PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for keeping a larger dog entertained while gone to work?

Cutlass Queen
10-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Posting this up as I am in need of finding ways to entertain the new dog while I'm at work for 11 hours a day. She's a mixed breed so I'm not 100% sure what kind she is but I know for sure she has Alaskan Husky in her by her eyes and some features. As of right now she's 44lbs and she's an older female about 5 years old but mischevious like a 2 year old. Just yesterday she decided to break into the treat cabinet to tear open the bag but didn't care to eat the treats then just left the mess.

I ended up being suckered into this starter package of toys at the humane society when I adopted her and so far I'm finding out that she loses interest in the toys very quickly. The kit came with a nylon bone, a bone filled with marrow, squeeky tennis ball, kong, and some squeeky kong wubba bubba toy or something. They also gave me her favorite rubber squeeky toy and a regular tennis ball.

She has yet to touch the nylon bone, and bone filled with marrow. She will chase the tennis ball when thrown, along with play tug with that kong wubba bubba toy with you. Sometimes she will play with her favorite rubber squeeky but very little now. I've read that this kong is suppose to keep the dog occupied when you stuff types of food in there but apparently so far not her. She doesn't seem to care for peanut butter and she will go for the kong type treat I put in there but the minute it's unreachable she quits. Any idea on what I can do to help her entertain herself when I'm at work? She doesn't seem destructive yet just seems she likes to make a mess in a room like a tornado hit it but not chew/eat anything she makes a mess of. Thoughts?

This is all new to me having a larger dog. THANKS!

Prince Valiant
10-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Every dog is different; some are very oral and love to chew, while others are very task driven and like to work, or think they're working. And then some just like to sleep all day.

For the moment, your dog is adjusting...so her disinterest in the toys you're giving her might simply reflect the stress of moving to a new place.

But it'll be a process of trial and error. What I would probably do is block the dog off from rooms/places where she could do the most damage or harm to herself. Maybe allow her in two or three rooms. Have a bed/place she likes to lie, and then put out an assortment of toys, chew toys, and perhaps inexpensive rib bones (best place to get them is fleet farm from what I've found), squeak toys, etc. Leave a sheet or blanket that you lie on out and about so that there is a strong and familiar scent to associate to, as well as help keep her calmer.

You have to understand, for a dog, being a den animal, it might be stressful to give them full run of your place for now. To them, that's more things for them to worry about, more possible areas where danger could come from. For our dogs, they get my office, the hallway, and the kitchen. We close the bedroom and bathroom doors and block off access to the living room, even though it'd give them a window to look out of. What happens is that gizmo gets stressed out about not getting all the squirrels, dogs, and people that walk by and becomes destructive. Keeping him out of there, we never have issues and he sleeps easily...and so do the other dogs.

For the first week, I'd see if a friend/family member could check on your pup and let her out, etc. As it becomes apparent to what she may need, adjust...but it might be she's just fine as it is.

And don't worry about her while your gone...that's one of the hardest things for new dog owners to get used to. She'll be fine!

michelle
10-13-2011, 08:51 AM
I keep both my Great Danes crated while I am at work, but the Beagles have free range of the house. Lola (GD) prefers to suck on blankets (she's 2 years old) all day, while Delilah sleeps (she's 6 years old). Both have toys in their crates, but I never see them move or look like they were chewed on.

They both like when I fill bones/Kongs with yogurt and freeze them overnight. Gives them something to work on right as I leave, but they are so used to the routine that I think they sleep the entire day. They never even bark when I put them in their crate, only when I come home and the Beagles are barking like crazy.

I used to feel really bad about crating them, but it's for their safety and comfort. Yes, if there is a fire (one of my big fears), then they are not able to get out as easily as the Beagles, but they could also get into something unsafe while I am not home and be in bad shape as well. Their crates are also the largest I could buy, so they have plenty of room to stand up completely, spin around, and spread out as they sleep.

If you need a large kennel for inside your house, I have an Uptown Dog Kennel I could sell you. I used it for awhile in the dog bedroom with Lola, but went to a more traditional style crate. I'm a little OCD, so I needed both crates to match.

http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3765125t400.jpg

Also, do you have someone that can stop in and take your new pup out? 11 hours is a pretty long time.

88Nightmare
10-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Crate training is your best friend. Keeps them safe along with the inside of your house

88Nightmare
10-13-2011, 09:20 AM
I crated my 8 week old lab right away. By 9.5 weeks, he stopped having accidents and held it in the 9 hours a day I was gone. 11 is a little bit long. My dog can handle 11 hours now that he is over a year

animal
10-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Any idea on what I can do to help her entertain herself when I'm at work?

Dog number two usually helps ;)

I've been through many of the same things with a 80lb lab. Kongs keep him occupied for about 15 minutes after we leave. He destroyed countless blankets and sheets and a futon mattress. We finally just started buying those cheep $2 fleece throw blankets from walmart for him to tear up. You could do something similar... since your dog doesn't eat or tear things up, maybe just start setting up things for her to mess up while you're gone. If she just likes the making of the mess, it should be easy to find things you can put around that will make an easy clean mess and also hopefully entertain the dog. My dog, too, gives up on treats if they're too hard to get at, but my dog also LOVES the hunt game where we hide easy to reach treats around the room while he is outside. It takes him almost an hour to find them all sometimes. Just make sure you don't hide them in, on, or behind anything destroyable like the couch or entertainment center though. Usually we use the beggin strips broken into little pieces.

Bliz35
10-13-2011, 09:46 AM
I went with the crate also. I have a 100 lbs german shepard and we did it from the start. He actually liked being in a secure place when we werent home. He would lay in it even when the door was open. He would go 10-11 hours without a problem after about 6 months of it. Otherwise, we use a doggy daycare now. 1 Day a week 10 bucks and your dog gets to run all day with other dogs. I usually take him on Wednesday, he comes home wiped out for the rest of the week. I am sure they have some close to where your at. There is like 10 of them in Madison.

Cutlass Queen
10-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Michelle I could use that kennel outside couldn't I? If I can how much ? That be perfect for her to be outside in when I'm outside doing yard work or if I have company over. I also want to put some type of large chain out for her to roam around the yard for her to get fresh air. Question on the yogurt in the kong - once it dethaws is it a bit of a mess at all? What kind of yogurt do you get to put in there? Have you tried anything else in the Kongs?

Dog #2 not interested in right now lol maybe down the road though. Def will try the treat hiding game though and possibly setting stuff up for her to make a clean mess of.

I'll def. put an old shirt or a blanket I don't care about in the room to help her adjust a bit easier with my scent on it. Yesterday I left her only the basement stairs and kitchen. When she broke into the cabinet for her treats she had the basement stairs, kitchen and hallway. Today I left her the same thing. Thinking of kid proofing my open basement so she can have the run of that too during the day.

michelle
10-13-2011, 10:20 AM
Michelle I could use that kennel outside couldn't I? If I can how much ? That be perfect for her to be outside in when I'm outside doing yard work or if I have company over. I also want to put some type of large chain out for her to roam around the yard for her to get fresh air. Question on the yogurt in the kong - once it dethaws is it a bit of a mess at all? What kind of yogurt do you get to put in there? Have you tried anything else in the Kongs?

Yeah, it's meant for outside. I just kept it indoors, so it's in brand-new shape. I put in on top of a piece of floor vinyl so she wouldn't dig at the carpeting if she ever felt like it. It's only 4'x4'x6'(high). Let me know if you think that's a good size. I have the top for it as well, just never used it.

As far as the yogurt, they would lick it before it ever melted so I never had a mess issue. It's also good for their stomachs, just like it is for us. I would just put regular yogurt - nothing flavored - inside of it. Their favorite thing is those marrow bones. I just refill them with yogurt or peanut butter.

I've also mixed yogurt or peanut butter with kibble and froze it in a Kong. You can plug the ends with peanut butter and fill the center with kibble, so it's an extra treat once they get the peanut butter out. Mashed banana works well too.

animal
10-13-2011, 11:44 AM
We pack cheetos or "pup corn" in the kongs too. I had to get all small dog kongs cuz my big dog is too lazy to lick out the bottom of the big ones.

Lv2xlr8
10-13-2011, 12:10 PM
We have a husky shepard mix, and he likes shredding cardboard. Like empty soda boxes, boxes from breakfast bars etc. Never chews on anything else. Doesn't like playing with his toys.

Cutlass Queen
10-13-2011, 01:52 PM
That's a good idea too thanks! I'll have to maybe get her a small one since she seems to be the same way and too lazy to try to get to the bottom of it (at least what I know so far).

Michelle how much you looking to get for the kennel with roof? She's about 44lbs right now and I'm assuming she'll be 50lbs or so once I get her to eat some more - shes way too skinny right now.

michelle
10-13-2011, 04:42 PM
That's a good idea too thanks! I'll have to maybe get her a small one since she seems to be the same way and too lazy to try to get to the bottom of it (at least what I know so far).

Michelle how much you looking to get for the kennel with roof? She's about 44lbs right now and I'm assuming she'll be 50lbs or so once I get her to eat some more - shes way too skinny right now.

$100 probably. Not doing me any good sitting in the closet.

Cutlass Queen
10-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Sending PM to you Michelle

Russ Jerome
10-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Cage/Kennel, I read LOTS before we got Maya and its reasuring to the dog while away.

Old Dog
10-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Our lab acts up when she doesn't get enough exercise. If I walk her a half mile or more, she's happy and causes no problems. If I don't walk her, she'll drag out shoes, shred paper, etc. This helped our dog's disposition quite a bit.

brotherbenn83
10-15-2011, 09:36 PM
A bone soaked in chloroform
A cat wearing a Michael Vick jersey

88Nightmare
10-15-2011, 10:00 PM
They key is to not let them be bored when you ARE home. Exercise, play, train... find out what your dog excels at. Personally, my lab is over a year old now, but he loves being in the crate. We give him a bone with a little peanut butter or a kong with some peanut butter smeared inside, and his crate is his chill time. He hangs out in there while we are at school or work, and then is as happy as can be when we are home. He loves training exercises, "searching" exercises, and play. If I spend an hour with him every day after I get home, he is an angel for the rest of the night.

Like someone else mentioned, doggy daycare is fantastic. Burns energy, encourages socialization, generally makes a happy dog even happier. Money well spent.

nismodave
10-15-2011, 10:24 PM
A Male Dog, A bowl of Wine, and Barry White on the Stereo.