forget those gems that say they will come out at a pre-determined time then for what ever reason the don't contact you until at least an hour after the arrange time to say sorry they maybe late or they can't make it that day anymore. Now I have a strict 1 strike your out policy

Firefighter Z
11-08-2011, 08:02 AM
I don't bother with the "Interested Call Me" types I do everything by e-mail (I don't want idiots with my number) nor do I wait on people. If you say you going to be here at a certain time, well you better get here before or at that time, otherwise if you show up a few minutes after, tough shit on your part you don't exist to me.

I'll only give out my number and wait for BCM'ers. Never had a problem yet.

350-Z28
11-08-2011, 09:01 AM
I agree with everything mentioned, I hate listing stuff on craiglist, I always give a very thorough description and 8 out of the 10 questions I get asked are covered in detail in the ad. Either that or someone constantly flags my stuff...I get a feeling most of the stuff that gets flagged is from some moron who e-mailed me and I gave him a not so nice e-mail in return for his stupidity. Used to be an awesome way to sell and buy, not so much anymore.

88Nightmare
11-08-2011, 09:05 AM
I hate folks who just email you something like;

"Interested in it call me 555-555-55555", I don't even bother anymore, as the 3-4 times I have responded its been an idiot. Either its a scam # that has some goofy area code, or the person doesn't even know which vehicle they emailed you about.

Also, don't email me or call me and ask really stupid questions that are all covered in detail in the ad. I understand if you want to see it, or have a question about a model or options etc but damn have some common sense.

3rd, the bottom feeders that feel like the world owes them one. I don't care what has happened to you in life, none of it requires me to sell you a car for 1/2 of asking price. I don't care if your kids can't get to school, they were probably going to be delinquent anyway.

I'm the opposite. I prefer to do business verbally. I don't care if there's a high quantity of idiots out there, I want to talk to the person in buying stuff from, not email. So when I see something I want and they don't include a number, I fire off an email saying "I'm interested in ..., please call me 414-xxx-xxxx. If the ... Is as you describe and I find nothing else wrong with it, I'd like to buy it right away. -mike"

If people don't take that as serious, fuck em, I'll buy something else. I'd feel a potential sale to be more legitimate by speaking to someone rather than email. At least when talking to people, I can feel them out and figure out if they are just going to waste my time or not.

BoosTT
11-08-2011, 10:06 AM
I've been avoiding craigslist for anything "cheap". It's not worth dealing with dumbasses to save $20. Car parts, electronics, ect... I get 'em from amazon or ebay.
People buying and selling $3k+ items usually act a little better.

Another thing not mentoned yet is people who are undecided. They'll come look at your item and need to think about it. No you can't test drive a $2000 car and think about buying it for 2 days. If you come to look at it, you better have the cash on you. I just told three other people to wait, so you can look at it??

BR3W CITY
11-08-2011, 12:44 PM
"I'm interested in ..., please call me 414-xxx-xxxx. If the ... Is as you describe and I find nothing else wrong with it, I'd like to buy it right away. -mike".

If I see a 414 or 262 im inclined to reply, I have a couple of throw away phones for selling cars and shit on CL (BCM'ers have actaully gotten my real number)....but the problem is that your last line "if the item is as your described I'd like to buy it right away" sounds a little like one of those scam emails. I guess its all in how it comes. If it seems reasonable, the number seems local, and the email seems real, then I'm ok to reply.

I also keep a scammers phone number handy (one of those $50/minute long distance scam numbers that used to be going around). I send that number to suspected scammers.

88Nightmare
11-08-2011, 01:15 PM
If I see a 414 or 262 im inclined to reply, I have a couple of throw away phones for selling cars and shit on CL (BCM'ers have actaully gotten my real number)....but the problem is that your last line "if the item is as your described I'd like to buy it right away" sounds a little like one of those scam emails. I guess its all in how it comes. If it seems reasonable, the number seems local, and the email seems real, then I'm ok to reply.

I also keep a scammers phone number handy (one of those $50/minute long distance scam numbers that used to be going around). I send that number to suspected scammers.

That's what I get for using proper grammar in my emails to others. Maybe it would help if I replied to people and gave the appearance of ignorance haha

The Shaolin
11-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Whenever I try to buy something on craigslist, I tell them I'm a nigerian prince, people are usually pretty eager to do business with important people.

88Nightmare
11-08-2011, 04:08 PM
I find it key to offer them 1100% over their asking price via personal check and ask them to refund it all but keep that extra 100% of the item price for themselves for their troubles.

GHOSST
11-08-2011, 07:05 PM
I haven't used CL in awhile, but your telling me you can flag anyone's item without proof or a valid reason? I say this because in the past I have told many people to go fuck themselves when they ask dumb questions, or simply ask questions that I purposefully put the answers in the ad for <---- this being my #1 pet peeve which is why I rarely used CL anymore, its like people window shop constantly and never read anything more then 2 sentences.

But I won't be going back anytime soon if dumb people can continue to be dumb, and flag my post because their idiots with no etiquette.

LEWETHETIGER73
11-08-2011, 07:36 PM
I don't do any business with anyone unless I talk to them in person. Easy as that

Wagonbacker9
11-08-2011, 07:52 PM
I had a CL transaction go so well today it was scary.

Found a guy parting a 95 Chevy full size. Only wanted $50 for the hood, theres a little rust in the typical spot, but WAY better than what I had. I gave him my crappy hood to keep the engine bay from gettin destroyed. I wish I had more parts in common with the truck. lol

-stew-
11-08-2011, 08:04 PM
I traded a conduit bender I found for a thirty pack of beer on CL. Best transaction ever.