PDA

View Full Version : cryo dipping?

Monstr913
10-17-2011, 12:09 AM
just wondering what if any benefits are to cryo dipping? also anywhere local that does it? looking at build motor in my truck and was thinking of having the rods cryo dipped to hopefully add some strength, wonder if its worth it?

BR3W CITY
10-17-2011, 11:11 AM
I've mainly seen it used in trans components for strength. I think it was Pwerks that did billet and cryo internals for the SRT when I had it.

I'm not sure how it works for engine stuff. I know it add's strength, but I'm not sure how it responds to heat.

PonyKiller87
10-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Like I said last night Therm Tech does it, and they are right by your work.

http://www.thermtech.net/waukesha/capabilities/cryo-treating-deep-freezing.aspx

twicks69
10-17-2011, 08:14 PM
I use 300-below in Chicago for my cryotreatment, and would recommend shotpeening your rods instead of only cryo. Cryo helps with durability and longevity through heat cycles while the shotpeening will use compressive force to increase the part's surface strength.

Tim Zimmer via Evo Phone

Monstr913
10-18-2011, 01:13 PM
so your says to cryo and shotpeening? or just shotpeening?

twicks69
10-18-2011, 02:54 PM
I would recommend shotpeening only or both cryo/shotpeening vs. Only cryotreatment. Rods usually fail due to physical stress from load more than they fail from thermal issues. For transmissions, I use both cryo and shotpeening regularly. If I am cryotreating a part only, I prefer to start with a new part that has not seen heat cycles yet. As well, I normally do shotpeening then cryotreatment. You can cryo any ferrous part. It works great on ferrous clutch materials, brakes, bearings, gears, etc. Pretty much beneficial to anything seeing a lot of heat cycles, extreme temperatures, etc.

Tim Zimmer via Evo Phone