PDA

View Full Version : Pipeline Trail?

Prince Valiant
09-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Anyone familiar with the pipeline trail? My understanding is that it starts or runs through Onconto WI, and is a decent trail. Some mud, some rocks, even a little bit of a switchback or two.

Looking for a decent trail to take the Wrangler on and an out-of-state mentioned this. Didn't know if anyone else had experienced/heard of it.

Chris

pOrk
09-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Didn't they close that off to the public?

73MACH
09-28-2011, 05:08 PM
I don't know if it's closed or not but I used to go there when I lived in Green Bay. Every holiday weekend it's nothing but a drunkfest @ night, fun as hell during the day. If it's wet, you better not go without another truck to pull you out!!! Tweaked my frame getting pulled out of the wash out, my doors still don't close the same.....

outlawgibbs
09-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Do a youtube search. I dont know if anythings changed but 10 years ago when I was into wheeling if you didnt have 44s and a winch you stayed on the trailer. Course that was in the spring as well so maybe things are a little taimer in the fall after everythings had time to dry

Prince Valiant
09-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Didn't they close that off to the public?Not sure...

I don't know if it's closed or not but I used to go there when I lived in Green Bay. Every holiday weekend it's nothing but a drunkfest @ night, fun as hell during the day. If it's wet, you better not go without another truck to pull you out!!! Tweaked my frame getting pulled out of the wash out, my doors still don't close the same.....Do you know how the best way to get to the trail? Which hwy to start off of, where one would finish?

Do a youtube search. I dont know if anythings changed but 10 years ago when I was into wheeling if you didnt have 44s and a winch you stayed on the trailer. Course that was in the spring as well so maybe things are a little taimer in the fall after everythings had time to dryI've seen some pics and there looked to be challenging parts...but as long as it's not wet, I wouldn't be too worried. Most the vehicles in the pics I saw were of similar capability to the my stock wrangler with decent tires (a couple Xj's, a TJ, and an Izuzu Trooper).

I'll look around and see if there is any info on this being closed or not. It'd be a shame because there aren't too many (if any) decent wheeling places on the east side of WI, much less SE WI.

There's that one place in IL (near champaign iirc), but that looks insane...no way a stock wrangler piloted by a novice would make it in one piece, lol.

-stew-
09-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Its still open. Big March of Dimes vent up there this weekend

outlawgibbs
09-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Ever check out Dresser Wi. They have a huge meet memorial weekend. Im not sure if they do it any other times during the year but that was hands down the best wheeling experince ive ever had. I went there a few years before I sold off the Bronco

Heres some info for ya. http://mw4wda.org/2011/07/the-minnesota-go-4-wheelers-invite-you-to-two-4-wheeling-events-at-trollhaugen-ski-area-dresser-wi/

wrath
09-28-2011, 07:43 PM
There are better places to wheel.

They have pretty good reviews on the forum below. Yes, I'm a member there also.
http://www.wi4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=399

10 years ago the pipeline was a lot different. Now there are bypasses for everything. Locked front and rear with 33" or larger Real Tires (TM) such as TSLs, Boggers, IROKs, LTBs, Rockers, et cetera and you can make most of it. There are parts of it that 44s with rear steer have a difficult time due to people with bigblocks, portals, and tractor tires being out there. At one time they were trying to keep people with tires bigger than 40" off like McCaslin.

If you're not used to high-stress wheeling (lots of people, mostly drunken fudgepackerbackers with toggle throttle) I'd go somewhere else like McCaslin.

I also don't know if I'd take a stock Wrangler (YJ/TJ/JK?) unless it was a Rubicon with real tires and a winch, or at least sticky MTRs, on the Pipeline. Unless it's a POS YJ or TJ then who cares. I definitely wouldn't take a 4 door non-Rubicon on it. But I also don't like being the guy who gets told, "Attach this to the part of your rig you want me to pull out".

BR3W CITY
09-28-2011, 09:37 PM
someone had also told me pipeline was closed, but I'm glad to hear its not. I wanted to just spectator a bit and see whats good.

73MACH
09-28-2011, 10:45 PM
hwy w west out of crivitz fot a good half hour til you get to the crooked lake area, Look for MARTIN LN., take a right, follow the road, it will turn into gravel, keep going. This is just one section of the pipeline. It's the only place I ventured to so I don't know where the other spots are. Hope this helps