PDA

View Full Version : Carmax experience so far......the good, bad and UGLY.

Russ Jerome
10-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Working 6 days a week sometime 14hr days I dont have time as a mechanic to go inspect owner advertised vehicle, tried the Carmax thing.

Wanted a 2002-2003 Bugeye WRX wagon, there asking price of $12k was in the area for a 93k mile car, not a bad price at all. A selling point was Carmax's gaurantee the chassis has not been crashed and they will stand behind it fully for 30 days, cool I bought it. A week in I get cylinder misfire codes in rain, freeway speed. Clear the codes and monitor misfires and inj cycles, its the coils. Watch the codes come back repeatedly. Call ahead and alert them I would like to come in, warn them they may want to get coils in hand.

Coil on plug 2003 Subaru system known to fail at 100k (car has 93k), no inj codes, no comp issues per idle, load and inj duty cycle per cylinder. Drop car off on a thurs, wife is given a loaner car. They call you daily with "updates", nothing realy to update as they have not done anything other than swapping coils around trying to get misfire codes to return. Duplicating what god does with high metal rain water is impossible we are given the car back the next tue (they didnt believe me when I said it needed a passenger window switch a week earlier so it sat there waiting on switch, the switch I found in stock at both Subaru and Oreilys). Punch line leaving? We filled the loaner car back up with fuel as requested while my WRX that had a full tank of fuel was given back with 3/4 a tank!!!!

Ok so you know what happens last foggy saturday right? Misfire codes on a few more cylinders. Again I call and say the "coil on" car is getting misfire codes when damp out. I clear codes sat and drive in rain on Sunday.....amazing cylinder misfire codes!! Ok so the car has been at Carmax Wauk both yesterday and today and I get the "daily update" call. "Hi this is dude from Carmax, my technician has not gotten the code to come back and wants to swap coils". ARE YOU F-ING KIDDING ME???? The time it takes to actualy swap coils now twice is more labor than the cost of coils? So Im left to believe they do not realy employ a technician but a yard guy with an OBDII code reader clearing codes or simply have not pulled a plug after seeing the labor involved in doing the actual diag.

If we were talking about an LS motor I would swap coils all day, swap plugs and hell inj numbering them all in different cylinders but this is a no brainer given the platform and its historical issues with coils at 100k. I dont need my OTC/Genisis scanner, my infa red heat gun or my 100k tool box to diag this the first thing my wife said was "You need to put plugs and coils on that car of yours the CEL comes on when I drive it in rain". So I have sourced out coils, can get 4 high end coils shipped to my door for $350 with liftime gaurantee, followed by a letter to my buddies at the WDMV on a dealer selling cars that wont pass emisions and need to flag future repairs related to FEPA madates done in the shop. This is exactly why real mechanics get a bad rap, a "service dep" who obviously has no clue on MPFI motors or elec vs mechinical diag, fundamental testing I could talk anybody thru over the phone.......should have spent 10k on a owner sold car :(

Al
10-28-2011, 05:41 PM
This is hard to read. You need to revise it.

jbiscuit
10-28-2011, 05:59 PM
cliff notes? Coil on plugs randomly misfire. Carmax should cover this. Can't you take the car back for 100% refund within certain amount of time? If so I'd suggest doing that. That price seems high for that car anyways if it is stock as a rock. I sold my 03 WRX wagon (sonic yellow, rare color) modded, with less miles and extra parts for less than that. I would buy a car from NASIOC boards all day long rather than deal with Carmax

Ricky Bobby
10-28-2011, 06:03 PM
reads fine for me

Waver
10-28-2011, 06:08 PM
cliff notes? Coil on plugs randomly misfire. Carmax should cover this. Can't you take the car back for 100% refund within certain amount of time? If so I'd suggest doing that. That price seems high for that car anyways if it is stock as a rock. I sold my 03 WRX wagon (sonic yellow, rare color) modded, with less miles and extra parts for less than that. I would buy a car from NASIOC boards all day long rather than deal with Carmax

I dont know if Carmax has a buyback gaurantee or not. If they dont, then since this was not an off site sale, he cannot return the car. No lemon law. He is stuck with it. Since they have their "we stand behind the car gaurantee" they should replace the coils free of charge....keep at them.

Wagonbacker9
10-28-2011, 06:10 PM

Carmax is a no-haggle, and they basically list at retail price. I'll never buy from them even if EVERYONE raved about their service and standing behind their cars.

Waver
10-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Keep in mind that the used car market has changed a lot from the time Jay sold his Subby and now. Less used cars out there=increase in pricing. The same car you could get form a dealer for 14k in 08/09 (like a 30,000 mile Milan) is going for about 2-3k more now.

jbiscuit
10-28-2011, 06:40 PM
no that isn't completely true on the price of the Subarus WRXs...granted the 03s are the most sought after WRX to date, you can still find a low mileage one with a few bolts ons for near that price with probably less miles and 110% maintained. Subaru owners seem to really take care of these cars, especially ones sold through NASIOC. Most will have complete maintenance logs, receipts...you name it since most know that is what will be expected in order to sell. Now I doubt these cars have gone UP in value since 2 years ago but I wouldn't doubt prices have leveled off some. I hope for Russ's sake if he does get "stuck" with the car he gets Carmax to fix the issues with the car.

lilws6
10-28-2011, 07:09 PM
i don't know who you are talking with at carmax but if you can get directly to the shop manager the guy that calls me for parts tell him he needs to call me i'll get him his coils for your car.

Lv2xlr8
10-28-2011, 07:17 PM
My buddy has a 2002 or 2003 wagon wrx silver, texas car with less than 100k for sale. Lives in Oconomowoc, had it for sale on craigslist.

Dr.Buick
10-28-2011, 07:22 PM
State will make them buy it back if it will not pass emmissions NICK

GHOSST
10-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Carmax is a joke. I once spent a day reading all the pages and pages of carmax complaints, before I knew anything about them. Granted some of people were complete fucking idiots and their complaints were stupid as hell. But they seem to be the Maaco of used cars. I passed quickly, and feel bad for anyone who has to deal with them. I mean how can you trust any place that doesn't hire actual certified employees, even if it is a "used" car lot so to say.

Russ Jerome
10-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Update (real computer, my phone broke up the post): If they cant figure out what a misfire code is on a good comp vehicle with no inj codes I figured I better not let some kid try and figure out how to put coils in a boxxer motor, I WANT to keep the car.

I took the car back, warranty is useless if they dont know what the hell they are doing. Took a whopping 2hrs of my own time to cofirm its simply the coils....we kinda knew that tho. My wife was correct, they never worked on the car at all since she dropped it off, my tape was still on the covers as a witness marks. Since they didnt even try in two days I cant fault there lack of diagnosis this time, had it for several days last time. Car will be done correctly and thru emmisions next week, live and learn I guess. Love the car, wish I went private party now but thats my fault, Carmax failed.

Russ Jerome
10-28-2011, 09:38 PM
The car is exactly what I wanted, 100% stock.....right down to coils and plugs! I would'nt even consider buying a modified subi given the limited adaptive learn of the electronic system, modified cars sell for much less than stock.

Its a lesson learned, it just sucks that I know exactly why there service department fails but a casual buyer at Carmax would be screwed or at best willing to put up with loaners and down time for weeks while they try and figure out common fail, simple fix issues. Loaner cars are fine, driving back and forth while they get a clue is more irretation than the $350 Im gonna drop on car, money well spent for my piece of mind its gonna be done right....yah they suck tho.

GHOSST
10-28-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm confused man, are you upset with your experience, content, or somewhere in the middle.. Your post jump in about three different directions, lol.

Wagonbacker9
10-28-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm confused man, are you upset with your experience, content, or somewhere in the middle.. Your post jump in about three different directions, lol.

I don't see anything other than frustration....

brotherbenn83
10-28-2011, 09:58 PM
If you have the talent and the know how to fix these issues, why leave it in the hands of someone else? I never let anyone work on my shit, let alone someone with unknown skills or no skills.

Russ Jerome
10-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Love the car, buying at Carmax was quick and easy, sales chick rocked,yes im terribly frustrated still as I type.
If you buy from them for some odd reason pretend its a "as is" sale, no service department available.

Most people on BCM know I am the mechanic other mechanics call, this is my warning to potential Carmax buyers.

Cryptic
10-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Most people on BCM know I am the mechanic other mechanics call, this is my warning to potential Carmax buyers.

Speaks the truth

BoosTT
10-29-2011, 12:51 PM
IDK... $350 on a car with 93k miles is a drop in the bucket. But, I do agree that carmax should not have given you the run-a-round.

lilws6
10-29-2011, 01:11 PM
just for reference i can get the coils for 95.66 ea but there oem replacements i'm not shure if they will have the same issue as factory but these are what carmax would probably order

Russ Jerome
10-29-2011, 02:45 PM
The failure prone 02-05 coils are gone, OE replacements are better now, thanks.
If anybody ask's the Beck Arney NIB $50 replacements are as good/better than new OE.

Black coils on 02-05: Bad mojo, replace.
White or gray on 02-05: Great, no known failures.

lilws6
10-29-2011, 02:52 PM
i didn't even look in my normal catalog my wels ones are 86 each wish i could get the back arnly stuff