PDA

View Full Version : Does this Ball Joint Look Bad?

xxsn0blindxx
11-05-2011, 10:55 AM
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m451/xxsn0blindxx/Junk/th_video-2011-11-05-10-41-55.jpg (http://s335.photobucket.com/albums/m451/xxsn0blindxx/Junk/?action=view&current=video-2011-11-05-10-41-55.mp4)

Click on the picture to see the video.

I've been trying to track down a really bad suspension rattle in my 99 Tahoe 4WD. Over bumps in the road it makes a nasty clunk/rattling sound on the front driver side, that sounds a lot like a bad swaybar bushing or ball joint. For some reason it doesn't do it when the wheel is turned to the right. All of the swaybar bushings look ok and the lower balljoint has no movement at all. The only time I've had to mess with a bad ball joint it was very obviously bad so I'm not sure if this little bit of movement is bad. There really doesn't seem to be any side-to-side movement so I suspect this balljoint is ok. The truck has 140k on it nad it looks like this is an aftermarket A-arm and ball joint. I know for sure the pitman and/or idler needs to be replaced as the steering is quite sloppy, but that wouldn't make a clunking noise over bumps would it?

Yooformula
11-05-2011, 12:29 PM
front hub is my bet. mine did the same thing and couldnt tell the hub was that bad until the nut was removed then it fell apart. the rattle and noises were especially bad when going up the driveway or when I was first start out moving. try mounting the wheel back on, and with the front end up, try to move the wheel around and see how much play there is.

xxsn0blindxx
11-05-2011, 01:03 PM
I moved on to replacing the pitman arm and after an hour and a half of banging on it with a hammer and air chisel it hasn't budged off of the steering linkage, so I'm saying F it just taking it in somewhere to get everything taken care of. Before I took the wheel off I tried moving it every which way and the only movement was from the steering linkage.

Dr.Buick
11-06-2011, 07:34 AM
jack up truck. with tire on pry with a big pry bar under the tire and pull up. that will tell you on the ball joint. these front ends are very easy to do.

Larrygto
11-06-2011, 06:19 PM
On my 02 avalanche the intermediate steering shaft makes the sound your describing

Coops Brother
11-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Check for loose bolts at the top and bottom of the shock. If you see a light brown dust by the bolts they are loose and the shock is hammering up and down.....looks like the original shocks.

brotherbenn83
11-07-2011, 08:20 AM
On my 02 avalanche the intermediate steering shaft makes the sound your describing

This is an older body style truck, never have replaced a steering shaft in this body style tahoe...ever.