PDA

View Full Version : Starter Issues.....AGAIN

nismodave
10-08-2011, 01:32 AM
Ill start at the begining....

2 or so Years ago the 240 was not starting....Had the starter rebuilt at MJ Electric.......Did not solve issue....They tested it again and said it was most likely Undervoltage.

I decided to install a RELAY that would bring power DIRECTLY off my power block under my hood. (battery is in trunk)

Solved the issue for almost 2 years.

This year I stop at a gas station coming back from RA.......I go to start the car, and the starter continues to turn after I let go of key, and even remove the key....I had to run to back of car and remove Batt Cable to stop it.

I take starter BACK to MJ and they repair it.....For a small fee....

So, everything was working fine for a while, then the car would not start again.....But only sometimes.....Seems like it only happens after the car has been driven, sits for a bit, then will not restart.

I have replaced the relay, I have rewired all of the connections to the relay and to the solenoid.

Tommorow I will check the Voltage at the Solenoid and see if it is getting the proper Voltage.

But I cant understand why I would be getting an Undervoltage due to the fact Im coming right off the power block.

Damn cars.....:fire

michelle
10-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Sounds like a huge pain. I was having starting issues all summer, so I finally gave up and moved my battery back to the engine bay. The length of battery cables and using a lightweight battery just wasn't a reliable combination. No issues yet and it's been a couple days. The car often wouldn't start after being driven for awhile, which was really inconvenient.

Hope you get it worked out!

Cryptic
10-08-2011, 08:38 AM
I would concentrate on anything to do with the solenoid. If the starter is staying on, something is grounding that relay. Wiring of the relay? Something in your ignition switch? Just throwing out suggestions.

nismodave
10-08-2011, 09:56 AM
The starter only stayed on that one time.

The issue is it not engaging......but only SOMETIMES. Thats the frustrating part.

-stew-
10-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Maybe you just need a new starter? How close to the turbo/exhaust is it? When it doesn't work are you getting power on the "start" wire (the small wire on the solenoid?) Is the solenoid mounted on the starter? Are you getting a voltage drop from the battery to the starter? Check all your grounds? How's the battery and charging system?

nismodave
10-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Well I had the car out today..... I stopped for a bit, the car would not start.

I called MJ Electric and the guy offered to come and help me get it started.

I got it started without him coming out,and went to thier shop.

He checked the voltages and determined that it still must be something in the starter....Perhaps dead spot in windings or bad solenoid.

Im bringin it to him monday.

Although this is frustrating, I have nothing but positive things to say about these guys at MJ. They are doing everything they can to help me.

95-1LE-Z28
10-08-2011, 06:19 PM
I hope you get it all sorted out Dave. BTW, It turns out my oil pressure issue wasn't anything major. There were some clips for the gauge wiring that had come loose. Nick popped the clips back in and the gauge stabilized. Boy am i relieved..

nismodave
10-08-2011, 07:05 PM
I hope you get it all sorted out Dave. BTW, It turns out my oil pressure issue wasn't anything major. There were some clips for the gauge wiring that had come loose. Nick popped the clips back in and the gauge stabilized. Boy am i relieved..

Thats VERY good news.

Nick had another starter for me, that I bought from him today.....Car is back on the road.

95-1LE-Z28
10-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Thats VERY good news.

Nick had another starter for me, that I bought from him today.....Car is back on the road.

I'm glad to hear the issue is resolved.

Russ Jerome
10-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Heat soak is obviouly the issue, at the starter bendex or at signal side.
My car Im adding a dedicated "start" switch, isolated from ignition circut.
This will isolate 98% of issue, rest is internal starter problem.

Just my 2 cents....Im new to this thought :(