PDA

View Full Version : I need some ideas for a trophy--Pinewood Derby

badass88gt
11-01-2011, 02:39 AM
I need some ideas for trophies for my Cub Scout's Pinewood Derby. These are the participation trophies that every kid takes home but we have used the spark plug thing at least 2 years in a row, probably longer. We got a screaming deal on spark plugs for cheap, I'm looking for something different yet relatively cheap since we need about 50 of them. Any ideas, or any hookups for auto parts that are small enough to use in a similar way? I was thinking of small oil filters but I dont think I could get them very cheap. Any ideas? Thanks--Dan

http://www.wisconsinstreetdominators.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=21&pictureid=541

LEWETHETIGER73
11-01-2011, 07:02 AM
My troop used to go around and host derby races through out waukesha county and there are a lot of different ideas out there. I have seen ribbons with silk screened phrases on it like best blue car or best use of stickers or anything that would be a general ribbon but different enough so the boy feels special. But with 50 boys that will be difficult. You can always pick up small derby wheels or castor wheel and decorate them as awards. And be sure to grind down a flat spot so the can't roll around. You could even use donuts, cookies or cupcakes.

If I remember any more I'll chime back in

animal
11-01-2011, 11:17 AM
One year we got a simple wooden trophy with double stick tape on the top that they'd mount your car to at the end of the day... Then there'd be either participation plackards (sp?) or a winner plackard of some kind on the front, and maybe a cub scouts sticker or something.

WickedSix
11-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Chunks of 4"x4" for them to set their car on with a spray painted stencil designs on the front or hell you could wood burn it on or brand it on if you wanted...so they'd have an award that they could set their car ontop of....would be a bit of work but then they'd have an award/jackstand for their car

animal
11-01-2011, 01:51 PM
A chunk of 4x4 might look a little less elegant.... ones like in this pic could be made cheaply and still look decent. The one I got was like this only a little shorter.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd34/rakibby/Pinewood%20Cars/DSCN1917.jpg

lordairgtar
11-01-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm thinking find some old pistons (a car engine rebuild shop might have a bunch for free) with a connecting rod still attached. Clean piston and rod and tack weld rod so it stands straight up. Do not use the bottom cap as you want the thing to support a wood base. On the base a kid can place his car. You could screw the wooden platform onto the rod lower end with the cap bolts or epoxy it on. Epoxy piston onto larger wood base and coat with a clear paint or stain it. Get a trophy place to make the engraved tags. maybe they would provide it for free or cheep if you convince them that it's for the kids!

BadAzzGTA89
11-01-2011, 06:04 PM
What i would do is walk around Science & Surplus on 68th and oaklahoma and just look around you can make some pretty cool stuff simple and cheap!!