PDA

View Full Version : For Christ's Sake!!!

Plum Crazy
09-27-2011, 08:40 PM
I just got an infraction from a local late model chrysler forum for using the word "retarded". WTF????

Thank God this site isnt like this.:headbang

spooln30
09-27-2011, 08:55 PM
That's retarded. Lol.

Holeshot
09-27-2011, 08:58 PM
The word retarded is now considered racist and thats probably why your were infracted. Some boards are very politically correct and strict with their rules. Because this board is privately owned Andy is more laid back as he has no one to answer to.

GHOSST
09-27-2011, 10:39 PM
It offends Todd.

lordairgtar
09-27-2011, 11:31 PM
The proper term is "intellectually disabled"

97z2801ss
09-28-2011, 12:56 AM
Here I thought it was mentally challenged or mentally disabled. I have an aunt that is challenged disabled or whatever is correct now. so I can see the offense but it's such a normal word to describe something or whatever with people nowadays. Just have to be careful

GTSLOW
09-28-2011, 03:16 AM
T549VoLca_Q

Those who have their speakers on at work will thank me later. :goof

michelle
09-28-2011, 06:11 AM
I give warnings if I hear it at school. Not a describing word, if you ask me, in the way it is typically used. Same thing with saying "gay" to describe a person, event, whatever.

Just makes people/kids sound dumb. But ya'll are adults and stuck in your silly ways. :goof

88Nightmare
09-28-2011, 06:35 AM
I use "gay" as an adjective very often. I feel it really livens up a conversation. I especially enjoy using it in the presence of heterosexual individuals who are oddly extremely offended by it. And also out of spite from those Hilary Duff commercials. :)

WickedSix
09-28-2011, 07:05 AM
Retarded when referring to a mentally challenged person is accurate, because it means sub-optimal. In the car world think of it in terms of ignition timing, when the timing is below optimal we call the timing retarded. It is the conotation of the word retarded or more so 'tard' that has led to more politically correct terms. iirc it went from mental retardation, to mentally disabled, and finally to mentally challenged which I believe is the most current politically correct term.

Using the term gay on the otherhand to describe something bad isn't an accurate use of the word. So if you use the word gay to describe something bad, then you are pretty retarded :D

GHOSST
09-28-2011, 08:04 AM
Everything in the American language today is offensive, its getting fucking ridiculous.

Greetings and salutations, fuckers, be well. Haha.. San Angeles anyone?

I can seriously cut down on my use of the re-re word. But gay? Give me a break. I hate those commercials with a passion. Its like the whole WWF thing, like really? Are you serious? America's going to hell in a hand basket, just make sure your arsenal is packed and ready! :thumbsup

Waver
09-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Well it could be worse. I have seen on some Mustang forums people get banned for saying that they are going to be parting out a rusty junked up 4eyed car.....Those Bastards!!!!

nismodave
09-28-2011, 09:29 AM
43oJl4nc_wA

Prince Valiant
09-28-2011, 10:02 AM
A point I had made earlier in the chatbox was this:

Whenever a word is used to describe a negative, the word then becomes negative...and used in negative lights. In the crusades against words like "Retard" and "Gay", this is simply rehashing self-righteous battles fought earlier.

The word Retard was used to describe people who were deemed with the medical term of "Mental Retardation"; prior, these individuals had been medically termed "imbeciles", "morons", "idiots", "cretins", "mongoloids". And yes...ALL those terms were medically correct terms used to describe people who had congenital defects resulting in abnormally low IQ's or function.

Much like the word "handicapped" is no longer socially acceptable when referring to the disabled. Oh, and disabled is becoming verboten in describing the "physically challenged" or "differently abled." Of course, the terms we used to use like Lame or infeebled...now commonly used as negative descriptors.

Like negro becoming black, which is now african american.

The point is is any word that is connected with negative, will itself be used as a negative. I mean, maybe we shouldn't call people negative things, but good luck with that. Of course, many of those words aren't as negative or has strong meanings to words they used to apply to. Most of us wouldn't be struck by the irony of a guy with a physical disability if he/she said "that movie was so LAME!"

To me though, campaigns like this only give MORE power to those who use the words that supposedly offends; If you teach us that the word is powerfully negative, and that we'll get a strong response when its used, you'll find there are those that want that response and power and thus use the word.

My wife is getting a little more laid back around me...but she used to be among those who were perpetually offended (she comes from a family of feminist libs, go figure). She'd always be offended by this or that...and soon it was like why give someone the power to affect you like that? Why be upset because of what someone says or thinks? You can't control other people, so why let them have so much control over you?

Campaigns like the one in the youtube ("the R-word") ultimately won't succeed...and also end up giving more power to those who seek to harm or hurt, since now they only have to utter a word to do so.

SSDude
09-28-2011, 12:08 PM
I just got an infraction from a local late model chrysler forum for using the word "retarded". WTF????

Thank God this site isnt like this.:headbang

It was on a Chrysler forum. What were you expecting?

BR3W CITY
09-28-2011, 12:45 PM
so what your saying is the chrysler forum is run by mongoloid faggot retards?

man, I've really got to use mongoloid more. And cripple.

CATNHAT
09-28-2011, 01:09 PM
And you used the the good lords name in vain in your thread title.

GHOSST
09-28-2011, 01:09 PM
43oJl4nc_wA

Kth0UOU5a_M&ob

lol!

lilws6
09-28-2011, 05:09 PM
And you used the the good lords name in vain in your thread title.
he didn't say jesus first

Plum Crazy
09-28-2011, 08:09 PM
he didn't say jesus first

I was talking about his brother, Craig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPdFrW076R0

That_Guy
09-29-2011, 10:33 PM
taRDS..