PDA

View Full Version : 3rd shift sleep advice

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
09-29-2011, 05:21 PM
I recently changed jobs and now work 3rd shift from 7pm to 7am. What tips of tricks can you provide to help try and sleep during the day? I use ear plugs and have the room nice and dark, but i only find myself getting on average 4hrs of sleep. Any tricks you have are appreciated.

Korndogg
09-29-2011, 05:30 PM
I switch back and forth quite a bit throughout the year but I really haven't had too much of a problem sleeping. I would usually come home, take a shower, grab something to eat and have a couple beers. I was usually so tired that I fell asleep pretty quickly.

CPonyGo
09-29-2011, 05:33 PM
I have been on third 10-6am all year...I dont sleep well but dark is good..a nice cool shower to help achive rem sleep quicker..I slept around 4-5 hours and got up and laid down for an hour or less before going in again and that worked for me but you are on a 12 hour shift...

GHOSST
09-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Lets see, I worked 3rd shift for 4 years straight, and honestly nothing can really help to fix years and years of sleeping like a normal person, lol. It just takes time, it gets better after awhile. Noise and light are the biggest things, light especially for me, I had to black my room out. Noise is almost impossible to block, because everyone is up doing normal things. I was taking Tylenol PM for awhile, and that stuff will knock you out, but I built a tolerance for it real quick. After awhile I could sleep right when I got home around 8am, and not get up until a couple hours before work, but not always, some days I just couldn't sleep. Its just unorthodox for the body, and honestly as soon as I went back to a first shift setting I had the best sleep in years. Oh, a guy I worked with was on his 18th year doing 3rd shift, and his system was weird, he would sleep right away when he got home for a few hours, wake up, do what he has to, and sleep until he has to go to work. I never tried it but it just seemed to much. Good luck man!

michelle
09-29-2011, 05:48 PM
I used to work 3rd shift while in college. I would work 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. and then head back to my apartment to shower and go to all my classes. Then go to sleep after finishing up any classwork and wake up in time to get ready/leave for work. Worked well, besides balancing a relationship with someone on 1st shift who would call while I was sleeping. I also worked at a group home, so I did my classwork while the residents were sleeping, laundry was going, etc.

Took a long time for me to adjust to it though. I would throw the TV on a sleep timer too, in case my roommate came home or had friends over, I didn't really hear them. Good luck to you Ben!

Neal Steffek
09-29-2011, 06:56 PM
I get home from work at about 4am. By the time I get to bed it is about 5am. Only thing you can do is turn off your phone, close the blinds, and get used to it.

Rocket Power
09-29-2011, 07:08 PM
I work a 4-2/5-2 3rd/2nd swing shift, 2- 3rd shift days 12-8 and 2 or 3 2nd shift days. on my off days I switch back to a first sht schedule.lol My first day back I sleep as long as I can usually around 10am then go back to bed for a nap a few hours before I go in. Sometimes it works but when it doesn't, after being up 20+ hours I have no problem sleeping until 4pm my second 3rd shift day. LOL

Reverend Cooper
09-29-2011, 07:13 PM
talk to danno ben lol

Holeshot
09-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Ambien! I take it just before bed. If I don't I can's sleep through the night.

Yooformula
09-29-2011, 07:40 PM
have you tried a sleep eye cover? I have a cloth one filled with beads that I keep in the freezer. work great for when I had to sleep during the day.

badass88gt
09-29-2011, 07:46 PM
What do you consider "dark"? In my bedroom I have a thick light-blocking shade, I also have 2 large pieces of black felt over the window, with towels rolled up at the top. That keeps out all the window light during the day. Sometimes if the light under the bedroom door bugs me I will roll up a towel there too, in that case I can't tell AM from PM until I look at a clock. I can easily sleep 6-8 hours during a sunny day. I agree with the shower thing, but I like going in bed nice and clean, helps me get comfy.

Dr.Buick
09-29-2011, 07:49 PM
I got it tug! Don't work 3rd shift

Flicktitty
09-29-2011, 08:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owNO5s3eln4 should work.

03Seville
09-29-2011, 10:50 PM
I was on 3rd shift for about a year and at first hated it but actually grew used to it fairly quick. After busting your ass for 12 hours, coming home and eating breakfast/dinner with your family all you want to do it sleep. Throw some good window covering up that blacks out the room and you'll have no problem.

wikked
09-30-2011, 03:03 AM
Tire yourself out even more. Go workout, or clean the house, work on cars, have a shot after...

Silver86
09-30-2011, 10:04 AM
it just takes time.

i dont remember exactly what i did when i started 3rd at charter... that was nearly 8 years ago.

The Shaolin
09-30-2011, 10:44 AM
I had the same problem a few summers ago until I moved my mattress into a walk in closet. Slept like a baby after that! I actually had to set an alarm or I would oversleep during my 12 hours at home.

animal
09-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Also check into a sleep sound machine too. Worked for my dad for 35 years.

Also as said, black out the windows.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
09-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Managed to get almost 5hrs sleep today, and feel a little more rested. Do any of you guys take sleeping pills or Benedryl to help you sleep?

Also, for those on 3rd shift with families, do you revert to normal schedule on your days off? On the day you go back, do you try and take a nap to get you through the shift?

xxtremeteam
09-30-2011, 02:46 PM
When I did 3rd I slept maybe 6 hours on a good day and my days off I went back to normal life like when I worked 1st shift

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
09-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Has anyone ever heard or tried this (http://ambesleep.com/)

brotherbenn83
09-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Study the dictionary definitions of the words advise and advice until you are so fucking bored you fall asleep.

tommyt5078
09-30-2011, 03:34 PM
If you can STAY way from stuff that helps you sleep.......................other then ALC./WEED...............................one day you take one pill two weeks later its two and then so on and before you know it you can't without the pill!!!!!

badass88gt
09-30-2011, 04:53 PM
I would say pills are a bad idea. Give it some time, you'll be exhausted at first but you will get into the pattern you need. I go back to a normal human's schedule on days off with the family.

nismodave
09-30-2011, 06:48 PM
http://www.klwines.com/images/skus/630010x.jpg

STANMAN
09-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Study the dictionary definitions of the words advise and advice until you are so fucking bored you fall asleep.

Hahaha!

Gregor
10-03-2011, 10:46 PM
When I worked 3rd shift for the first week it was hard to get use to it. My sleeping pattern would out of wack with me always wakeing up every 2 hours. It took about a month to sleep thru the day. But I found that it was easier to sleep if I didnt go to bed till later in the day. So I worked 2200 Hrs to 0600 Hrs but would stay up till 1200 noon.

Stay away from pills they will only make it worse.