PDA

View Full Version : Advice For Learning to Weld

Boostaddct
11-02-2011, 11:22 AM
I want to learn how to weld and have been looking into the best way to go about it. I looked at WCTC and they offer a Metal Fab/Welding class, but I really don't want to go through 2 whole semesters of mixed classes just to learn. Does anyone have any other advice on how I can go about learning?

michelle
11-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Have a welder? I just grabbed a bunch of scrap metal and practiced. And then my dad gave me pointers along the way.

I certainly wouldn't say I am good at it, but with practice my later welds sure looked better than the first few ones I did!

Boostaddct
11-02-2011, 11:29 AM
I don't have one yet...not sure what I should be looking for in a welder; I'm an extreme newbie when it comes to welding. I wish they just offered a single class that just focused on welding and learning all the types.

Korndogg
11-02-2011, 11:30 AM
If you don't want to take classes.

Get a welder, get some scrap, and start practicing. Watch videos on youtube.

I took 4 years of stick welding (on pipe) and it comes with practice.

Boostaddct
11-02-2011, 11:32 AM
If you don't want to take classes.

Get a welder, get some scrap, and start practicing. Watch videos on youtube.

I took 4 years of stick welding (on pipe) and it comes with practice.

Great idea! Never thought of watching YouTube videos...can anyone give recommendations on what I should be looking at in a welder? I want to learn MIG and TIG welding.

Ricky Bobby
11-02-2011, 12:22 PM
It all depends on what u want to weld i have a mig welder a hobart 145 its a 110v and it works great for everything i need it to do bldg derby cars. Mig is gonna be the easiest to learn on its a lot more forgiving if u wanna try ur hand at it stop over have a 10lb roll and a bunch of scrap u can screw around with.

Ricky Bobby
11-02-2011, 12:25 PM
i started it out with a friends millermatic 225 and thats a lot of welder for my purposes but just had him show me how to do it and after 7yrs of welding on derby cars im not a professional but looks good and holds what it needs to, never had a cage break free in a derby and mine is also fluxcore but should be converting it to gas hopefully in spring

SSDude
11-02-2011, 12:28 PM
I feel the easiest to learn is wire/mig welding. I would look for a welder that can handle the thickest metal you want to work with. Having the gas shield is a big plus for better looking weld as you tend to get a lot of spatter with flux core mig wire.
Tig welding is a lot harder to learn and the equipment tends to be triple the cost of an entry level mig machine.
If you don't have someone to learn from a class or two at MATC or WCTC is a great way to get started without investing in the equipment.
I took the acetelyne welding class at MATC and it teaches you a lot of technique that made learning Tig easier.
in the end all types of welding will requre practice, practice, practice.

BR3W CITY
11-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Mig was fairly easy to learn, once you had the right stuff. If you buy, get a 110/220 switchable Mig, with a regulator. On home power (110) with gas it should be enough to do 90% of what you'd ever need to do, just make sure its plugged into a circuit with a big enough breaker. If you have 220 available, it allows for greater duty cycle, as well as helping you do heavier stuff if needed. I started with Flux core but switching to gas made life 1000% better.

I'm hoping to take a quick Tig basics class at MATC, so I can learn aluminum.

Boostaddct
11-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks guys! I will keep looking into classes at WCTC or MATC...I'll definitely need someone standing over my shoulder at first and giving me tips until I feel comfortable.

lilws6
11-02-2011, 02:21 PM
i could see how acetalene welding would help with tig. i would love a tig and mig welder as well but tig is really expensive. mig can get most of what you need done and its pretty easy to pick up. in high school we did stick, mig and acetalene welding. i got really good at stick and so so mig. acetalene ehh lol but what most people are saying with out classes the easiest way is to pick it up and use it. youtube can give you some pointers and talk to people you know that weld practice practice practice...

Rocket Power
11-02-2011, 03:45 PM
I have a 110v Miller with the infinite adjustment. I love the thing. You can dial it in better than the 4 position ones. Def get a gas mig rather than a flux core. I'd love to have a tig but its too much $$$$

Old Dog
11-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Try www.weldingtipsandtricks.com for how to advice. Lots of good info & videos available there.

lotsals1
11-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Yeah best bet is to learn by trial and error on your own..google the type of welding you want to do ...plenty of stuff out there and vids.. a good welder is kinda key.. a harbor freight one is crap...if you are serious start just stick welding buy a hobart stick welder " it will teach ya the art of stayin in your puddle and temp. Vs . Metal thickness yada yada.. once ya get the basics down move to mig then to tig but there you are talkin 2k plus for a nice welder ...miller makes a. Very nice mig/tig combo welder..

wrath
11-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Learn to weld well on a junk welder (like a 70-85amp fluxcore). Then when you think you have it pretty well down go buy something like a Handler 187. You will have a difficult time welding poorly once you switch to a decent machine if you learned on a POS.

Gregor
11-03-2011, 07:25 PM
I lucked out my dad was a weld QC inspector at the end of his welding career. Which he informed me that if I did for a living he would kill me. But he showed me a few pointers.

1. Get a book called "welding essentials". It breaks down the science of weld, math of a weld, and basic skill set needed.

2. Go get a GOOD welder, Hobart, Miller, or Lincoln. I had a Chicago (Harbor Freight) and it sucked.

3. Get the best Auto darkening welding helmet. Miller or Speedglas. This will save you a ton of headaches since you can keep the torch where you need it before you pull the trigger.

4. Welding leathers are nice so is a welding blanket to protect anything that you dont want slag on.

5. Get a car shell to weld on. There are a ton of diffrent welding angles, like fenders and floors. And if you trash it who cares. It will show you how to do plug welds, rosette welds, welding on thin sheet metal, welding on your back and basic sheet metal work. If you can get sheet metal from body shops, like dented fender that they are scraping out. They almost always just give them away. If you can weld sheet metal you can weld anything. (Without warping the metal and you will see if you are getting a good weld.)

6. Keep the metal clean and practice alot of practice. Every weld you do will better than the last.

My dad always said MIG is easy to learn, hard to master, Tig is hard to learn easy to master. And stick is well stick and is its own set of skills.

Korndogg
11-03-2011, 07:48 PM
buy one of these. http://www.designworldonline.com/articles/7872/250/Welding-Simulator-Slashes-Training-Costs-and-Materials.aspx

Boostaddct
11-03-2011, 11:54 PM
buy one of these. http://www.designworldonline.com/articles/7872/250/Welding-Simulator-Slashes-Training-Costs-and-Materials.aspx

That thing is awesome!

Korndogg
11-04-2011, 12:09 AM
haha yeah.

Like everyone said, mostly it just takes practice.

I've been stick welding for almost 6 years (4 years of welding classes for my apprenticeship) and I am still no where near where I would like to be but I also weld on pipe that holds pressure so it's a little different for me.

If you ever have a question about anything (I've welded MIG and TIG also) just shoot me a PM and I'll try to answer any questions you have. Even after you get a welder, if you get stuck on something and need a hand just let me know.

Boostaddct
11-04-2011, 12:14 AM
I appreciate all the tips, advice, and offers everyone....I'll definitely take them and put them to use...already looking for a decent MIG welder.

Boostaddct
11-04-2011, 02:17 AM
Looking for some advice...I'm looking at the Millermatic 140....any advice or other suggestions?

The Shaolin
11-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Totally worth your time and money to take a class at a community college or what have you. I took it in school and it would have taken me years of trial and error to get where I am now.