PDA

View Full Version : Chophouse

STANMAN
10-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Just thought I would write a review about a restraunt my wife and I dined at recently, the Chophouse right underneath the Hilton downtown (5th street). Menu is ala-carte, and relies heavily on seafood and beef. We both had steaks, you can have them prepared several different ways (I had mine blackened), with different "sauces" (I had black garlic truffle), and then of course how "done" you want it (medium for me). The sides are again, ala carte, we had a "trio sampler" which was 3 smaller portions of their normal sides, we chose mushrooms, asparagus, and lobster mac and cheese. We also had chocolate cake for dessert (all desserts were made on site). Everything was done to perfection, steak done EXACTLY how you ordered it, and I had a 12 ounce filet, which people usually screw up if they don't butterfly it. The didn't have to butterfly it, and it was still perfect. Wife had deboned ribeye well done (don't even start), and it wasn't a hockey puck, but a still very juicy well done steak. The sides were all fresh vegetables (amazing at this time of the year), and the lobster mac and cheese had BIG chunks of REAL lobster. The cake was awesome as well, although I am not a big chocolate person. I don't drink alchol, but the wife had a chocolate Martini, said it was the best she had ever had, all top shelf stuff.

So, some negatives, which are FEW. The price is above even what I was expecting, and I was expecting it to be as high as a giraffe's ass. Bill was $135 without tip, and the service was, of course, excellent, so a $30 tip was added. $165 for 2 people, with only 1 drink is pricey. The other negative is although the steak was VERY good, it's still only the 2nd best I have ever had. If you want a better steak (not as good of an atmosphere, location, ect) head to the Butler Inn in Pewaukee and get Louie's 5 Star, best steak I have ever had, period, and I am a steak person. $30 for the 5 Star with soup/salad, and a side.

So, that's my review. Anyone else been to either of the places I mentioned? Agree/disagree?

pOrk
10-29-2011, 06:13 PM
I've heard rave reviews about the Butler Inn and hope to try it sooooooooooon, thanks for the review on the Chop house, price is crazy

Cryptic
10-29-2011, 07:17 PM
EDIT!

I mean Butler Inn

sounds a little more my speed. Thanks for the review. I'd hate to shell out 165 bones for a meal. How would I ever buy big trucks then?

94greenbandit
10-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the review on the Chophouse. You can compare prices all day at places anywhere, it all depends on your type of atmosphere, how the place is advertising itself, and the freshness of the ingredients. I am sure you could go to Chicago and spend twice that at some restaurants.

CATNHAT
10-29-2011, 10:59 PM
I've heard rave reviews about the Butler Inn and hope to try it sooooooooooon, thanks for the review on the Chop house, price is crazy
Butler Inn in Pewaukee is excellent. Food, service, ambiance, etc.

Chophouse on the list. Heard lots of good things and Bobs review sounds good!

twicks69
10-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Thinking of steaks reminds me of the Tornado Room in Madison off the square next to the Capitol. YUMMY!!

My favorites are the bone-in tenderloin (20oz) and the bone-in ribeye (28oz), the pork tenderloin, and Coquille Saint Jaques (appetizer). http://www.tornadosteakhouse.com/index.html

Thank you for the review on Chop House!

Wagonbacker9
10-30-2011, 12:02 AM
I went to the chophouse in chicago last year. As I recall the bill was over $200 for myself and my fiance, her brother's and his wife's bill was over 300 with I believe 5 drinks, including a $13 baileys and coffee. The food was good, but I would not say it was double as good as say, the Out of Town club up in Appleton, or basically any good steak joint with a good reputation, at well over double the price.

badass88gt
10-30-2011, 12:35 AM
BCM needs a Restaurant Review forum....