PDA

View Full Version : lets talk turbos and liter bikes......

sloLs1
10-12-2011, 09:51 AM
anyone have a turbo on a liter bike?? ive always been debating the idea of going that route but havent ever poulled the trigger on it! is there any good articles out there?? ive been browsing around google and have found some turbo kits for many different bikes but havent read any real life reviews or talked to anyone with a turbo bike. I guess i would like to know how they ride and how reliable theyre.

thank you!

ps yes i have a need for speed and a death wish

outlawgibbs
10-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Alot more info would be helpful but Ill go with it. If done right a turbo bike can be just as reliable and easy to ride as any liter bike.... If you go with a small turbo that spools up faster it will be like riding a 2 stroke when it pulls boost, it will be lots of fun smoking the hell out of the tire at 100+mph but you better know what youre doing or itll spit you off fast. I would put a bigger turbo on so it spools slower, its much easier to handle the power. And for reliable refrence a friend from out of state built his own turbo kit for his 02 Blackbird and hes running about 225rwhp on the first stage and about 290rwhp on the second stage. He has put on over 40k miles since the turbo has been installed with no problems. If you want your bike to last you will need to install new internals or there wont be much garrenty itll last. Remember bikes are running a lot of compression already so to much boost without new pistons will result in a short lived motor

-stew-
10-12-2011, 09:59 PM
IDK how much will translate to your planned build, but they are liter bikes and there are a lot of very smart folks sharing information... http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148

sloLs1
10-13-2011, 07:41 AM
Alot more info would be helpful but Ill go with it. If done right a turbo bike can be just as reliable and easy to ride as any liter bike.... If you go with a small turbo that spools up faster it will be like riding a 2 stroke when it pulls boost, it will be lots of fun smoking the hell out of the tire at 100+mph but you better know what youre doing or itll spit you off fast. I would put a bigger turbo on so it spools slower, its much easier to handle the power. And for reliable refrence a friend from out of state built his own turbo kit for his 02 Blackbird and hes running about 225rwhp on the first stage and about 290rwhp on the second stage. He has put on over 40k miles since the turbo has been installed with no problems. If you want your bike to last you will need to install new internals or there wont be much garrenty itll last. Remember bikes are running a lot of compression already so to much boost without new pistons will result in a short lived motor

ya i know i was a little brawd with my questions but i do agree with the stock high compression. thats like one thing ive always wondered... a lt of those kits claim 6-8psi on a stock 12.0 compression motor! that seems high for pump gas! i was thinking about doing this on a 03-04 gsxr1000 if that helps

sloLs1
10-13-2011, 07:42 AM
thank you!

outlawgibbs
10-13-2011, 08:59 PM
I wouldnt go over 5psi with a stock motor and it would have to be intercooled and water injected. And it will more then likely have a short life span. But if you want to build your own turbo set up I have a Volvo T25 I was going to use on my bike laying around Ill give you a hell of a deal on. As for the bike the old gixxer 1000s make great drag bikes and there are tons of parts out there for them. If you want some info or looking for parts I suggest signing up on Psychobike.com http://www.psychobike.com/ They will know exactly what you will need to do for that style bike to make it work and get some sick numbers out of it.

sloLs1
10-13-2011, 10:11 PM
thanks for the info!

Crawlin
10-15-2011, 06:15 PM
yep, psychobike.com/forums is a great start for some information. alot of bad information on there in some spots

There are a couple people even local you can talk to. Moon's Supercycle I believe has even done his personal bike and was running low 9's on a short wheelbase street bike, not a long drag bike.

outlawgibbs may know more about it, and I know nitrouschris knows alot about it too

Boostaddct
10-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Moon and NOSChris are definitely the guys to talk to...I know there are a few other local guys that have experience in turbo bikes, but I don't know how to get in contact with them. I've been considering turboing my Busa over winter too.....

outlawgibbs
10-28-2011, 08:48 PM
I have Moons and Chris's number for anyone interested.

Nitrouschris
12-04-2011, 08:52 AM
If you wanna REALLY get to talking about fast stuff and friendly people that KNOW fast shiznit...check us out on 1320bikes.com!