PDA

View Full Version : slave cylinder woes (T-56)

Cryptic
10-15-2011, 04:51 PM
So I filled up all the fluids last week... My build is getting that close that I maybe able to start the car soon.

Bled the clutch with a remote bleeder line. I noticed this morning I have a huge puddle of fluid under the T-56 coming from the hole below the slave. I gave the clutch pedal a couple more pumps and it's leaking some more.

Could I have blown the slave out with too much foot pedal pressure? Is my only option now to drop the trans and replace?

*shoots self*

Dr.Buick
10-15-2011, 04:53 PM
never heard of that andy. is it shimmed correct

GHOSST
10-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Is the braided line from the clutch master cylinder to the slave good? And the fittings? Is that slave bleeder screw nice and tight?

I just replaced my clutch master cylinder and slave a couple months ago due to a sticking clutch, the slave was not fun in a driveway, lol.

Cryptic
10-15-2011, 08:59 PM
No shims.. I dont think they are required.

The clutch line is brand new. I suppose it is possible it leaking from the bleeder (where the remote bleeder line is screwed into). Either way I have to drop the trans. Hopefully I can reach all the bolts.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Ricky Bobby
10-15-2011, 09:43 PM
andy if u are doin it tomorrow lmk ill lend a hand

Cryptic
10-16-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm getting really mixed opinions on whether the SPEC clutches require a shim or not. Most say theirs never came with one. Some saying theirs failed because they added one.

I'm thinking something isn't tight enough.

Dr.Buick
10-16-2011, 12:02 PM
I know I have had to shim any aftermarket one i did

Moparjim
10-16-2011, 01:49 PM
My guess would be with the others either you have a loose fitting in there or it has travelled out to far as in it needed to be shimmed. I think if they overtravel you wreck the seal.

GTSLOW
10-16-2011, 05:12 PM
If it started leaking after you pushed it a few times then there's a chance the seals could have blew out. I know guys who put the Tick Adjustable master on there cars can actually over extend the slave or whatever its called.

Hopefully its just a bad connection or something simple.

Reverend Cooper
10-16-2011, 07:47 PM
prolly needs shims,my 3650 needed shims with a aftermarket clutcha nd flywheel

Ricky Bobby
10-16-2011, 10:54 PM
looks like was coming from the seal around throw out bearing everthing else was dry quick connect and the remote bleeder was tight and dry

wrencher
10-17-2011, 01:32 AM
This is your LS swap?
There is methods for checking for a shim.

During your next clutch install, determine if your slave cylinder needs to be shimmed or not. To do so, you need to take two measurements:
Measurement "A" is the distance between the surface of the bellhousing that meets the transmission to the tip of the pressure plate fingers. To get an accurate measurement, the clutch must be torqued properly.

Measurement "B" is the distance between the throwout bearing surface to the transmission surface that meets the bellhousing. To get an accurate measurement, the slave spring must be removed and the bearing must be fully seated at the bottom of it's travel; resting on the slave's base.
Once you've got your two measurements, make sure that measurement "B" is ~1/16" to 1/8" LESS than measurement "A". If you come up with more than 1/8", add an appropriately sized shim between the slave and the transmission in order to get the measurements where they need to be.

If there is no difference between the two measurements, or if "B" is greater than "A", there could be a problem with clutch engagement which could result in premature clutch slip and eventually a total failure.

wrencher
10-17-2011, 01:40 AM
Visuals :goof

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/5LTREATR/ameasurement.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/5LTREATR/bmeasurement.jpg

Wagonbacker9
10-17-2011, 03:43 AM
MSPaint masterpiece.

GTSLOW
10-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Not to bad actually for online tech. I give it a 7.5 out of 10. :goof

Cryptic
10-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Here are the measurements according to these guidelines.
http://www.tickperformance.com/product_images/a/692/T56worksheet__34713_zoom.jpg

I think I did bottom out the slave cylinder. I'm a little confused how much shim is required. I want to get this dead nuts this time around (IE: not have to drop the damn trans again)

I responded to a thread on LS1Tech
http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/1030815-does-your-clutch-setup-need-shim.html

Joey@Tick,

What would you recommend in this scenario? Your website has conflicting information (at least the way I am reading it). I would really appreciate it if you could clarify.

Here are my measurements:
A Measurement = 2.065
B Measurement = 1.832
Difference = 0.233

Quote from your website:
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-performance-slave-cylinder-shim-kit-3-pack/

Once you've got your two measurements, make sure that measurement "B" is ~1/16" to 1/8" LESS than measurement "A". If you come up with more than 1/8", add an appropriately sized shim between the slave cylinder and the transmission in order to get the measurements where they need to be.

Your “A minus B” measurement should be 0.125 to 0.200 for adequate bearing travel and to allow for clutch wear. If there is no difference between the two measurements, or if "B" is greater than "A", there could be a problem with clutch engagement which could result in premature clutch slip and eventually a total failure. Contact your clutch manufacturer before proceeding with the install.

I've read the above several times and it sounds like you are saying two different things.
Do I want to be between:
.0625 and 0.125
or
.125 and .200

Would it be more desirable (allow for wear) to be closer to .125 or .200?

Hopefully Joey@Tick replies. Anyone here have an opinion on this?

Moparjim
10-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Seems to me. 080 would put you soundly in the middle of the range.

Cryptic
10-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Spoke to the Tech Manager (Jeremy Auvil) at Spec Clutches. They recommend a gap of .175 to .225

So I guess I'll shoot for .175

Irish
12-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Spoke to the Tech Manager (Jeremy Auvil) at Spec Clutches. They recommend a gap of .175 to .225

So I guess I'll shoot for .175

Did you get it sorted out?

Ricky Bobby
12-10-2011, 09:10 AM
yea we had it all together the following weekend no leaks that we seen and he hasnt called me to tell me its pissing again

Cryptic
12-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Oddly enough the new slave (from NAPA) required no shimming. I triple checked the measurements because I sure as hell wasn't going to have to drop the trans again

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Ricky Bobby
12-10-2011, 07:27 PM
well we can do it quickly now if need be lol